• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How come there are so few Medium +0LA races with inherent spell ability?

greywulf

First Post
So I've got an idea for a character who's absolutely bristling with magical energy; someone for whom the words "out of spell slots" just doesn't apply. I'm not interested in munchkinising the idea - a character with shedloads of cantrips would suit me fine.

In the campaign, all characters are going to start at second level using the stat array 10,12,13,14,15,16 allocated to suit. My idea is to play a Duskblade (from PHBII) as Arcane Attunement with INT 16 would give some cool spell-like cantrips, 6/day. That's a good start. Add in the usual spell slots and the Magical Training feat (which I judge is good for another 3 0-level spell slots for a Duskblade as well as Sorcerer/Wizard) from Player's Guide to Faerun to snarf 7 cantrip spell slots, plus 4 1st level slots full of Duskblade spell list goodness.

Next it's onto her race, there there I hit a snag. I want Medium-size race with no LA that's got a few more spell-like abilities, usable a couple of times per day. I hit the Races of books, Mythic Races and pretty much every book in my collection searching for such a race. It seems all of the races with spell-likes are either +1LA, or Small (Gnomes, etc). Grrrrr.....

I finally find one race though, and it's excellent - the Drallocks from AEG's Mercenaries (Art Director:Jim Pinto. That guy is everywhere, I swear :) ). Picture pale elfin figures wrapped in tight bandages and black hooded shroud, and you're there. They get +2 DEX, -2 CHA, and can cast dancing lights, flare and ghost sound each 1/day, among with a smattering of other abilities and light vulnerability. I fall in love with the race instantly and they become my favourite non-Drow.

That gives me a total of 16 0-level spell slots and spell-like abilities, plus 4 1st level spell slots (Blade of Blood. Mmmmmm.........). She can hold her own in a fight too, which is nice.

I conjour up a neato backstory why she's left the Underdark to enter Ptolus, and I'm done.

It still leaves the question though - why're there to few medium races with spell-like abilities at +0LA? Any ideas?

Or have I missed some in my searches?

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
You might want to expand your search to +0 LA templates that can apply to a medium creature as possible additional options.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Last time I checked, gnomes weren't medium sized... And the OP brings up gnomes in the first post.

Have you thought of using reserve feats from Complete Mage? If you're looking for low power that you can do all day - there's your baby right there. They aren't slots exactly ... more like at will abilities. Not too powerful, but sounds like it is right up your alley.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Nonlethal Force said:
Last time I checked, gnomes weren't medium sized... And the OP brings up gnomes in the first post.

Have you thought of using reserve feats from Complete Mage? If you're looking for low power that you can do all day - there's your baby right there. They aren't slots exactly ... more like at will abilities. Not too powerful, but sounds like it is right up your alley.
Absolutely the way to go, by the sounds of the OP's situation.

Reserve Feats rock on toast anyway. Can't go wrong there.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Aus_Snow said:
Absolutely the way to go, by the sounds of the OP's situation.

Reserve Feats rock on toast anyway. Can't go wrong there.

See, I am not really sure how I feel about them. I don't think they're unbalanced, necessarily ... because they aren't really that powerful. Certainly nothing like a warlock's eldritch blast - especially with the eldritch spear invocation.

Yet, for me it is a flavor issue. Had they made them sorceror only I think I would accept them better. My problem is that a wizard's strength is in its versatility. If you combine reserve feats with that versatility then you begin to encroach upon the sorcerer's bread and butter: volume.

Don't get me wrong, the concept of reserve feats rocks and I think there is a place for them. I just don't think that it is with anything but a spontaneous casting class. Just my opinion, though.

Sigurd

First Post
Multiple changing magic, even cantrips, quickly become an ability worth LA. Try taking the 0LA race you like and substituting.

ie.

Dwarf
subtract stability
Add cantrip(s) of dwarfy things.

S

greywulf

First Post
Good suggestions all, thanks.

I plan to bring in some Reserve Feats later, definitely, but considering this is a 2nd Level character and all of the reserve feats have a requirement of at least "Ability to cast 2nd level spells" or higher, it's a non starter for now. A Duskblade or Sorcerer couldn't take one of the Reserve Feats until 6th level. A Wizard could take it at 3rd.

At regards +0LA templates, I guess I could add half-Gnome (from the Book of Templates) to my Duskblade. That would give her another use of Dancing Lights, Ghost Sound and Prestidigitation once per day. I'd probably drop the ability to speak with animals and take the +1 vs kobolds and goblinoids and +4 AC vs. Giants. That would give her 19 uses of 0-level spells and 4 1st level spells. Ouch.

Not that I'd do it though - a half-gnome Drallock Duskblade is far too meta-game minmaxed for my liking :) I'll stick with the straight Drallock. She's neat.

The question still stands; are there any more Medium +0LA races with spell-like abilities?

EDIT: FnordBear and I posted at the same time! Yep, a magic using Kalashtar would work. Thank you!

Stormborn

Explorer
If you do want to use Reserve Feats early, play a human and take Precocious Apprentice (C.Arcane p. 181) which gives you a 2nd level spell slot but requires a DC 8 caster level check to use. The main value of this is that it fills the prereqs for several of the Reserve Feats which, if human, you could take now.

The other thing to look into is play Human, take Precocious Apprentice now + one of the feats that gives you a list of 3 spell-like abilities usable 1/day (also from Complete Arcane and a couple of other books) such as Communicator or Soul of the North, then when you level up take the Reserve Feat. You might also see if your DM would allow you to substitute some Feat replicating ability of a +0 LA race for one of those feats.

Remove ads