D&D 5E How are Bloodied & Bruised, Legendary Bestiary: Lair Actions, and MM Expanded?

Stormonu

Legend
I've use the MM Expanded - the stat blocks are well-laid out and it really opens up the level and option range for familiar monster encounters (lots of bosses for epic fights and "lesser" versions for low-level encounters). The later books (especially #3) have a lot of monsters from older editions that weren't converted to 5E or are entirely new (#3 is my favorite of them all for the "new" monsters, #1 & #2 is good if you want different options for CR an abilities for existing monsters).

Greg K

Legend
I've use the MM Expanded - the stat blocks are well-laid out and it really opens up the level and option range for familiar monster encounters (lots of bosses for epic fights and "lesser" versions for low-level encounters). The later books (especially #3) have a lot of monsters from older editions that weren't converted to 5E or are entirely new (#3 is my favorite of them all for the "new" monsters, #1 & #2 is good if you want different options for CR an abilities for existing monsters).
Thanks Stormonu.

mamba

Legend
If you want more monsters, with a variety of options for many of the 'official' ones, you can't go wrong with MME 1 to 3, and Dragonix Deadly Denizens (same author). I definitely like all four of them and they make the other third-party monster books mostly obsolete for me.

Bloodied & Bruised gives some additional actions when a monster first gets bloodied (down to <= 50% health) which mixes up the fight a bit.

In a similar vein there are the Recharge series which adds rechargeable skills and Legendary Bestiary series which adds legendary actions.

I like them, but having some actions in a separate book is a bit of a pain, i.e. you basically have to create your own statblock that includes these, to not forget about them.

Don't have the Legendary actions or Lair actions ones

Greg K

Legend
If you want more monsters, with a variety of options for many of the 'official' ones, you can't go wrong with MME 1 to 3, and Dragonix Deadly Denizens (same author). I definitely like all four of them and they make the other third-party monster books mostly obsolete for me.

Bloodied & Bruised gives some additional actions when a monster first gets bloodied (down to <= 50% health) which mixes up the fight a bit.

In a similar vein there are the Recharge series which adds rechargeable skills and Legendary Bestiary series which adds legendary actions.

I like them, but having some actions in a separate book is a bit of a pain, i.e. you basically have to create your own statblock that includes these, to not forget about them.

Don't have the Legendary actions or Lair actions ones
Thanks @mamba

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Consider this another endorsement of all three of Dragonix's Monster Manual Expanded books. I have been very happy with them. I don't have any of the other products so I can't speak to them.

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
I use all three of Dragonix's Monster Manual Expanded books as well as his Deadly Denizens book on DriveThruRPG. There are so many great monsters and monster variant stats in this book for every tier of play, and I love using these stat blocks as they come and as a base to add additional features and actions on top of, including those from the Bloodied & Bruised series.

Darkwynters

Explorer
I have been using Anne Gregersen’s Bruised and Bloodied books for my table’s Keys to the Golden Vault and Phandelver and Below. I have not seen any OP and sometimes it’s just nice to have the monsters do something unexpected for my players.

Darkwynters

Explorer
I have also recently used some of her Monster Loot books. I just bought Monster Loot: Phandelver and Below during the DMsguild sale. Looks pretty good. Especially since my gamers love looting corpses of monsters. LOL

Last edited:

Remove ads