• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How did they decide on the mechanics of Polymorph?

Quartz

Hero
In the Monster Manual, it's very noticeable that anything that changes its shape retains it's hit points. In the PHB the various polymorph spells and abilities grant a new form with new HP. The shapechange mechanics seem much more sensible than Polymorph, so how did the designers come up with Polymorph?

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
Polymorph can be used offensively, so there needed to be a reason you couldn't save-or-die people by turning them into jellyfish or whatever.

Thank Dog

Banned
Banned
Given how brokenly overpowered it is, I'm fairly certain they used the "Pin the Mechanic on the Baa'tezu" method of decision-making.

MacMathan

Explorer
Because they forgot the part in 3.5e where they threw up their hands and said it can't be fixed and forgot the lessons of 4e too? :confused:

In all honesty it should probably be two spells: Polymorph self and Polymorph Enemy so the save vs death aspect doesn't have to be balanced with the turning into powerful monsters aspect.

Yes, polymorph self should work without gaining too many extra hp. Offensive polymorph should stay as it is now.
Actually, after reading, I am pretty sure, you can´t polymorph yourself with polymorph... I believe with the animal´s mental abilities, you can´t concentrate on spells. So we really need a polymorph self spell.

Note, that shapechange only gives a one time bonus hp. After the first change you don´t get anymore hp.
I however must admit, that the HP of a CR 17+ are maybe a bit much, even for a level 9 spell. CR equal to your level is also quite hefty, as a CR equal to your level means capable of holding out for a while against 4 characters of your own level...

Riley37

First Post
Hero System has self-only powers, usable-on-willing-subject powers, and usable-on-unwilling-target powers.

Polymorph Self, Polymorph Ally, Baleful Polymorph.

Theovis

Explorer
Actually, after reading, I am pretty sure, you can´t polymorph yourself with polymorph... I believe with the animal´s mental abilities, you can´t concentrate on spells.

I'm pretty sure there's nothing in the rules to prevent spellcasting with Int 1, let along concentrating (which is based on Constitution).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads