• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

House Rule: Ammunition

DiceyDM

First Post
The OP's idea is risky, because a PC could roll LOSE-YOUR-QUIVER on his first shot. Then the session would be short by a player. Also, it should be noted that wearing two quivers will introduce some interesting gear complications, the most common of which being that using a backpack becomes impossible.

I don't see how this is a major problem. RPGs are RISKY. Yeah it would stink to lose your quiver on you first attack, but this is D&D and we have creativity on our side. As a player if I lost my last quiver I would just switch over to my melee weapon and just have to get up close and personal-so be it. Or if I am a die hard ranged person, I would burn my next action to "use an item" and grab a team mates quiver who is busy in the melee. Then out of combat during a short rest I would ask the DM what my options are for either making a new quiver of arrows or my chances of finding new ones in the dungeon/area. Also the whole 2 quivers being a problem gear wise...what if your back pack had the quivers in it- like on either side, like modern day water bottle fish nets on either side. When I say you lose your quiver I imagine the contents are what are spoiled. maybe you pull out an arrow and as you do the rest fall out too and when you took aim you stepped on them. Its not like I'm asking people to go get leather and stich something together. Again this is about AMMO.

This is all personal preference. I play with 5-6 people in their mid 20s's who have never played D&D before I introduced them to Next. Our sessions are filled with hops and "incense" so the ultimate goal is to have fun. I don't want to worry if one of my players has 11 arrows or 18- and neither do they. My house rules are to increase rate of play, and get into the actual adventure. Were not a bunch of stat and accounting people or major stickler for rules. That's why we love D&D Next- simple and has lots of D&D (advantage is so clean and awesome). If I wanted a game with crazy math I would play 3.5 or PF where everyone has ACs in the 30s, you have to make sure you have your adding your +12 to hit for this or that but make sure you subtract 6 because of "Y" skills are crazy over the top and everyone is obsessed with how cool and unique their character is instead of the adventure.

In response to Danny Alcatraz, I also do this for anyone making a ranged attack with non ammo weapons to make it fair. But this one has remained at a natural 1 or a natural 3 (if its magical e.g. Lightning Javelin). Because "you throw javelin at hill giant. He snaps it in half as he beats it away when you throw it at him"- as an example.

I am not interested in playing a Serious, Realistic Game. I want to go on a fantasy adventure. "Don't tell your DM, but to play a good RPG, you don't need rules at all." -Someone on Hack N Slash blog

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads