• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

House Rules: Classes, Races, Magic, and More

XeviatTranion

First Post
Hello everyone, this is my first post here. The Wizards.Community boards have been slowing down lately; everyone seems too interested in their own ideas to comment on others. Because of that, I decided to come here and see if I could get some feedback on my ideas and find others to comment on and help myself.

I have been creating my setting for four years now, longer if you count the time I worked on it without a ruleset. I'm doing my best to have a high fantasy feel with enough differences to make it worthy of being its own setting. I intend to eventually publish novels for my setting, which is the major reason I run campaigns in it (having 4 to 8 players creating characters for a story gets more varied results than just creating them myself).

So, as my introductory post, I'd like to showcase my campaign. I'll try to have one post for each of the major aspects of revision in my setting, and everything that recieves interest will be posted in detail in a new thread.

Thanks in advance for all the input offered. Just to let you know, even though I'm starting the first post with general rule changes, the second post will introduce the setting (which is the most important part, but I felt that the rule changes would be easiest to comment on first, since they can be dropped into most campaigns easily).

General
I made/adopted several rule changes for my home games, done either to increase "realism" in the game and to have the rules fit my vision for my setting. These changes include the introduction of a Zero Level system, the adoption of a Wound point system, the introduction of an MP system modeled after the Expanded Psionics Handbook's Power Point system, the introduction of a Proficiency system to replace the current set class proficiencies (utilizing weapon groups), and a system that governs a characters physical, mental, and magical growth (called the Chakra system); my chakra system is largely uncompleted and requires the most assistance (it will be introduced here, but I'll make a separate thread to detail it).

Zero Level
The simplest of all my changes is the introduction of a Zero Level to all classes. A Zero level is a level attached to a character's first character class, and is only gained when the character takes their first character class. A Zero level includes maximum hit points, x4 skill points, the class's proficiency feats (discussed later), and saving throw bonuses; I altered low saving throws to grant +1/4 per level plus an additional +1 at 0 level, and high saves grant +1/2 per level plus an additional +2 at 0 level (this was done so 20th level characters will generally have whole number, or at least X.5 saving throws, since epic levels grant +1/2 to each saving throw at each level).

This slightly alters Monster/Racial hit dice: monster and racial hit dice do not have Zero levels, so monsters lose out on some skill points, but PCs gain an advantage because their extra skill points are gained from their first class, not their race.

Wound Points
I was first introduced to Wound Points by the message boards, but eventually I was able to play in a Star Wars campaign which showed me just how the wound system actually worked out in game. I really enjoyed it from a player's perspective: when I took vitality (essentially hit point) damage, I felt save, but when I suffered a critical hit and had to save vs. being stunned, I knew I was truely injured.

As a DM, I find it more descriptive and more realistic. I've made some large alterations to the system, but the idea is essentially the same. Characters have hit points and wound points: hit points are determined by your constitution modifier added to each of your class hit dice, while your wound points are equal to your current constitution score. When you are attacked and suffer damage, the damage is subtracted from your hit points. When you are out of hit points, or are subject to a critical hit, the damage is instead applied to your wound points. Additionally, once you are out of hit points, or suffer even a single point of wound damage, you are fatigued (changed to -2 to all ability scores and cannot charge or run, though the alteration to Constitution does not alter your HP or WP).

When your WP are reduced to 0, you become exhausted (-6 to all ability scores and can only take a single action, though the alteration to Con does not alter your HP or WP). Once you are reduced to negative wounds, you must begin to make Fortutide saves to resist dying. The Fort Save DC is equal to 10 + 1/5 damage below 0. If you succeed your saving throw, you are disabled; if you fail your saving throw by 9 or less, you are unconscious and dying; if you fail your saving throw by 10 or more, you are dead. Disabled means you are exhausted and now take 1 wound damage (and have to make another, recalculated, saving throw) every time you perform a strenuous action (most standard actions and some others); additionally, while disabled, if you have to make another fortitute save, any result other than a failure by 10 or more means you are now dying. Dying means you suffer one point of wound damage every round, and have to make recalculated saving throws. If you do not take damage from an outside source while dying, your first successful fortitude save means you only take damage once per hour; a successful save on your first hourly save means you are now disabled and begin to heal normally, though you are still unconscious until your wounds reach 0.

Characters heal HP at a rate of 1 hp/hour/level, and they heal WP at a rate of 1 wp/rest period/level. Because bed rest is less necessary in this system, I had to adopt a fatigue system for staying awake an excessive amount of time; though it is large and I'll post it another time.

MP
My MP system is another long writeup, but I'll give the basics here. Each class has a mana die, similar to their hit die. Sorcerers and other spontanious casters gain a d12, clerics and other preparation casters gain a d10, bards and other partial casters gain a d8, paladins and other half casters gain a d6, and fighters and other non-casters gain a d4. Your Wisdom modifier is added to this die to determine how many MP you gain at each level; while non-casters have no spells, there are feats and magic items that utilize MP, and they can be used similarly to action points.

Because Wisdom is used for all character's MP, Charisma is now used for all character's saving throw DCs (including those for all SU and SP abilities). Intelligence is tied to Spellcraft and Knowledge skills, and I am seaking a way of making those skills more important/necessary to spellcasting.

Spells cost a number of MP determined by the following equasion: spell level doubled, minus 1). Each spell has a base effect (such as a fixed number of dice damage), and many spells have Augmentations (most augmentations increase the damage a fixed dice damage spell deals, though they can alter targets, target types, duration, and bonuses/penalties applied). Augmentations cost additional mana points; similarly, metamagic feats increase a spell's mp cost. Characters can only spend MP equal to their character level on a single spell at a time.

Proficiencies
I've always prefered a proficiency group system (similar to that offered in the Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale computer games) over the more broad system offered by 3rd Edition rules. In my system, weapons are still grouped by simple, martial, and exotic, but are also grouped into weapon groups. Simple groups are, rightfully, the most simplistic. Martial groups require a +1 BAB to take (meaning only warriors gain take them with their first proficiencies), and also have a prerequisite simple group one must attain proficiency in (and are associated with; more later). Exotic weapons are similarly associated with Martial groups, but exotic weapons must be purchased individually and may not be purchased with proficiency feats (they must be purchased with standard feats).

Characters gain a number of proficiency feats determined by their class when they gain their 0 character level (gained along with their 1st class level). Fighters gain 10, Barbarians and Paladins gain 8, bards and rangers and rogues gain 6, clerics and druids and sorcerers gain 4, and wizards gain 2. Characters use their proficiency feats to purchase armor, weapon, and shield proficiencies (though all characters are proficient in basic weapons, which include the club, dagger, and quarterstaff).

I'm toying with the idea of granting characters additional proficiency feats upon gaining a multiple of 4 BAB, but I'm unsure. Likewise, I'm considering letting characters spend a number of proficiency feats (1 or 2 most likely) on purchasing a feat from the fighter bonus feat list; this would be helpful to light armored fighters who have no reason to purchase medium and heavy armor, as well as shields or tower shields.

Chakra system
The last of my varients requires a lot of discussion, so I'll only briefly introduce it here. The idea is that all creatures possess elemental energy within themself; everything is composed of this energy, so it is not suprising that creatures possess it as well. This energy is concentrated into energy centers within the body known as Chakras; the size and power of these energy centers determines how much energy the center is able to absorb and process.

As a character grows in experience/power, their chakras also grow in size and strength in proportion to how they are used. Since each chakra governs physical, mental, and magical aspects of a creature, everyone has opportunity to exersize them. As the chakra grows, the character's physical and mental ability scores adjust, dependent on which chakra is increasing (though I am unsure exactly which way I want this correlation to go; either the character increases their ability scores and the chakras increase, or they increase their chakras and their ability scores increase).

This is where the system requires work. The five elements are Air, Earth, Fire, Water, and Void, though I am still unsure as to how much power I want to give to Void (part of me wants to leave it "devoid" of spells, leaving it a rarely used, but possibly very potent, element, while another part of me can easily see it gaining positive and negative energy, as well as psychic powers). Additionally, in order for proper synergy to take place, I needed to split up the ability scores a little bit to add in one additional physical and mental ability scores. The new scores are Agility and Perception: Agility governs AC and Reflex saves, as well as the Tumble skill, while Perception governs Initiative, as well as the Listen, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Spot, and Survival skills.

Air is tied to Agility and Perception. Earth is tied to Constitution and Wisdom. Fire is tied to Strength and Charisma. Water is tied to Dexterity and Intelligence. Void is not tied to any ability scores.

The idea behind this system is that all characters, and creatures even, have magical power within them. They can use it to perform some minorly magical affects (having certain ranks in a chakra will allow one to spend MP to perform certain simple affects, similar to action points but split amongst the elements), to power magic items (anyone can read scrolls, for instance, but the mechanics are being overhauled), or to power actual spells (gained through feats or classes). Magic is intrinsically tied to the physical and mental being of the caster; a caster specializing in one element over the other will become physically and mentally altered by the excersize (either because it is advantagous to, for instance, become physically stronger to power fire spells, or simply the excessive use of fire spells allows the fire chakra to grow, thus making the character stronger).

Again, I am unsure of which way I want the correlation to go. I am also unsure of exactly how to determine chakras: one way is that it would be like an ability score, either treated as the average of the chakra's two scores or the lowest of the chakra's two scores; the other is to treat them like skills and grant characters a number of points at each level to progress them. I'd like to have them contribute in determining caster level, but again I'm unsure of how to do this. Any and all assistance would be appreciated.

Next post will be a description of the setting, known as the Three Worlds Campaign Setting.

Last edited:

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
I like where you are going with your level zero system. I also like your mod to the saving throw system; very elegant. Do you have something to make odd numbered levels more attractive? Maybe have feats and ability boosts occur then?

I've encountered "chakras" before in D&D-speak, but it was in connection to the item slots. One "chakra" is on the head, and that represents the helm/headband slot, and so on. I'm interested in seeing where you'd go with that.

One word of advice: don't barrage the boards with too much info at once. People will not want to wade through a mountain of material, and certainly won't want to comment on it all at once. A new post every once in a while, a new thread every week; that would be fast enough. Otherwise you might be disappointed in the quantity and quality of feedback.

And welcome to the boards!

Sadrik

First Post
I read it all and there is a lot to comment on here. Maybe too much!

The zero level rule- Why?

Wound point system is good. The changes to it seem ok to me too.

Magic points- The concept that charisma is magic's equivlent of strength and wisdom is magic's con and intelligence is magic's dexterity is interesting. The MP cost of spells doesnt seem correct. a 1st level spell costs 0? What does a 0 level spell cost then -1? I think you should just remove the "-1" and Just do the "squared of the spell level"
-Possibly something more interesting- the spells do 1d6 MP damage to the character per spell level they cast. So a 6th level spell would do 6d6 MP of damage to them when they cast it. Then they make a save for half damage and apply that to their MP total.
-Back to your system- the problem I see is the huge gradiation of spells 1st cost 1(0) and 9th cost 81(80). It means that for the cost of a single high level spell the caster could cast 81(80) first level spells. You have an augmenting mechanic which the caster will dump so points into... but still...

Proficiencies- fine. Good system- better than the basic game, imo.

Chakras- I dont know about adopting 2 new stats to justify using this system.

Besides I would be more inclined to combining two stats before creating two more. Combine Wisdom and Charisma into MIND and then combine strenth and con into Body. Body and Mind are just generic tags and could be switched to different names like brains and muscle or whatever.

So, characters have 4 stats: Body, Dexterity, Mind and Wisdom

Then do this:

Air- Wis and Dex
Earth- Body and Wis
Fire- Body and Mind
Water- Dex and Mind

Then you dont have to come up with anything to go with int in you magic point system. Wisdom would control DC and Mind would control MP bonus points.

XeviatTranion

First Post
Three Worlds Campaign Setting

One (hopefully) unique element to my campaign setting is that there are three separate material planes, all technically reflections of each other. Terran is the primary material plane, set in the center of the other two and the outer and inner planes. The lower material plane is called Sylphenhest, while the upper material plane is called Avalon. Combined with slightly different cosmological connections, each setting has a distinct campaign focus to it; Terran focuses on high fantasy adventuring, Sylphenhest focuses on horror adventuring, and Avalon focuses on war adventuring.

All of the rules, including races and classes, are being constructed to apply equally to each of the material worlds. There is some amount of travel between the worlds, but such travel is typically only done by high level characters (though there is a mercenary draft between Terran and Avalon, the place the Terranian mercenaries are going is unknown to the rest of Terran).

I'll detail each world separately, all in this post, through edits. I'll start with Terran, and add the other two soon.

Terran: A new world with ancient secrets.

The Age of the Ancients
Legend tells of a time when Terran was inhabitted by a race known as the Ancients (in fact, the Ancients are spoken of on all the material planes). The Ancients possessed power beyond measure, surpassing even the power of their gods. Because of their excess and sacrelige to their gods, they were destroyed by the great goddess Zion. Exacting punishment upon the Ancients was taxing, and she was forced to enter a hybernation, but before she did she birthed seven children.

The Age of the Dragons
Her children were great dragons, four sons, two daughters, and an unidentifiable seventh. Each of the four sons had dominion over one of the elements: Air, Earth, Fire, and Water. The daughters each ruled over Light and Dark, Good and Evil, Law and Chaos. The seventh ruled over the mysterious power known as the Void, and remained with its mother as she coiled up to rest, endlessly circling the almost destroyed world of Terran.

Zions sons and daughters began to rebuild the world. Goldenfeather, the dragon of light, brought life back to the injured world, while Vandek, the dragon of darkness, brought death; this cycle allowed Terran to regrow without strangling the life out of itself. The four brothers (Tyranon, the dragon of earth; Firdel, the dragon of fire; Naias-Sorn, the dragon of water; Wyndaguile, the dragon of air) worked together to rebuild the land, and gave form to the life that their sisters had granted.

Once the world had been rebuilt, the four brothers and the two sisters joined; their union spawned the true dragons: The magnificent feathered Serpents were the children of Goldenfeather, while the horrible scaled Wyrms were the children of Vandek. The brothers hoped to rule over their children as gods, but their children were as egotistical as they, and refused to worship them. They did respect their mothers, and offered veneration, but as providers, not gods.

The Age of Giants
Angered, the brothers turned to their last sibling, Ivenodia, seeking ability to create life as their sisters had. Ivenodia taught them the art, and the brothers separated to create their own children. Their creations became the giants, massive beings constructed of almost pure elemental energy. Unlike the dragons, the giants did worship their fathers, and were rewarded for their service. Soon the giants congregated in four massive cities, one for each race. There they grew in power, and soon the avarice dragons set their eyes upon them.

Before the War of the Wyrm began, the giants had explored much of their world. During their exploration, they found an animal they named "man". The giants were impressed by the intelligence and trainability this animal showed; they were even able to teach them to do any task a giant could, although on a smaller scale. Men everywhere were collected from the wilds and brought to the giant's cities to serve as slaves.

As previously stated, the dragons had grown jealous of the prosperity the giants had recieved. Being goodly beings, the serpents came to the giants and offered alliance; the giants reluctantly accepted but were weary. The wyrms, seeing their sibling serpents' action, took the form of serpents and attacked the giants as they rested. The giants, in turn, attacked the serpents. Seeking aid, the seprents turned to the wyrms for help. Thus began the War of the Wyrm.

The War of the Wyrm cost both sides many lives. Because of the slow growth of both races, their numbers quickly dwindled. They were forced to mix blood, creating the drakes and the lesser giants, which served as rank and file soldiers in the endless war. As the giants weakened, their human slaves had grown resourceful. One man discovered five sacred swords, weapons of the ancients. Wielding one sword himself, he found four other worthy humans to take up swords with him. Together, they destroyed the giants from within their civilization. Seeing the power these humans wielded, the dragons let them be, crawling away to seclusion. Those five humans became known as the First Knights, whose legend became the foundation of the most influential faith amongst humans.

The First Age of Man
(coming soon)

XeviatTranion

First Post
Sadrik, you caught a typo. Spells cost mp equal to (Spell Level x2)-1; so the progression goes 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 ...

There are no level zero spells, I will be handling cantrips differently (of that I haven't decided just yet).

The level zero mechanic was created in order to better mediate multiclassing (I didn't want all warriors picking up a level of fighter for additional proficiencies, and I don't like what I've seen happen to some characters saving throws from excessive multiclassing). The mechanic has also proved very helpful with balancing my classes, and really helps out PCs with racial hit dice.

About the ability scores: you did notice that I had thought of the mentals as mental equivalents of the physicals. I'd rather not combine the ability scores, the four physical scores idea was something I had leaned towards before I even began playing D&D officially (though I had played Baldur's Gate); I always thought that quickness/reflexes was separate from flexability/coordination; a marksman and a video game player are often very dextrous, but may not be the most agile people in the world. Like Str and Con, Dex and Agi are often associated with each other, but you can have one without the other (though not often). Adding Perception was just a natural growth of the idea.

Cheiromancer, I'll take your advice on not posting everything at once: I'll start with the post above, and the second post on the settings, and I'll later post full descriptions based on what is commented on the most.

You're right about odd levels, since saving throws will never grow on them, I'll keep that in mind when I look over the classes once more.

As for Chakras and item slots (that's from Magic of Incarnum, correct?), I have taken that into consideration as an explanation of why certain affects are easier to make (cheeper) in certain slots than others, but the current item slot locations don't match up well with my interpretations of chakra location (brow-void, throat-air, heart-fire, stomach-water, hips-earth, all located along the spine). I am looking into it though (there are nine body slots interestingly enough, and there could easily be a void slot and two slots for each other chakra, associated with the ability scores and what not).

Thanks for the quick replies. I'll cut back on the concentration of stuff in each post from now on.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Yup, there's definitely a lot of info to wade through, but I can tell it's a labour of love, so I'll comment where I can.

Zero Level: Wouldn't that just force PC's to take two levels in fighter to get the good treats and then quit? How often does this happen in your campaign? Maybe you could enforce an extra deterrent to multi-classing, like extra training costs (but remember to adjust somewhere else to compensate), quests (you can't re-train until you join this guild/fight this guy/find this thing), or simply get over it :) and let people milk classes as they see fit - that's why the boys at WotC made it that way. People will make characters the way they want to make them... so what if they dabble here and there? They'll get more abilities/feats, sure, but they'll suffer in the long run.

WP/VP: Nothing new here. It is a better system for simulating getting beaten up with getting a near-fatal stab wound. Just remember that monsters etc. should have them, too.

MP: I thought of doing a simiar thing IMC with the different dice for MP. After reading the Expanded Psionic Handbook, I looked at magic in a whole new way and dropped the dice idea. If it works for you, great. :)

Proficiencies: I've always hated weapon proficiencies. Anyone can use anything, but if you bother to take the skill/feat, you get a bonus.

Chakras: IIRC, there are 7 chakras? Why not simply assign one chakra to each stat, and somehow use the combination of stats (or perhaps the total of their bonuses) to represent a 7th?

babomb

First Post
The problem with spliting Dex and Agi is that the resulting Dex is pretty weak. It's now a dump stat for anyone other than rogues (and maybe even some rogues). Wis/Per fares better, but for non-casters, Wis governs only Will saves, Heal, and Profession.

So a fighter, for example, can put a low score in Cha, a low score in Dex, and so-so scores in Wis and Per without losing much.

The chakra thing is interesting, but I'd rather see it adapted to the existing ability scores than vice-versa.

XeviatTranion

First Post
babomb said:
The problem with spliting Dex and Agi is that the resulting Dex is pretty weak. It's now a dump stat for anyone other than rogues (and maybe even some rogues). Wis/Per fares better, but for non-casters, Wis governs only Will saves, Heal, and Profession.

So a fighter, for example, can put a low score in Cha, a low score in Dex, and so-so scores in Wis and Per without losing much.

I don't see how a Fighter can drop Dexterity; didn't I say that it was the statistic for both melee and ranged attack rolls for all weapons? That makes the strong, excessively muscled (low dex) guy more possible: He has a really hard time hitting you, but when he does, you're toast.

And yes, fighters can dumb mental scores to some extent, most non-casters can. I've done my best making each mental important. Int: skill points; Wis: will saves; Per: initiative; Cha: "warding checks" (based on the new level based turning check, I let all characters attempt to turn any spirit creature, my setting is animistic so there are many spirit creatures, as long as they have a suitable item in hand; only clerics can make the final check to make it an actual turning instead of a warding). That's why they're fighters and not wizards.

To Herobizkit:

Zero Level: The main reason is because of my proficiency system (which still allows anyone to use anything at a penalty); with my proficiency system, any warrior would be able to pick up any class as a multiclass (if possible based on favored class) and get anywhere between 4 to 10 proficiency feats. Especially if I allow characters to spend proficiency feats on other feats at a 2 for 1 basis. The Fighter now grants weapon specialization, mastery, high mastery, and grand mastery over the course of its levels, so there's reason to stick with it. And yes, I've seen some rediculous multiclassing; that's what you get when you DM at an art school and you play with a pool of around 40 players.

WP/VP: Mainly wanted an opinion on how my altered "death and dying" rules will interact with the WP rules. Eventually going to switch to Armor as partial DR, so I really need an opinion. I've run several games with this so far, and nothing has really come up yet, but lots of stuff can slip through playtesting.

MP: This was based on the XPH; I just switched to the die system because of several elements. First, it boosts the MP had by low level casters, increasing their power to let them compete. Second, it reduces the MP of high level casters, reigning in their power level a bit during those levels. Third, because magic is part of everything (hense the chakra system), I needed to give mp to non-casters. Since mana points regenerate slowly (1 point per level per hour, which roughly means a free spell per hour at highest augmentation), this reduces the power of a caster in a single fight (less total mp) but boosts their endurance (a problem XPH psions have).

Chakras: I didn't stick with the seven chakras of real mysicsism because it didn't fit what I needed. If I did that, three elements of air, fire, earth, and water would be tied to physical ability scores, and one would be mental: this would make the mental element more used by spellcasters due to ability synergy. Based on my ideas for the chakras, each needed a mental and a physical aspect, and the only possible way to do that easily would be to have some ability scores shared: such as water being Dex: Int, and air being Dex: Wis. Lastly, which the ability score split, my races have become more defined, and character customability has increased. MMORPGs often use 7 or 8 ability scores (though they tend to use a Luck score).

I'm going to read that chakra link right now, I'll reply to it soon. Thanks for the posts.

Here's a quick list of my classes: I'd like to know which you'd like me to post first:

Bard (no major changes)
Berserker (eventually will have a different "rage" for each element)
Channeler: An elementally empowered, chaotic warrior (think sorcerer/berserker: a new class for my setting)
Fighter (altered)
Knight: An honorbound warrior who wields an ancestral weapon (my take on the OA samurai)
Monk (almost a new class entirely)
Priest: A spellcaster who serves a deity or several lesser spirits (a mix of the cleric and druid; still designing the spell list)
Ranger (altered)
Rogue (tweeking the level progression so there is a special ability gained at 20th level)
Templar: A warrior of a faith, gifted by the divine and sworn to service (think cleric/fighter: a new class for my setting which replaces the paladin)
Sorcerer: A spellcaster who utilizes their own overactive chakra to generate magic (very altered)
Wizard

Thanks again.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads