• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Houseruling Item creation - help me balance it

Aldor

First Post
I greatly enjoyed some of the directions Pathfinder took regarding magic items. I like both how they tackled their availability at markets, and the idea of a spellcraft check to make the item, where a miss may lose you the money invested or create a cursed item. Although I am intrigued by this idea regarding magic item creation, it seems to me that the DC for making the item is actually pretty low (5 + caster level for the item) and the risk involved becomes negligible for any half-competent wizard with spellcraft maximized. Even when rushing the creation.

I had decided to simply increase the DC, since I want some greater investment from those who want to build magic items routinely (like acquiring skill focus). I also got a nifty idea at the Paizo boards, that of using something similar to the Craft mechanic (the difference between the number hit and the DC relating to the amount of work accomplished).

I would like to use both rules, but I'd like to keep the risk factor without making item creation useless. I am not sure what would be the best way to do this. How to balance it ? Do you guys have any other ideas ?

Last edited:

Micco

First Post
I decided to follow Trailblazers advice and remove all crafting feats except those that make consumable items. Even those are not available at character creation. I'm just mean that way :]

I think it does create a problem where the PCs are in charge of the magic level of the game rather than the GM. So if the Wizard makes something cool for himself, you are sort of pressured into giving cool stuff to everyone else. I'd rather be the sole proprietor of the cool shop.

GlassJaw

Hero
I decided to follow Trailblazers advice and remove all crafting feats except those that make consumable items. Even those are not available at character creation. I'm just mean that way :]

:D

Nah, not mean. Bringing back the "use what you find" mentality to your players is one step towards bringing the "wonder" back to your game.

If the players always know they can buy or make the items they want, there isn't much surprise or wonder when they find magic items, nor does it affect their character development in any way.

If the party find a really sweet flail, does the barbarian not use it since he's waiting for a greataxe? Decisions, decisions... ;)

Gossamerblade

First Post
Since money isn't an issue in most of our campaigns (characters become comfortably well-off, if not downright stinkin' rich, rather quickly for some reason), our GM is keeping the 3.5 experience cost of creating items. However, that cost can be paid by the character requesting the item instead of the creator. Basically, the character works with the creator on the item, adding "lifeforce" (xp) during the creation process.

And, of course, there's still a skill roll. :p

Micco

First Post
Yeah, I was joking about the mean part. The key reason I'm going with the no crafting and low magic item availability (only found stuff) is to make the character's the central focus of the campaign, not their stuff.

It's a tough balance, but I think done right having fewer, but more precious, magic items will really give the players a sense of accomplishment.

By the way, great job with Trailblazer. It totally rocks! I'm plugging in several of the 'modules' into my PF system (Action Points, I'm looking at you...) Nice job.

Xaaon

First Post
There are other things which can be done as well

Research, how does the fighter know about a keen/flaming burst weapon? Knowledge arcana is required to know the existence of any type of magic items.

Rare components, return back the old days, perhaps a dagger of venom requires a venom sack from a colossal scorpion.

Failure to create the item might result in the loss of the rare item (say by rolling a 1 or missing your roll by 10)

Remove ads