• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How big are regulation dice?

Stumblewyk

Adventurer
Seriously, though, I have die ranging from the size of golfballs down to the size of a pair of asprin- as long as they aren't loaded, their size doesn't matter.
This. I have my huge "combat dice" that I always jokingly threaten double as projectiles versus particularly annoying players, and my teeny-tiny dice. And then a pile that fit in between them in the "standard" size.

There is no "regulation size". If they're polyhedral and not "loaded" they're good to go.

ourchair

First Post
"Say there... Is that pre-regulation Destroyer-class specially-molded recoil boosted dice you have there?"

"Why, yes it is! Ta-ta!"

cpendlet

First Post
Ok. I didn't know if during games that are run by WOTC if they had regulations on size of dice or not (like Vegas).

I found a beautiful set that is 14mm and I love them.. they're just .. expensive.

I have some stone dice and they came smaller than the specified dimensions (size in marketing material is the size of the cube of rock they started with and not the size of the finished product). Also they are NOT balanced at all (this is obvious just by looking at them as some of the sides are clearly bigger than others). Even IF the size of each side was the same they would probably not be balanced anyway as rock is a natural material that has a lot of variably in its density.

I would check with WOTC to see what they say about stone dice before getting them just to make sure.

Shin Okada

Explorer
I'd say the same goes for metal or stone dice. They sure look nice, but can quickly chew up someone's table top or battle mat.

One of my friend has a custom-made 6-sided die made of Tungsten carbide. It is prohibited by most DMs as it is too heavy (about 40% much heavier than lead) and too hard (about 9 in Mohs scale).

Minifig

First Post
Those real stone dice are rather expensive ($25+ for "cheap" ones, I have seen some that were around $100 for a semi-precious stone).

You mean.. like these:

CYC2151.jpg

What you are looking at there are gold plated dice. 150$-200$.

cpendlet

First Post
I had not seen those before. The $100 ones I recall were made of some fancy marble that had a lot of fossels in it (also used for counter tops).

Remove ads