• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E House Rules Feedback v1.5

Weiley31

Legend
I personally would add one more thing to the Warlock: Patron Spells are automatically added to your Warlock Spell list as you hit the levels that give them. They do not count towards your spell list limits and what not.

Because you know how stupid it is to not pick any of your Patron Spells when playing as a Warlock because you didn't have the space or what not?

Shiroiken

Legend
I personally would add one more thing to the Warlock: Patron Spells are automatically added to your Warlock Spell list as you hit the levels that give them. They do not count towards your spell list limits and what not.
Almost nobody realizes this isn't the case anyway. I only recently realized this when I was looking into making a Warlock, but every other warlock we've played with has had them added as free spells.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Almost nobody realizes this isn't the case anyway. I only recently realized this when I was looking into making a Warlock, but every other warlock we've played with has had them added as free spells.
Yep, we read it that way at first, too, and when we realized the mistake, we house-ruled they were free known spells also. Sorry, WotC designers, but it just makes sense to give the spells to them.

Gadget

Adventurer
Looks interesting. There are probably a lot more spells I would tweak. I might have Warlock Invocations that grant a 'once per day' use of a spell not cost a Warlock spell slot. I also might make Rangers spell casting match Paladin spell casting in that they 'know' all their spells, but are limited by preparing a set amount.

Stalker0

Legend
Comments inline

• Great Weapon Master/Sharpshooter power attacks (-5 hit/+10 dam) may only be performed during an attack action
--I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish here.
  • Magic Missile - is an area of affect where you roll all of your dice and then distribute them to the targets ( e.g. roll 3d4 instead of 1d4x3, as in every other edition of D&D), as with other area of affects Empowered Evocation applies once per target
--Are you truly making this an area effect where it can hit multiple targets with full damage, or is this mainly to remove corner cases like (does it trigger concentration 3 times). If its more the later we can add in some easy language to fix that, more than just completely changing the spell.
  • Dragonborn - Breath Weapon instead uses a bonus action
--Seems good
Class Buffs
  • Barbarian Berserker - at level 3 also gains Lesser Frenzy - no exhaustion, but bonus attack does only 1d4 base damage; at level 10 Frenzy exhaustion now only lasts for only one hour and may power attack (-5 hit/+10 dam) during Frenzy bonus action with any melee weapon attack
--I think a lot of tables have just removed the exhaustion entirely from frenzy and not looked back. If you want to reign it in a touch, say that the barbarian rage bonus damage does not apply to the extra attack....to tone it down a tad. Otherwise this seems a little complicated.
  • Cleric Nature - at level 2 gains Druidic Secrets - may also prepare 1st level Druid spells
--Cool
  • Cleric Trickery - at level 6 hex is added as a domain spell
--Very Cool
  • Druid Circle of the Land - at level 2 gains Fire & Ice - may reverse Druid fire spells at the time of casting to make them cold spells (e.g. may cast cold blade instead of flame blade, or chill metal instead of heat metal)
--Its neat, though more of a ribbon ability in most cases. It will come up here and there though.
  • Fighter Champion - at level 3 gains Weapon Specialization - choose one weapon type (e.g. greataxes) to increase standard damage dice size by one, to a minimum of 1d8 (1/1d4/1d6 -> 1d8 -> 1d10 -> 1d12 -> 2d8, or 2d6 -> 2d8), this focus may be changed upon every level up
--This seems a solid and simply way to buff the champion.

• Monk Four Elements - all Elemental Discplines (except Fangs of the Fire Snake) use a bonus action instead of an action
--This won't fix anything. The problem with 4Ele monk is not the action economy, but the KI economy. It simply costs too much Ki to do anything, and you already have so many bonus action needs anyway.

• Rogue - may also Sneak Attack with all melee weapons/improvised weapons that lack the heavy/special properties (this allows strength builds) and with unarmed strikes that do 1d4 or more base damage (e.g. Lizardfolk, Tabaxi, or Tavern Brawler)
--Seems good. I don't think the 1d4 unarmed clause is needed, is it really so bad if a rogue sneak attacks with a weaker weapon?
  • Sorcerer Draconic Bloodline - at level 1 may choose either Draconic Resilience or Elemental Spells - ability to pick variant Sorcerer elemental (acid, cold, fire, or lightning) level 0-3 spells as ancestry damage type instead (e.g. green dragon may pick a poison variant fireball or a poison variant shocking grasp)
  • Sorcerer Wild Magic - at level 1 gains Chaos Knife - adds 1d4 to one damage roll with spells, increasing to 1d8 at level 10
--The problem with Wild Mage is not that it needs more power, just more consistent power. Too much of the class' strength is tied into mechanics the DM controls. So I would target that first.
  • Warlock Invocations - the following are "half Invocations" (pick two instead of one standard Invocation): Armor of Shadows, Beast Speech, Bewitching Whispers, Dreadful Word, Eldritch Sight, Eyes of the Rune Keeper, Gaze of Two Minds, Minions of Chaos, Mire the Mind, Otherworldly Leap, Sculptor of Flesh, Sign of Ill Omen, and Thief of Five Fates
--This seems a simple way to adjust the warlock without doing surgery on its invocations, I like it.
  • Wizard Transmutation - at level 2 gains Enchant Weapon - once per long rest may use a bonus action to enchant a weapon increasing its enhancement bonus by 1 (up to a +3 maximum, duration 1 minute, no concentration, range 60')
--I like it.

Feat Buffs
  • Dual Wielder - while wielding a one handed melee weapon in each hand may power attack (-5 hit/+10 damage) with melee weapon attacks made during an attack action
--I don't think this is right fix, it feels clunky.
  • Elemental Adept - choose 2 of the 3 benefits: damage boost, ignore resistance, and downgrade immunity to resistance (downgrade immunity and ignore resistance cannot be used on the same target); can also choose poison damage type (this is intended for Green Dragon Sorcerer)
--Ignoring immunities is just not great flavor for a lot of characters.
  • Weapon Master - gives proficiency with all simple and martial weapons
--Its still a bad feat honestly.

Spell Buffs
  • Non cost material components are ignored except for Clerics/Paladins (they still require holy symbols for those spells)
--Do you mean that spellcasters do not need spell component pouches anymore at all? Just confirming.
  • Barkskin - no concentration
  • Flame Blade - no concentration; on initial casting may instead use an action to make a single one time attack that does 6d6 damage plus 1d6/extra slot level, ending the spell
--6d6 damage is too much for a 2nd level spell.
  • Flaming Sphere - does damage on initial casting
--Makes sense
  • Melf's Acid Arrow - delayed damage instead does 6d4
--So your saying 4d4 on initial, 6d4 on secondary, is that right? That's a smidge under average fireball damage, but a single target and on a delay...I think its solid.
  • Mordenkainen's Sword - instead does 5d10 damage per hit
--A lot better, though it is a 7th level spell it may still be not enough damage...but I think its a solid start.
  • Vampiric Touch - on initial casting may instead make a single one time attack that does 5d6 damage plus 1d6/extra slot level, ending the spell
--I like this idea. Another would be given it a 30 foot range or something you don't have to be right in someone's face when you are attempting to heal.
  • Witch Bolt - on initial casting may instead inflict 2d12 damage, ending the spell
--Cool

Weiley31

Legend
I for one have no probs with having a Sorcerer have Multi-Elemental version of said spells. Fireball/Snowball/Acidball/etc, etc, etc.

Remove ads