• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E House Rule: Card Initiative

Dausuul

Legend
What about PCs who have advantage on Initiative due to class features or magic items? How many more cards should they get?
Hmm, that's another good question. I think it would work simply to double your number of cards--it should have the same outcome as rolling twice. Of course that would get insane if the character had a really high bonus to begin with. There might need to be a hard cap on how many cards you can get.

A tougher issue is what happens if you have disadvantage on initiative, say due to exhaustion.

Dausuul

Legend
Are players allowed to see another player initiative card? if they aren’t, how strict do you intend to be?
The idea is that the flip doesn't even happen until it's time for the next turn. So at the start of a round, I shuffle and flip the first card. It's an "Alice Card," so Alice goes. Resolve Alice's turn. Then I flip the next card, and it's a "Monster #1 Card," so Monster #1 goes. Et cetera.

Nobody, including the DM, knows who's next until it's actually time for them to go.

Laurefindel

Legend
The idea is that the flip doesn't even happen until it's time for the next turn. So at the start of a round, I shuffle and flip the first card. It's an "Alice Card," so Alice goes. Resolve Alice's turn. Then I flip the next card, and it's a "Monster #1 Card," so Monster #1 goes. Et cetera.

Nobody, including the DM, knows who's next until it's actually time for them to go.
Ah ok. So the value of the card itself is irrelevant. Only the number of cards you have in the flip deck changes the odds.

So they don’t need to be playing cards then. It could be pieces of paper with the name of players on them for all we know.

How do you intend to know which card belongs to which player?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
In my groups this alone would slow things down. By knowing when you turn is coming up, you have time to decide on your action and look up things if you need to before hand. This would make decision time lag more than the potential benefit, at least for us.

We currently track initiative in an excel spreadsheet everyone can see. It has a macro so the DM just asked for rolls, clicks a button, and boom it is done. While I can see some of the nice elements this system could add, I don't think over all it would be worth the time and other issues.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
So, I had an idea for an initiative house rule, and wanted to toss it out there and see what people think.

The goal: In principle, I like the idea of rolling initiative each round. I hate the predictability of side-based or regular cyclic initiative; I don't want players strategizing around knowing exactly who goes in what order. However, rolling each round and then sorting out who goes when seems like a major hassle--just not worth the effort.

I know one approach to initiative is to give each combatant a card and shuffle them, but this has the effect of negating high initiative bonuses. My party includes an assassin rogue, so that's a big deal. But... what if you could get more than one card?

The house rule: Each combatant (or, for monsters, each group of combatants) gets a number of initiative cards based on their modifier. If your modifier is +1 or less, you get one card. If it's +2 to +4, you get two cards. If it's +5 to +6, you get three cards. For each point above 6, you get an additional card.

Each round, the DM shuffles the cards, then flips them over one at a time. When one of your cards comes up, if you haven't taken a turn yet, you take your turn. The rest of your cards are simply discarded when they come up.

Why those numbers of cards? They roughly match the result of rolling for initiative by the book. There's some math involved, but the idea is that we pick any two combatants X and Y with different initiative modifiers, determine the chance that X goes before Y, and give each one a number of cards that results in a similar chance for X to beat Y. It lines up remarkably well.

The benefits, in theory:
  • The benefits of high initiative are preserved.
  • Rolling initiative and tracking it are combined into one system, streamlining play.
  • You can't strategize around who goes when, even within a single round.
  • Adds excitement with each flip of a card. Do I get to go next, or does the monster in my face?
  • Opens up scope for other improvements. For instance, a limited form of "delay" could be introduced by shuffling your card back into the deck. Legendary monsters could have legendary action cards so the DM doesn't have to remember to inject an LA after each player turn. Etc.
Possible issues I can see:
  • In a party with a lot of Dex-based PCs, or encounters with high-Dex monsters, there could end up being an awful lot of cards, resulting in "(flip) Bob's card. He already went. (flip) Alice's card. She already went. (flip) Bob's card. He already went. (flip) Carol! You finally get to go!"
Thoughts? Ideas? Criticisms? I'm probably going to put this to my players tomorrow evening and see if they're willing to give it a try.

Yup, I have a document with a couple dozen systems in it, and this is one of them. I've built such decks in Roll20, and the faster characters often act earlier in a round, but not always. You could also do this with an Excel sheet or rollable table in Roll20 where you increase the odds of one selection, and set it not to select the same character until they are all selected. Not sure about Foundry, Astral, or Fantasy Grounds and how their rollable tables work.

My players paid more attention in the two fights we ran this way, because they never knew when their turn would come up.....

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Ah ok. So the value of the card itself is irrelevant. Only the number of cards you have in the flip deck changes the odds.

So they don’t need to be playing cards then. It could be pieces of paper with the name of players on them for all we know.

How do you intend to know which card belongs to which player?

Several options:

Using a VTT, you make a deck with the character names
Using decks of cards, every player and monster gets a car in front of them, with matching cards in the deck. Could even be "7" for a player, rather 7 of clubs.
Make cards or buy them from Paizo or whomever, there are some nice ones out there.

Remove ads