• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How big are regulation dice?

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
Out of curiousity, does anyone know what the size is for an average set of dice? 16mm? Larger? I'm curious because I have the brushed steel ones and they're smaller than the rest of my dice. It would be cool to get a set of aluminium ones that are full regular (as in average) size. I saw that dwarven stones are available in 12mm and 16mm and I'm not sure which ones I have since they were a present. If I have the 12mm and 16mm are closer to the average I might think about getting myself a christmas present. :D

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Ditto on the "spin-down" D20s (which are actually life-counters for MtG, if I remember correctly, not dice per-se)

As an aside, I used to use 2 d6s for life counters in Magic.

Nothing says that you have to display your life in Base 10, though it's not recommended that you do that with people you don't know. But the d6s were much less likely to roll over inconveniently than a d20, and I did enjoy the complaining that "you have 32* life, that's not right!"

Brad

* - 3 on the "tens" die, so 18, + the 2 on the "ones" die, = 20.

whearp

First Post
Well if we're talking about dice worth saving for, you can't get much better than mine.

They are carved out of Rasputin's left femur, which was smuggled out of St. Petersburg shortly after the February Revolution and kept in a masonic vault for several decades. I find they have a good heft, and are really easy to read with the dark red inking on the bleached bone.

My only gripe with them is that I've tended to find small dead animals near by dice bag in the morning, and I sometimes develop a slight nosebleed whenever I roll a natural one. This is all probably coincidental, though.

Ketjak

Malicious GM
Stone dice are not balanced

The big problem with stone dice is that they are not regularly-shaped; they are polished to obtain their shape, and in general that makes them off-true. Buy a pack of stone tens and stack them, or use a sensitive level on the faces of any die.

They're pretty, they make a nice thunk, but if you're looking for an even distribution of numbers, I'd stick with regular dice - GameScience offers Precision Dice. www

I think metal dice are made with more rigor than the stone dice, and they can be pretty without being hideously expensive - $35 for a set of brass ones. Google is your friend, he'll help you find them.

Heh, brass ones.

scylis

First Post
The Official size for dice is at least 20 cubits* but no greater than 27 cubits in width.

[sblock]The Egyptian Royal Cubit is the assumed cubit in use.[/sblock]

Remove ads