• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) How did I miss this about the Half races/ancestries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horwath

Legend
That's cool, but it wasn't RAW. And in 3.5 the DM used RAW so the halfling player routinely had to sell loot and burn XP to get magic gear of appropriate level.

It might not make sense, but I don't miss specific gear for small PCs.
never understood DMs that gave out loot that players cannot use.

If you do not want to give players appropriate gear, then just give sack of platinum so they can buy whatever they need.

Selling items is in 99% of cases just a useless hassle and burn playtime for no reason.

tricky?

you just need to write it down once on your character sheet and you are good to go.

Again I might need to review the rules but I remember people not understanding the table right away, and on the GM side it being another thing to have to account for (like stacking bonuses).

Faolyn

(she/her)
yes, dane axe that weights 2kg. Not some fantasy oversized lump of iron on a stick.
even PHBs 3kg greataxe is pushing it in terms of mass.
Even if you were to bring back racial penalties, a halfling can get a very high Strength score.

Instead of a tier list, the best way would be by point value. It takes less room and shows how each race was balanced against each other though I would bet that they would find that they are not balanced with each other.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I'm not linguistic, but grammar does seem to be important for languages to develop beyond speaking the simplest of concepts. And the things you mention--pitch, prominence, etc.--would be a form of grammar, since they would most likely influence what a particular word or concept means in relation to everything else. As far as I can tell, no human languages are completely devoid of grammar.

Of course, alien and fantasy languages might be completely different!

Ah, but you hit the nail directly on the head. "beyond speaking the simplest of concepts". Grammar is neccessary for complexity, but is complexity neccessary for language? Useful, certainly. There is a reason why all human languages are rather complex, but I don't think it is necessary to be categorized as "language"

Chaosmancer

Legend
yes. living 5 to 10 times longer on average in an inherent species advantage in all cases.

you might have written record of the ownership on your person. Definitely more likely than having a record from your grand-grand-grand-grand parents.

you will definitely known more(have more levels) on average than short lived races and know more people.

In the end, even an orc cleric can cast zone of truth on you and confirm 1st hand that you are lawful owner. You, not your ancestor 5 or 6 generations ago that MIGHT have been the owner.

but in the end, it will all probably be boiled down to Might makes right and whoever can keep the land, will keep the land.

So, you think there would be disparaty and inequality, based on lifespan. A lifespan that is determined by your "species". There would be an advantage given to you for having paper records, and a higher level of education, which would give you more rights and power than those who do not have those things.

And do you think that is a good thing?

Chaosmancer

Legend
No. Not at all. We would be special and so would they, assuming that they didn't eat our faces or terraform us to death with their advanced technology and different moral outlook and thought processes.

1) If we are both special... what does special mean? What is this "specialness"

2) Why would them eating our faces make them less special? Why is violence against humanity a deciding factor in personhood? Anyone who harms a human is not a person? That seems like a bad direction to take things. Yet it keeps coming up that a major deciding factor of "are you a person" is "do you like humanity".

Chaosmancer

Legend
I agree this is a risk of the claim, and I will address that more in my response to your next point because I feel that raises some key issues. But if we demand proof that humans abd human life are special, rather than take for granted that does open the doors to mistreatment of other human beings

Why? Or more completely, why do we require humans to be special, to treat them well? Yes, there are many things you can do to an animal that you can't do to a human, but we do also general recognize that there is moral value in treating animals well. We have laws punishing people for torture and abuse of animals. They don't have to be "special" for it to be the right thing to do, to treat them well.

I truly don't see why we need to be "special" for us to be able to say "harming other humans is bad". We can be unfair and treat sapient life better than non-sapient life, on the basis of sapience alone. That's allowed.

True, and I think that is a worthy thing to do. I wouldn't put limits on that

I mean, I wouldn't want government censorship, but I certainly would put some limits on it, based on your definition of limits. People use fantasy and sci-fi as cover for horrifically evil ideas pretty regularly. And we need to be able to say "no, these ideas are wrong", especially as they are used for violence against people rather consistently. Because as much as people on here like to say that "they are fictional, it doesn't mean anything", those with hatred in their hearts? They get the message. That's why we call it a dog whistle and not an air horn.

Yes and this is definitely something that could happen and something I would be against were we to create a digital intelligence. But I think AI also raises serious questions about what constitutes sapience and free will. What I would say is my primary concern with how personhood gets separated from humanity is it enables us to say humans with X qualities or humans lacking Y qualities may not qualify as people. So I think whatever personhood is, it always needs to encompass every human being. If we want to extend that or create new categories of -hood I am fine with that. But so far these are all theoretical so I am just more worried about what is in front of us in reality.

But to a degree, isn't this like saying you should never paint yellow apples, because all apples are red? There can be a wide variety, there can be nuance beyond the simple and pithy. We say "apples are red" without the fear that we will exlcude these apple-like green and yellow fruits from applehood. Yes, people might try and say that, but they can be proven wrong with more nuanced discussion.

Here I don't know. Your theoretical assumes we will be in a position of power enough to be the ones repeating the worst moments of our history (at least in the sense of being the ones committing the atrocities). It's is just as, maybe more likely, if that happens we will be the ones being conquered (and the ones trying to persuade them to acknowledge our personhood).

While true, I am less worried about humanity in a position of weakness, than I am about humanity in a position of strength. If we must persuade something of our personhood, then we are discussing and arguing in context. And we can do that. But if we are in a position where we must hear those arguments... the very fact that we would be needing to hear them again, indicates something went terribly, terribly wrong.

But what if we do meet an alien species and it turns out they are wholly malevolent, have minds that are in no way, shape or from like ours, and bent on our destruction? Is calling them people useful or helpful? The truth is we have no idea what an alien species could be like. The only example we have is what has happened here on earth (and even here the range of species is quite stunning). It is easy to imagine that what we meet may in no way resemble people intellectually, spiritually, emotionally, etc.

That isn't to say we should mistreat these hypothetical aliens, but I do think we should at least see what they are before we automatically confer personhood

Is calling them people useful or helpful? Yes, I think it is. After all, people who are bent on our destruction is a common occurence. People who are malevolent and bent on our destruction even more so. But keeping in mind that they are people means that we recognize that a war to kill all of them is problematic. It prevents us from treating them like something to be exterminated with no other alternative.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Because we have language, we're able to communicate abstract thoughts as well as past, present, and future events. A baboon sitting in a tree who spots a lion stalking through the grass can call out to his pals to warn them of the danger, but that same baboon can't warn his pals that he saw a lion yesterday so they should be extra cautious today.

Recursion, linguistic recursion, is a unique feature of language. I can start a sentence with "Chaosmancer is..." and finish it in a variety of ways.
  • Chaosmancer is awesome.
  • Chaosmancer is going to the Piggly Wiggly to pick up some Otter Pops.
  • Chaosmancer is not a fan of Casu martzu.
This isn't possible with the way animals communicate. Another neat thing I can do with language is communicate things that may not exist or you have never seen before. Are you familiar with Casu martzu? It's a cheese from Sardinia known for it's soft texture, excellent flavor, and for being riddled with live maggots.

Is it language that gives us that ability to think abstract thoughts and consider the past, present and future? Or did we develop language to communicate these ideas between us, but something else allowed us to think them?

Sure, let's agree, the baboon can't communicate "I saw a lion yesterday". But language IS communication, so being able to communicate "There is a lion coming towards us, danger, run!" is... still language. It isn't complex language, but it is still language.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads