• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How close to the RAW did/do you play AD&D1?

How close to the Rules As Written did/do you play AD&D1?

• Absolutely (90-100%) by the RAW, right down to the helmet rule

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • Mostly by the RAW (61-89%), but with some House Rules

Votes: 49 52.1%
  • Half RAW (40-60%) with half House Rules

Votes: 23 24.5%
  • Bare nod to the RAW (11-39%), mostly House Rules

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Used only the name (0-10%)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • X - Never played AD&D1 / Other

Votes: 11 11.7%

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
We usually fudged encumbrance and made use of ability checks, so we mostly used the RAW — but made adjustments where we felt that it improved play.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Geh. Give a percentage? On a game I played decades ago? Not happening.

We played... mostly by the rules. We ignored some, we added a few.

Rolflyn

First Post
Started using all rules we understood. Helmet rule never came up because everyone in armor kept their helmet on (which is rather the point). Eventually, we redid the initiative system (because we really didn't understand it) and dropped the weapon vs. AC adjustments. Other than that, by the book.

So changing 2 rules out of 3 books. What is the percentage of that? I checked 80%, but by page count it is more like 99.99%.

The Shaman

First Post
Ninety percent plus.

Our most significant houserule was to use segments instead of rounds as the basic time-unit of combat, or as I like to call it, "The Great Fighter Equalizer." It made combat spellcasting much more challenging - no more firing off a fireball or lightning bolt every round without a wand or staff - and placed a premium on defensive spells like shield and fighter henchmen for magic-users.

Off the top of my head the only rule I can remember not using consistently was monthly subsistence; we tended to use it when we were in a significant town or city but not while travelling or exploring.

I never understand players who don't use weapons versus armor class modifiers: "An extra +1 or +2 to hit? Nah, no thanks, I can't be bothered to write down a few numbers on my character sheet for that."

Ariosto

First Post
Remember: ignoring/omitting rules counts as House Rules.
Which, of course, is nothing but Bullgrit's House Rule. I guess it's pretty convenient for a certain agenda that some things are incompatible, either/or propositions such that one must ignore/omit at least one.

And don’t anybody start with the old “the rules are guidelines” crap.
Because you are who again? By what authority do you dismiss as "crap" the statement, "As we've said time and time again, the 'rules' were never meant to be more than guidelines; not even true 'rules.'"?

I give you a raspberry, wiseacre! :p

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Because you are who again?

He's the guy who asked the question. He's allowed to frame what he means by it, and upon what basis he'd like to see answers. If you don't like it, you don't have to take part in the discussion. There are hundreds of others here, you know.

Chainsaw

Banned
Banned
And don’t anybody start with the old “the rules are guidelines” crap. <glares sternly>

Bullgrit

The rules are guidelines.

I've seen boards solely devoted to 1E spend hundreds of posts debating and discussing different intrepretations of the initiative "RAW," so I'm not sure the question about adherence to "RAW" means that much - two people could say "YES" and be adhering to different rules.

If you have a specific rule in mind, maybe stating it will help.

Hussar

Legend
I'd say about 50% and like Bullgrit, a decade or so ago I would have pegged it higher. It's been eye-opening to say the least in the last few years, reading various 1e threads how little my game actually resembled a by the book 1e game.

Heh, and having my hand slapped here more than a few times for bringing up stuff I thought was true has stopped me from opening my big mouth anymore. :p At least mostly.

Chainsaw

Banned
Banned
I'd say about 50% and like Bullgrit, a decade or so ago I would have pegged it higher. It's been eye-opening to say the least in the last few years, reading various 1e threads how little my game actually resembled a by the book 1e game.

Heh, and having my hand slapped here more than a few times for bringing up stuff I thought was true has stopped me from opening my big mouth anymore. :p At least mostly.

Based on various accounts I've read (maybe just worthless internet crap), EGG himself didn't always play "RAW" or even necessarily endorse the idea of "RAW."

Lilaxe

Explorer
Its funny, but I dont actually remember how we played back in the day. I dont remember how we did initiative or surprise. I remember reading the helmet rule. We didn't use weapon vs armor type. So I put 80% or so but its a hard call.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads