• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How are the ratings calculated?

Fralex

Explorer
I was examining the reviews for the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide because I was curious if the average was misleading. This is the grade distribution for all ratings cataloged on the site:

5 5 5 5
4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4
3 3 3 3 3
2 2 2

The fast majority thought this product was pretty good, with the second-biggest majority thinking it was decent, but not necessarily worthwhile. Almost as many people thought it was fantastic, closely followed by the people who disliked it and that one person who really hated it.

If you take the median rating, the average would be 80%. If you take the mean rating, the average is 71.3%. Both of these are higher than the 64% score it got, and I'm wondering where that number comes from.

neobolts

Explorer
At first I thought it might be excluding the Ecapist and 5MWD reviews as "external", but the math didn't work for that either. Maybe the overall score only recalculates periodically to deter tampering? That's only a guess.

Remove ads