• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

House Rules for upcoming Skull & Bones game

arnon

Explorer
It's still some months ahead, but i'm going to run a (short?) Skull & Bones game.

I'm working on some house rules and this is what i've got so far.
(needless to say, any comments are welcomed) :)

1. Feats:
Characters gain a new Feat at every odd character level (1st, 3rd, 5th, etc.), as opposed to every 3rd character level, in addition to any feat gained from their Class.

2. Skills:
All skills are considered class skills.
2.1. Synergy: Synergy bonuses are given as normal, except that the bonus increases over time. A skill with 10 ranks grants a +3 synergy bonus; a skill with 15 ranks grants a +4 synergy bonus; and a skill with 20 ranks grants a +5 synergy bonus.
2.2. Folded Skills:
Acrobatic (Dex) = Balance & Tumble
Disable Device (Int) = Disable Device + Open Lock
Notice (Wis) = Listen & Spot
Stealth (Dex) = Hide & Move Silently
2.3. New ways to use:
Acrobatic:
Tumbling to avoid attack of opportunity is opposed by the enemies attack roll.
Tumbling through square occupied by enemies has a DC= 5+opponents attack roll.
Stand up from prone as a free action (rather than move action): DC = 20.

3. Language:
Characters gain two skill points per Intelligence bonus to spend on languages as described bellow.
All languages have two levels of competence: basic and fluency. One skill points grants basic competency in both speech and comprehension, while investing two skill points grants fluency (notice that this does not say you can speak with the correct accent). Characters start with a fluency in their native tongue. You cannot go from zero competence to fluency in one shot.
Having basic competence in a language gives you a -2 penalty on all Charisma checks using that language.
Learning an alphabet (if the language is a written one) cost two skill points. At which point the character gains the same level of written competence as he has competence in the spoken language.

4. Combat:
4.1. Weapon Finesse for everyone. If you want, you may take the Weapon Finesse feat and apply it to any particular weapon you wish. Yes, any weapon.
4.2. Standing up from prone does not provoke an Attack of Opportunity.

5. Classes:
Fighter: A fighter may choose to have either her Fortitude or Reflex save as her strong save (the one starting at +2 at 1st level).
A fighter gains 4+INT skill points per level.
Rogue: Whenever a rogue gains an additional Sneak Attack dice, she may opt to take a feat instead from the following list: Acrobatic, Agile, Alertness, Athletic, Crimp*, Deceitful, Deft Hands, Diligent, Investigator, Negotiator, Nimble Fingers, Persuasive, Port Savvy*, Seagoing*, Self Sufficient, Skill Focus, Stealthy. A rogue must still meet all prerequisites for a bonus feat. *From Skull & Bones.

6. Multiclassing:
No multiclassing penalty.

StGabe

First Post
All skills as class skills is going to push people away from Bard/Rogue and make the Wizard in your group significantly more powerful (now they can get really good skills with all those bonus skill points from int). While I like some aspects of your folded skills (it makes more sense that way), this will exacerbate this problem. For example, a wizard player will end up being your lockpicker and trap disabler because it will be fairly trivial for him to max Disable Device and he'll have a higher int than your thief. Heck, he'll have the best search too.

My house rule is that every character gets to pick 1 skill that is always a class skill. On top of that I use the background feats and the "cosmopolitan" feat from Wheel of Time and it's a popular background feat to take which can mean that the some players start with two extra class skills.

Also I'm not sure I see the point in increasing synergy bonuses. Those are already very powerful. IMO all this will do is make you inflate all your DC's against your characters with massive skill bonuses (that or trivialize all the skills).

arnon

Explorer
As this is a Skull & Bones campaign (for those not in the know: by Mythic Vistas, "swashbuckling horror in the golden age of piracy", think Pirates of the Caribbean) there are no Bard (although there is the Shantyman), Wizards, Sorcerers and other spellcasting classes, only those provided in the setting book and those too (i failed to mention), may not be chosen by the players.

Also I'm not sure I see the point in increasing synergy bonuses. Those are already very powerful. IMO all this will do is make you inflate all your DC's against your characters with massive skill bonuses (that or trivialize all the skills).

This might not even be relevant as we probably not reach very high levels, but i think it's only logical that the synergies increse... plus, since there is little to no magic in this setting (and certainly no magical items) i see no harm.

StGabe

First Post
As this is a Skull & Bones campaign (for those not in the know: by Mythic Vistas, "swashbuckling horror in the golden age of piracy", think Pirates of the Caribbean) there are no Bard (although there is the Shantyman), Wizards, Sorcerers and other spellcasting classes, only those provided in the setting book and those too (i failed to mention), may not be chosen by the players.

Ok, yeah, I'm not up on that campaign setting.

I still think that is going to somewhat trivialize the rogue class (or similar classes for this setting) as a large part of the value of their class is their access to skills and in general will make the skill system less important. Basically, the more you restrict access to skills, the more valuable having those skills is. Giving everyone access to everything is going to tend to water down the overall value of having skills reducing the power of skill-heavy classes and the overall utility of focusing on skills.

But maybe that's your goal? I was assuming that the point was to increase the utilization of skills overall and I think you may be causing just the opposite.

This might not even be relevant as we probably not reach very high levels, but i think it's only logical that the synergies increse...

I may be wrong. However I think that Synergies work fine as they are. If you think about it a +2 Synergy bonus is a +10% to do something whether you have a skill bonus of +10 and a DC of 20 or a skill bonus of +20 and a DC of 30. I'm not sure what additional races or backgrounds you have but with the extra feats and all you may see people with skill focuses, synergies, etc., raising their skills to ridiculous levels. And then, like I said, you're either going to have huge DC's or skills are going to be trivial because the player never fails.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads