• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How can I quickly teach someone else to effectively play a warlord?

nai_cha

First Post
Hello, I am a (fairly) new D&D player who has to give someone even noobier than myself a crash course in playing a warlord.

Basically, my sister decided to be a warlord for our next game. She gave me some basic guidelines for how to build him (human, Inspiring Warlord build, here's his backstory, don't minmax him, our party needs healing and he's the only leader) but that's about it. I have free rein to choose powers, feats &c. I've been consulting char op boards but I'm really confused because some of them are contradictory.

Also, I'm going to have to explain to her how things work and what to do to be effective. This is a problem. She doesn't like to read the manual. For anything. She likes to figure things out on her own, or get someone else to explain/summarise things for her if all else fails. This is great when she's fiddling with her cellphone or helping other people fix their laptop, but not for a game. She's given PHB1 and Player's Strategy Guide a few reads but that's about it. She's had experience playing an eladrin swordmage (currently at level 6).

So after that long winded intro (sorry) my basic questions are:

(1) What powers would you recommend for an inspiring warlord that are not so difficult to manage, as well as providing lots and lots of combat advantage? (I'm playing a rogue, and it's part of our character's backstories that we always help each other in a fight.)
(2) What feats would you recommend for maximum healing? (So far, I have Improved Inspiring Word, Toughness, and Stirring Word.)
(3) How would you give a super crash course on how to play the warlord effectively? Bullet points of salient features, &c &c.

My problem is I've never played a warlord before, and neither has anyone in our party, so I'm kind of at sea :D My only previous experience is playing a ranger.

And please don't say "make her a cleric instead" because clerics aren't allowed in our game.

Thank you in advance!

Kingreaper

Adventurer
You're a rogue: melee or ranged? If melee, do you like hitting people while they're down? Race?
Who else is in the party?

Warlord's, even more than most leaders, depend on the party composition.

nai_cha

First Post
We're playing in Dark Sun.

We have the following:
(1) Human Melee Rogue- that's me. This will be my first time to play a rogue, all I know so far is I like hitting people, period. :)
(2) Thri-Kreen Centred Breath Monk
(3) Human Two-Handed Weapon Talent Fighter
(4) Elf Seeker (Bloodbond)

Last edited:

Kingreaper

Adventurer
Are you wielding daggers? If so, your ranged-basic may come up occasionally.

So, we've got at least two good basic attacks, Seeker and Fighter. Cool.

You're stuck with inspiring presence etc.? I suppose the extra healing is handy.

How would she feel about rarely attacking, but rather getting others to attack for her mostly?

There's cool stuff for warlords on that line, but it may not suit.

Last edited:

Merlin the Tuna

First Post
I have two big pieces of advice.

First, don't spend all your feats and powers working on your healing. Healing is an important part of being a leader, but it's not the only part of it and it probably isn't even the most important part of it.

Second, if you want to reference CharOp but are overwhelmed by all the information, try reading this article. It's a little lengthier than it needs to be, but it has a number of helpful guidelines that should get you started on general strategy.

nai_cha

First Post
Yep, I'm wielding daggers. Also I took the Melee Training feat so that my MBA doesn't totally suck. The fighter and the seeker aren't minmaxed, but the monk is.

She's cool with rarely attacking, I think. Right now, her stats are Str 18, Con 11, Dex 8, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 15. I could try to talk her out of Inspiring Warlord but that's what she says fits her character's personality so that's what I'm working with.

Kingreaper

Adventurer
Yep, I'm wielding daggers. Also I took the Melee Training feat so that my MBA doesn't totally suck. The fighter and the seeker aren't minmaxed, but the monk is.
That's actually slightly unfortunate, because the monk is the hardest one for her to make use of.

Still. First piece of advice for her: If nai_cha has missed that turn, and still has CA, give nai_cha another attack. The sneak attack damage is major.

Kingreaper

Adventurer
Oh, quick check, this is wanted as a melee warlord, not archer, right?

Melee has the whole flanking thing going for it, I'm guessing that's more appropriate.

Oh, and starting level?

So far, power-wise, I'm thinking:

Intuitive Strike. For use when the rogue needs help hitting. It's Vs. will, so used on tough, possibly fast, but dumb monsters.

Commander's Strike. For when you're flanking with someone, and they hit harder than you do.

Rousing Assault. For when you know you're going to be pulling out the healing.

Encounter power: Vengeance is Mine: when you get hit, hit back. Diabolic stratagem is similar, but more GM dependent. A heavy thrown weapon might help here.

Daily: Destructive Surprise. AKA "Fighter, I choose you"

Last edited:

nai_cha

First Post
Merlin the Tuna: Thank you for the advice and the link. I'll see in what other ways her character can contribute aside from healing. So far what we both know is that we want to set up CA for my rogue as much as possible /selfish (like I said, my sister and I are new at this. We've only been playing for about, two, three months so we still get a little lost sometimes).

Kingreaper: Yup, melee, and we're starting at level 2. Thank you very much for your recommendations. I'll run them by her before our game tomorrow.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads