• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

house rules for sorcerers

pyric_lust

First Post
We allow sorcerers in our campaign to apply metamagic feats to thier spells w/ no increased casting time. Also we use the maho-tsaki spell advancment for spells 1st-9th level. They also get 1 skill tied to the background, chosen by the player, but approved by the dm.

Stalker0

Legend
1) give metamagics to sorcs with no increased casting time.

2) new skills as others have mentioned.

3) I leave HD alone, I think its fine.

4) One idea I've thought of using is similar to a MOTW idea. THey have a ritual where you spend 200 xp and upgrade your animal companion. WHy not have an xp cost per spell level for a sorc to learn a new spell?

Basically, there's a ritual that sorcs can undergo, to attune them with the magics of the world (which is in someways what they do now) and infuse themselves with new magical power. It should be expensive (money) and cost a lot of xp (Y amount per spell level maybe spell level squared).

This allows the sorc to get some more spells like wizards, but it should be much much harder for them to do so.

Gimble

First Post
I use Monte Cook's sorcerer, but make anyone that wants to multiclass into it take a feat at 1st level, namely Spell Thematics from Magic of Faerun (you can get the real version free in the errata, so no reason to buy the book if this is all you want).

Then I make sure that the sorc picks a theme spell for the feat at each level, offsetting the extra spells known by decreasing flexibility.

Characters that start as 1st level sorcerers get the feat as a bonus feat.

Remove ads