how campaigns begin...

Illirion

First Post
My campaign started as followed:

I announce I will be starting up DMing. It was a while ago that we last played a campaign DMed by me, so I said I wanted to keep gaming in the same world, but with a different party. Old cahracters could be used, but they'd have to be remade and have background reasons for ending up in the spot they will be at the beginning of the new campaign. Everyone starts thinking about a character. Everyone gathers for the first session and I ask if anyone has any preferences on how to start it off. Nobody has any ideas/preferences. I go with the thing I've been wanting to do and they start in the tavern responding to a bodyguard ad they saw in town. The characters they ended up with btw were a bugbear spiked chain fighter, a gnome druid, a human ranger and a halfling rogue. The ranger and the rogue were imports from the previous campaign.

I prepared for the first session by making a flexible first encounter that could take place basically anywhere. Depending on whether anyone had any ideas on where to start off I would be able to walk them through the first encounter (they are all relative unexperience players and only really understand combat basics). I was able to use the world-maps from my previous campaign.

Since we started in a tavern the first encounter became a bar-fight with a drunken werewolf and a barbarian :) .

Cheers,
Illirion.

Remove ads