• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

House Rule (Multi-Classing)

-Avalon-

First Post
This is to get a feel for whether this is a good idea or not:

Since we have Initiate feats that give a "splash" of flavor but do not really give what is needed for paragon paths, my players and I have come up with a possible way to alleviate the issues:

Initiate feat gives the first splash
-> Apprentice feat - would allow the player to swap an at-will power for one of their own, and give one ability from the basic class options : IE gives a style for the rangers, etc. This feat has pre-req of the initiate feat.

Then there are the Novice, etc etc, on to paragon level:
At paragon level 11, the player then would have the choice of either going with a PP using the one ability they got from the Apprentice feat, or doing paragon multi-classing. If they choose to go PP-MC then instead of getting to swap an at-will (which was moved to the apprentice feat), they instead pick up the rest of the class abilities and still gain the abilities from PP-MC as per the PHB per PP-MC. Only other change is that since the Apprentice feat will be listed as a multi-class feat, it is required as well for PP-MC.

This will fix it so that the players have 2 options: Either dabble a lil with one other class so that they can get the PP from a different class' lists, or build upon the MC structure to make a true dual classed character.

Any Thoughts?

lexoanvil

First Post
for the PP it seems like its slightly too strong. i think giving them an action point related feature like most pp give and maybe a single class ability or 2 in some cases might be more balanced.

the rest seems alright to me.

Last edited:

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Moved to house rules.

I'm already using something slightly similar in mechanics to that.

IMC the multiclass feat doesn't give a trained skill and a random(?) benefit.

Instead, the multiclass feat has a prereq of a certain trained skill for each class, and if you take the multiclass you

a) swap one of your at-will powers for a power of the class
b) gain one particular class feature of the new class (as defined in my multiclass feats)

I wanted to do this because a lot of the 'feel' of a class comes from their at-wills, and I want multiclassers to properly 'feel' like a mixture of the two classes.

Cheers

aurance

Explorer
Be aware that swapping out at-wills is going to make a lot of people dip into barbarian.

Not only barbarians. Actually, swapping at-wills is an incredibly powerful benefit when used in certain combinations. Adding this on top of a paragon path is a significant boost in power from baseline 4e.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads