• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

House Rules for 5e

ardisian

First Post
I am very happy so far with how easy it looks to put in house rules for 5e. In 1st and 2nd ed I always played with house rules. Less so in 3rd ed. And 4th ed was very hard to house rule, at least for me.

So far I am looking at using the following house rules:

Hit Points – no longer add Constitution modifier per level
1st to 4th level: add Constitution Modifier
5th to 9th level: add 2x Constitution Modifier
10th to 14th level: add 3x Constitution Modifier
15th to 19th level: add 4x Constitution Modifier
20th level: add 5x Constitution Modifier

Armor Class Proficiencies effect AC
ArmorCostArmor Class (AC)StrengthStealthWeight
Unarmored*- 8 + Dex modifier*---
Light Armor

Padded5gp 9+ Dex modifier1-Disadvantage8lb
Leather10gp 9+ Dex modifier1--10 lb
Studded Leather45gp10+ Dex modifier1--13 lb
Medium Armor

Hide10gp10+ Dex modifier (max 2)2--12 lb
Chain Shirt50gp11+ Dex modifier (max 2) 2--20 lb
Scale Mail50gp12+ Dex modifier (max 2) 2-Disadvantage40 lb
Breastplate400gp12+ Dex modifier (max 2) 2--20 lb
Half Plate750gp13+ Dex modifier (max 2) 2-Disadvantage40 lb
Heavy Armor

Ring Mail30 gp123-Disadvantage40 lb
Chain Mail75 gp143Str 13Disadvantage55 lb
Splint200 gp153Str 15Disadvantage60 lb
Plate1500 gp163Str 15Disadvantage65 lb
Shield

Shield10 gp+14--6 lb
*All Classes have the unarmored proficiency, adding proficiency bonus to AC when unarmored
1 add proficiency bonus if proficient with light armor
2 add proficiency bonus if proficient with medium armor
3 add proficiency bonus if proficient with heavy armor
4 add ½ proficiency bonus (round up) if proficient with shields

Allow Characters to perform combat stunts as Bonus Actions.
To use a combat stunt the character must make a skill check, difficulty set by GM or in some cases will be an opposed roll
Example combat stunts - throw sand in an opponents eyes to temporarily blind them - this may be an opposed check vs the opponents dexterity - if successful the opponent is blinded until the next round

I am also playing with the idea of spellcasters having fewer spell slots, and the spell slots scaling with the caster (in many ways like 13th age spell slots) but this may require some adjustments to spell power/damage - particularly at higher levels.

I am curious to see what house rules others are looking at possibly using with 5e.

Mercurius

Legend
If I read your CON chart correctly, you're following a rather unusual curve - more of an upward trend rather than the usual evening off (which is more real to life). So, if I'm not mistaken, a 20th level character with 20 CON will get an addition 25 HP?! Wow.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
If I read your CON chart correctly, you're following a rather unusual curve - more of an upward trend rather than the usual evening off (which is more real to life). So, if I'm not mistaken, a 20th level character with 20 CON will get an addition 25 HP?! Wow.
I think it's the same curve, just lower than normal. In the RAW, that 20th level character would get an additional 100 hp.

ardisian

First Post
You only get the 5x Con Modifier once.

Fighter with 20 Con
1st level - 1d10 + 5hp
5th level - 5d10 + 10 hp
10th level - 10d10 + 15hp
15th level - 15d10 + 20hp
20th level - 20d10 + 25hp

Levels it out some this way.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I seem to spend all my time moving things to the House Rules or Character Builds forums. I think I'm starting to develop a neurosis because of it.

evilbob

Explorer
I seem to spend all my time moving things to the House Rules or Character Builds forums. I think I'm starting to develop a neurosis because of it.
Not to completely derail this thread, BUT... I think part of it is the entirely new (to many) design of the boards. There's no clear "X edition" forum with "X edition house rules" forum anymore; everything is mixed together and only "house rules of any type or variety" are separated. This is not bad; it's just an entirely different way of thinking from the way EnWorld worked before, and for people who haven't been around for a while - like those who faded away a bit and then came back when 5.0 dropped, *cough* - it's going to take a bit of a perspective shift. I personally made this mistake because I've been keeping the "all things D&D" board set to "5.0 only please" for so long I forgot that there was another board to even look at. Plus, since you have to take an entire extra click (MY GOD THE HUMANITY - but seriously, we all do it) to get TO a board and THEN to narrow it down, I tend to never ever leave the page and only ever refresh. It's easy to get siloed that way.

Anyway, again, nothing against the redesign; just explaining how it can be confusing (which you certainly already knew) and perhaps reminding (which you certainly already knew) that there are a few old schoolers who may be jumping back in after a break and making newbie errors (in addition to the newbies).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Not to completely derail this thread, BUT... I think part of it is the entirely new (to many) design of the boards. There's no clear "X edition" forum with "X edition house rules" forum anymore; everything is mixed together and only "house rules of any type or variety" are separated. This is not bad; it's just an entirely different way of thinking from the way EnWorld worked before, and for people who haven't been around for a while - like those who faded away a bit and then came back when 5.0 dropped, *cough* - it's going to take a bit of a perspective shift. I personally made this mistake because I've been keeping the "all things D&D" board set to "5.0 only please" for so long I forgot that there was another board to even look at. Plus, since you have to take an entire extra click (MY GOD THE HUMANITY - but seriously, we all do it) to get TO a board and THEN to narrow it down, I tend to never ever leave the page and only ever refresh. It's easy to get siloed that way.

Anyway, again, nothing against the redesign; just explaining how it can be confusing (which you certainly already knew) and perhaps reminding (which you certainly already knew) that there are a few old schoolers who may be jumping back in after a break and making newbie errors (in addition to the newbies).

Hmmm? It's not a new redesign. It's been around for nearly 14 years! Eric Noah started the House Rules and Rogues Gallery forums back in 2000 or so.

forum_august_2001.jpg

evilbob

Explorer
I seem to recall there being a 4.0 house rules vs. 3.X house rules... That's what I was (potentially mis-)remembering. And I thought they were subdivided within the "4.0" banner vs. the 3.X banner. It's been a while, though...

Remove ads