• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How about "+1 level" for all spellcasting prestige classes?

Dark Psion

First Post
Bruce Cordell recently revised the psi-handbook prestige clases to use "+1 level" instead of starting over again with 1st, 2nd & 3rd level powers and it can really makes multiclassing a lot more fun. I created a 5th level Psion/5th level Metamind/5th level Loremaster/5th level Slayer as a "Psychic Sage" for my campaign and with the new rules he manifests as a 17th level Psion. Here is Bruce's convertions

How about using this with spellcasting prestige classes as well?
For example, a first level Assassin without wizard levels would cast as a 1st level wizard, picking up cantrips and more spells at higher levels, but an assassin mage would continue to advance in his spellcasting level as an assassin. The same would be true for a Blackguard, who was formally a paladin or cleric.

nsruf

First Post
I could see this as a house rule, provided PrC with limited spell progression (Assassin, Blackguard, etc.) get only +1 caster level every other level (2, 4, 6, 8, 10). If you want to keep some of the flavor and special abilities granted through spells, just add them to the class list of the core class. I don't mind the system as is, but those changes would make things a little simpler and allow spellcasters easier access to some PrC (without the worries about abandoning spell progression altogether).

Ywain

First Post
But why would you want *easier* access to some prestige classes, they are supposed to be difficult to qualify for and they are supposed to provide power at a cost. I really don't like this idea at all.

If you want an Arcane Assassin prestige class make one up from scratch. Drop the sneak attack progression to every 3rd level and lose the Uncanny Dodge completely, then add +1 caster level at every even level.

C'mon, if every prestige class allowed +1 caster level *and* all of the core prestige class abilities who wouldn't go for it. The extra HP alone are probably worth the investment in a few skills and feats. There are enough prestige classes that you could always find one that your PC could qualify for with little effort. e.g. Elven Wizard spends three feats (on bows, which he can use pretty well anyway at least at low levels) and as soon as he makes the BAB requirement he can just start getting d8 HP, better BAB (for touch spells and rays), excellent Fort and Reflex saves and if he never picks up a bow again in his life he's still just as good a spellcaster as ever.

Ouch.

Even if the idea were only limited to "secondary" spellcasting prestige classes (i.e. those with a spell list, not a caster level increase) it really begs the question, why, in this revised system, the paladin, ranger, and bard don't just get a straight cleric, druid or sorcerer spell progression. The answer is, of course, that these classes would be too powerful if they had a dedicated spell progression. The same is true of the prestige classes.

I'm no expert on psionics, but many people complain that the psions are too weak. Perhaps this is Mr. Cordell's way of retroactively balancing psions.

SpikeyFreak

First Post
Most prestige classes are more powerful that the core classes as it is. They don't need a boost.

--Low-magic Spikey

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
And then should fighters also not lose out on BAB no matter what prestige class they take, and rogues get 8 skill points a level and keep advancing sneak attack no matter what the prestige class is?

For some PrC, keeping spell progression is appropriate. For many, it is not. Generally speaking, one is supposed to give up something to join the class. We shouldn't make it that one never gives up spellcasting power.

Jaligard

First Post
For some Prestige Classes, this will not work well. Bladesinger, for instance, would be much nicer if it added to spellcaster level, but...one of his abilities is to cast a Bladesinger spell as a free action every round. To give this ability to a high level wizard would be very unbalanced.

(As it stands now, you would have to give up 6 levels to the Bladesinger class to get this ability, not to mention the fighter levels you'll undoubtedly need to acquire the prestige class in the first place. This effectively limits your power as a wizard/sorcerer.)

Remove ads