• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

House Ruling 4E? How common

Rechan

Adventurer
Here's the house rules I want to try in my next campaign:
[sblock] Change to To-Hit formula

Normally you determine your attack bonus this way:
Primary Ability Score + ½ level + Weapon Proficiency + Enhancement + Feat

I propose the following change:
5 + ½ Level + Weapon Proficiency + Enhancement + Non-Expertise Feat
+1 at levels 5, 11, 15, 21, 25.

Damage for an attack still depends on the primary score of the power used (such as 1[W]+Dex for a ranged basic attack).

Power Stunts

Some times you want to do something very cool, that fits in line with your character’s theme, but there isn’t a rule for it. Such as a druid causing roots to spring out of the side of a cliff, aiding in climbing, or a Priest of Moradin causing a cave in to halt the retreat of enemies.

To do this, you must spend an Action Point + a Healing Surge. This gives you the opportunity to do something badass. You still have to roll an attack or skill check (whichever better represents it). A normal Power Stunt is on par with the power of an Encounter power. You may also modify an Encounter power – making it effect more targets, etc. A modified Encounter power can be no more powerful than a Daily. A Daily can be modified, but it must be within reason (and my have drawbacks). What’s kosher is up to DM.

Exploding Skills

Normally, a skill roll looks like this:

1d20 + Trained (which means +5) + ½ level + Ability Score + Race + Feat + Misc.

Instead, here is what I’d like to try.
Untrained Skill: 3d6 + Ability Score + ½ level + Race + Feat + Misc
Trained Skill: 4d6 + Ability Score + ½ level + Race + Feat + Misc
Skill Focus feat grants +1d6 to roll.

If you roll a 6, you add the result and re-roll the die. If you roll another 6, you add it in and re-roll again, until you no longer get a 6.

Misc

Milestones (Which are necessary to gain Action Points) are not related to every two fights, but occur when something significant is achieved. Such as stopping an enemy’s ritual mid battle, or removing unhallowed ground, etc. Other opportunities for gaining Action Points will occur.

At level 1, everyone receives a free racial feat.

Against Solo Monsters, Stun = Loss of a Standard Action, Daze = Loss of a minor.

Sure Strike/Careful Attack – Add following. Effect: You gain a +2 on the next attack you make.

Crafting will be handled with a skill challenge.[/sblock]
The consequence of these rules, I'm thinking, is that I would treat the PCs as one level higher than they are, in terms of determing XP budges (so an average encounter for a 1st level group is a 2nd level encounter). But I'm not sure about that, because their HP and attacks may not equate. On the other hand, I want to try and kill them.

I will say that treating Sure Strike/Careful Attack as an attack vs. ref that can be used as a Basic attack is a very tempting change. But I like my version for the simple fact that it provides a built-in strategy of using the AW before you use an Encounter/Daily.

Another tempting thought is treating an Encounter power that misses as having a recharge of 6. But that may be too much.

I don't houserule 4E to the extent I houseruled 2E and 3E. Previous editions required heavy houseruling to be run in any sort of satisfactory manner, and with 3E it still never ran to my satisfaction. 4E runs pretty well out of the box, a D&D first. In 4E, my houserules amount to a few minor tweaks:

1. 26 pt buy with the caveat that no character can start with a stat above 18(no 20s).
2. I've banned or changed the levels a few magic items
3. I give out a few more magic items to characters starting above 1st level(generally adding a level+2 item and a level-2 item)

Siberys

Adventurer
Houseruling is my primary hobby, when I'm not playing (so, most of the time).

I have;

• Built-in attack and defense bonuses, replacing expertise feats and masterwork armor.

• Re-worked Multiclassing

• "Astral Damage" - except in a relatively short list of exceptions, ivine powers with damage keywords replace those keywords with "Astral". Astral damage is of a type determined by your deity or religion (for example, the raven queen is cold or necrotic - when you make your character, you choose one of those damage types)

• Assorted tweaks to races, classes, weapons, and feats, and some homebrew races, feats, and paragon paths.

The full document comes out to around forty pages, but I use white space and big headers (much in the same way the real books do), and a good portion of that is an index of explicitly disallowed or changed material (mostly multiclass feats, due to my houserules).

Ismaul

Explorer
I house rule a lot in my game, to make it fit with how we like to play. The biggest change I've made to the system yet is the hit point/damage mechanics.

I've never liked high hit points and damage numbers.What is 27 damage when the monster has 237 HPs? But when HP and damage don't scale much, when the numbers are small, everything is much more tangible. If you have 5 HPs, each HP you lose is felt. And if an attack hits you for 3 damage, you know it hurt a lot. Makes it easier to describe. And it meshes well with the skill rolls and challenges systems, escpecially when you include them in combat. 1 success = 1 hit = 1 damage = 1 HP.

Anyways, the main points:
1) Players get a fixed number of hit points: 5 in general, 4 for controllers and 6 for defenders, +1 primal, +1 per tier.
Why? 5 is approximately the number of hits with average damage a monster of the same level needs to reduce the PC's HP to 0.

2) Monsters get a fixed number of hit points: 1 for minions, 4 for normal monsters, -1 artillery/lurkers, +1 brutes, X2 elites, X4 solos. Higher level monsters are simply converted to elites, while lower ones are treated as minions.
Why? Normal monsters are 4X the xp of a minion. It seems logical that they have 4X HPs. Also, it takes a PC about 4 hits to kill a normal monster of his level.

3) Attacks do fixed damage: 1 for most attacks, 2-3 for limited use powers, maybe more at higher tiers. +1 for crits and other stuff, like sneak attack.
Why? Low numbers and next to no rolls means faster combats. Also, I like basic attacks making 1 damage. But with this system they are always as effective. They "scale" without scaling.

4) The Damage roll: When the damage/healing done is less than 1 (say the warlord's Furious Smash that does Str dmg), we use a damage roll. It's juss like a save, on 10+ you do 1 damage.

Levels are still meaningful even without the HP difference, because they come with higher defenses and attacks.

Obryn

Hero
I do stuff with minions that varies from fight to fight. Sometimes I just double them, sometimes I make them come in waves, sometimes I give them DR. I try to keep it thematically appropriate to the creature, though.

Other than that, I give Expertise bonuses to all attacks at 5/15/25 levels.

I've also banned a few items, but that barely counts as a house rule, IMO.

-O

Thasmodious

First Post
I love to houserule and tweak. I've not done a lot with 4e yet, mostly brought over some of my favorite bits from before. I will eventually redo the XP system. I like simple XP that requires no book consultation and no math. In 3e I used a 40 pt/lvl system. 13 encounters to a level they said, so a balanced, level appropriate encounter was worth 3 points, an easy encounter worth 0-1, and a difficult encounter worth 5 (awarded after the fight based on how it played, not on how it looked on paper). I gave out 0-1 pts for story rewards, character goals, RP, my coveted DM entertainment award (going to the guy who busts up the table in character, pulls off the perfect movie quote, or kindly falls into my most devious traps of the evening). I've been meaning to work it up for 4e, shouldn't take much, just want to play with the numbers a bit, work in the emphasis on quest rewards. I think about the same numbers would work again, but I haven't sat down and played with the math yet so I can get it just right (we like a bit faster leveling than standard).

I also hate tracking mundane adventuring gear usage. As a player I like to have a bit of everything, right tool for the job and all of that. I've used a system in the past where a PC picked an equipped level that reflected how much mundane and special tools he liked to keep on hand and outfit for his travels. The level came with an upkeep cost and then when the PC needed an item, it's availability was based on his equipped level with die rolls for rarer and specialized equipment.

Several of my older houserules became core rules with 4e (like handling magic item identification off-screen).

Destil

Explorer
While I enjoy fiddling with the rules a lot, I generally have gone more and more to an opinion that house rules, in general, are bad (or at least cumbersome). It's easier for someone to pick up and play the game if all the rules are in the books. Therefore when I started playing 4E I abandon my several hundreds of pages of 3E house rules (many of which were tweaks for preference) from 3E and have tried to avoid adding more.

Also, the Character Builder is a pretty handy too, and since it doesn't really support house rules (i.e. you can add a feat, but you can't add the bonuses/penalties it would give to powers) I'm avoiding too many things that would mess with it.

Still, I have a few things I felt the need to modify.

So far the list is pretty small:

No expertise feats. I'm lowering monster defense instead (most of my need to tweak rules these days comes into play with monster creation).

Mark of Healing adds +2/4/6 hp healed instead of a saving throw.

No bloodclaw weapons, no iron armbands of power or bracers of archery.

Scimitar is versatile.
No defensive weapon property.
Double sword is +3/+3 d8/d8 heavy blade/heavy blade; double scimitar is +2/+2 d8/d8 heavy blade/heavy blade high crit.

Nothing from Dragon without prior DM approval.

Remove ads