• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

House Rule Help

TYPO5478

First Post
I'm looking for suggestions on a house rule I came up with.

Backstory: During a session few weeks ago, one of my players had a really great role-playing moment. I was so impressed, I said, "You get two RP points for that. Just write them down on your sheet somewhere," without even thinking about what I would do with them. Since then, each player has gained a few RP points here and there. Mostly, they're awarded semi-arbitrarily (and sparingly) but I try to use them to encourage good role-playing in a group that is particularly used to metagaming.

Now I'm trying to figure out what to let my players use these points for. I've got a few ideas, but I'd like some help nailing down costs. Here's what I've got so far:

Use Role-Playing Points: As a free action, you may spend RP points to gain any of the following benefits:

• Buy an Action Point (5 RP points)
  • Reuse an Encounter power (10 RP points)
  • Reuse a Daily power (15 RP points)
  • Reroll a single D20 that you rolled (20 RP points)
  • Add a +1 bonus to your D20 roll before you roll (2 RP points per +1)
  • Add a +1 bonus to your D20 roll after you roll (4 RP points per +1)
What do you think about those numbers? Too high? Too low? Any suggestions on other things to spend RP points on? Any help is appreciated.

Appleseeth

First Post
It all depends on how often you actually give these out, and how often you want those effects to happen. Mind you, as you gain level and gain access to more and more daily and encounter powers, those will matter less.

Overall though, I think the reroll a d20 should cost the same as a reuse and encounter power.

As a bit of aside, my group does something like this, assigning style points, or taking them away, when one of us does something spectacular, either stupid or awesome. Action Point use is one area where these come up more often, so if you find you're giving out a lot of RP on action point use, I'd suggest you up the cost of getting an Action Point.

Also, you might want to toss some specific Skill Challenge RP point use in there, unless you don't use Skill Challenges at all.

redrover

First Post
Since you are giving the points for role-play, you might consider working out a method to spend the points on role-play.

Instead of giving mechanical benefits, let the players help write the story.

Let them buy small additions to a scene, create relationships with NPCs, add flavor bits, create a plot twist, plant their own adventure hooks, humiliate their favorite enemies, and so on.

For example,

1. Prop on the Scene. The players are relaxing in the local pub when they are spotted by an NPC they don’t like. He insults them. One player thinks “If I only had a cream pie…” And says “DM, how many RPs to add a cream pie to this scene?”

One RP and a few seconds later, in walks the barmaid. On her tray is a freshly baked cream pie meant for another table, and she passes near the PCs…hilarity ensues.

2. “I forgot…no, I didn’t”. Allow a player to spend an RP to have any small non-magical piece of equipment that nobody has listed on their character sheet. The item must be immediately usable in the current scene. Additional RPs might be charged based on item value and how implausible its introduction into the scene would be.

3. My Old Chum. By spending RPs, a player might establish that, for example, the local (unnamed) hedge wizard is actually Farkle, his old school chum. Maybe 1 RP to name and 1 RP per two keywords added to the descriptive detail.

“Farkle (1), my friend (½) was always fat (½) and lazy (½), but he would slip me free food (½). = 3 RP, so far. He likes wands (½), but really (½), really (½) hates spiders (½) = 5 RPs total).” (DM decides the emphasis on hating spiders manifests as a fear penalty, should a future situation come up)

4. Social Climbers. The local baron’s daughter is having a coming out party. While the population in general is invited, very few get to sit at her table. A PC might “buy” a scene that gets him a seat with RPs.

5. The Lucky Break: The classic is the explorer tied up by cannibals, who “suddenly remembers” the sun goes into eclipse in a few minutes… (No Bluff check, this is actually a minor variant of #7.) The key element is that the eclipse is unscripted, the RPs add it to the script.

A variation is that an apparently dead NPC is barely hanging on long enough to deliver an additional clue, accessible by spending RPs.

6. Join the Club. Have a really prestigious organization (Secret Defenders of the Crown, etc.). Players can get an introductory event by spending RPs. You can use organization activities to generate plot hooks.

A Thought: You should probably consider a rule that no action created by or affected by RPs will yield RPs, which is the first thing our local metagamers would try.

Also, scene elements introduced by PCs cannot contradict established fact. For example, if a PC is tied down to a sacrificial altar and the priest has the sacrificial blade in hand, the PC can’t get rid of it directly. If the priest says “Fetch the sacrificial blade” the player might spend RPs to establish it has been mysteriously stolen.

Since I come from a tradition that a player should be allowed to keep playing a character as long as he is having fun with it, I’d adopt one special rule for character continuance:

7. Miracle Max. If your character is destroyed, you can spend all your RP to bring him back.

The number of RPs determine the “style” of the recovery, which might range from washing up in rags, without equipment, on a beach somewhere (1), to waking up in a comfortable bed being spoon-fed by a princess (10).

You might actually guarantee the players a minimum of 1 RP when they enter play, if they have 0.

8. The Cap. You might set a cap on RPs, maybe 10 or so. If a player accumulates past this point, then the DM looks for ways to spend the excess for him. (Say maybe a secret d6 roll at session start, if you roll the number of excess RPs or less, you as DM spend them down in the immediate session or as soon thereafter as you can manage, for the player’s benefit.)

This may not always be obvious, especially if you position a useful prop or build in a lucky break.

(“You suddenly sneeze, and as you do, an assassin’s crossbow bolt flashes past your head…”).

One restriction, though: The DM should never use #7, which is strictly a player option.

9. For the Challenged. To provide a default for the not-so-story-minded, you might keep the 5 RP per AP, with the provision that RP’s are only good to go from 0 to 1 action point. I’d also verbally challenge this use when the players use it.

“Can’t come up with a good story idea, huh? OK, you have your action point.” :yawn:

You might even change your name for RPs to “Story Points” to emphasize their use to further the story rather than to gain a mere combat bonus.

10. Further Inspiration. You might look at any number of storytelling systems (Universalis comes to mind). While most of these are probably too complex for your purpose, you might find more good ideas.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
DM: You are surprised.
Player: Why am I not surprised?
DM: But you ARE surprised.
Player: Why am I not surprised?
…(and so on)

Last edited:

Appleseeth

First Post
Redrover, you have inspired me. I think I WILL put our group's style points to use in your manner. This will require me to actually keep track of them now though, instead of leaving it to the player's to cajole each other about them.

This also means I'll have to inject them into my other group. But this should make be fun. I'll think of something appropriate to do with those who get negative style points.

Once again, thanks for the inspiration Redrover.

TYPO5478

First Post
Holy crap, Redrover, that's brilliant. I have to agree with Appleseeth: those are amazingly inspiring suggestions! I'd love to use something like that, and I probably will. My dilemma is that role-playing doesn't seem to be too high a priority for my group (with a couple of exceptions). They're more "kill things as fast as we can and get the XP." I can't count the number of times I've heard things like, "I move three squares and attack the goblin. If I hit him, he takes 12 damage and is dazed until the end of my next turn." I understand that simple, succinct descriptions like that may be useful from time to time, but they tend to get pretty boring if you hear them over and over.

I'm trying to use the RP points to encourage them to role-play at all (something I like), so I think it's only fair to repay them with the kind of mechanics-oriented, immediate rewards that they like. That said, I'll definitely try to incorporate your suggestions. Thanks again for such a wonderful idea!

Thanks, Appleseeth for your input, too. I had thought about using the points for skill challenges, but I kind of thought that's where the +1 bonus to a d20 roll (before or after the fact) might come in. Obviously, they'll be useful for more than just skill rolls, though.

And of course, all this does depend on how often the players earn points. So far, I've only given out one or two at a time. At the moment, I don't think anyone has more than six. I'm hoping that they'll really start role-playing a whole lot so that I can give them out more often; then they'd be able to spend them more often as well. That's part of the reason I tended toward higher numbers; if the costs are high, perhaps my players will be more inclined to RP to get the points they need. But maybe you're right that they need to be adjusted. How's this?

Use Role-Playing Points: As a free action, you may spend RP points to gain any of the following benefits:

• Gain an Action Point (5 RP points)
  • Reuse an Encounter power (10 RP points)
  • Reuse a Daily power (15 RP points)
  • Reroll a single D20 that you rolled (10 RP points)
  • Reroll a single D20 that an ally rolled (15 RP points)
  • Reroll a single D20 that the DM rolled (20 RP points)
  • Add a +1 bonus to your D20 roll before you roll (2 RP points per +1)
  • Add a +1 bonus to your D20 roll after you roll (4 RP points per +1)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads