• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How Did Your Lair Assault 2 Go? (spoilers)

Zuche

First Post
Otherwise, pretty cool, OhGodtheRats. Stealing the horn was a nice touch. My first two groups both planned to do the same thing, but both got too wrapped up in trying to kill the captain first.

Kudos to you also for keeping your eyes on the prize in the second encounter. Maybe that option should have been listed as a secret award, since it tells you where you should focus fire -- then again, shouldn't that be an obvious option to players already? The real challenge might be trying to get both the Baron Sparin' and Kraken Smackin' awards in the same fight, since it's unlikely you'll have time for the latter after you've achieved the former.

In retrospect, I was too kind to the players. Desperate to avoid having all of the sahuagin pinned down by web in the second round, I had the baron move out of the affected area and into an opportunity attack he could have avoided. Still, when you're trying to get players to make their turns quickly, you have to lead by example, even if you suspect you've just made a mistake. Afterward, I realized that he and his guards were fine where they were for at least long enough to kill off one of the party's two defenders while the kraken took on everyone else.

Ha. I suppose I could have also moved them below decks by the time they dropped that defender, when they'd have had strength in numbers even without the tentacles. The best resources are always double-edged.

OhGodtheRats

First Post
Hot damn, it's almost reassuring to find out I did something wrong. Thanks for the rules clarity....now I DO have to try it again. Which is exciting.
-Jared
"who literally had 3 DMs go over his character & hear that tactic & didn't think anything was wrong....I need EnWorld in a can for those special occasions."

Edit: As for tactics: I'm almost feeling that ignoring the tentacle is the thing to do. Not because they're not threatening but the wipe-out at the table next to me involved something to do with bloody tentacle (donotmakehentaijokedonotmakehentaijoke) doom. As at our table, we found it weird that despite the doom, no monster seemed to have the ability to auto-kill you by pushing you into the water. My DM says it was placement but....yeah. That's still a mystery to my crew.

Last edited:

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Once the season ends, sure. Until then, it's not proper to share privileged information with you.

Yeah, whatever.

There's lots of ways to handle that fight once people know about it. A bunch of Strikers could bloody and intimidate the BBEG in one round. Encounter over and all done on deck. See how easy it is?

If the snacks make that difficult by playing turtle, a creature that's perfectly capable of cracking the shell is going to do it -- and anyone that brought such a creature to the fight is almost certainly going to cooperate with that. Keep them busy or die; that's more than fair, considering that they could have made destroying the ship Plan A.

This is what I expect a noob DM would do. He cannot think of a good idea, so he destroys the PCs inverted deux ex machina.

DM: "You went below decks. Ok, you're dead."

zzzzz :yawn:

I'd have the tentacles break through the sides of the ship in a few rounds and continue the attack. That's what WotC should have done in the writeup.

LA 2 had a good premise (better than LA 1), but it's implementation is pretty flawed. You'd think that the designers would run a couple of dozen games with it with uninformed players, just to get rid of pretty obvious questions like "the PCs go below the deck, what does the DM do about it?".

Zuche

First Post
There's lots of ways to handle that fight once people know about it.

Do you then understand why it was silly to ask someone who knows all about it?

Tony Vargas stated that hiding below decks was the most sensible approach for a first attempt. I disagree, but he did not claim that it was the only option. He did not claim that any other option was suicidal either. After you made it clear that your crew conducted hit-and-run from the hold, I agreed that your team was not, in fact, acting in an entirely suicidal manner. As long as you can keep your enemy focused on you, great.

Your signature observes that broken rules can be confirmed by the suggestion of readied actions as the counter. It's as true for broken encounters as rules. If the best the kraken had were readied actions, exchanging blast attacks for single target strikes, there goes the challenge. Why bother with any powers that could take the tentacles out of the fight for a round or more? Plenty of options force generous movement, and enough at this level daze, immobilize, or slow enemies. That may cost you your focused fire, but it beats turning your ship into the target for focused fire.

This is what I expect a noob DM would do. He cannot think of a good idea, so he destroys the PCs inverted deux ex machina.

Rules for attacking vehicles are listed in the Adventurer's Vault. The kraken is already on the scene, holding the boat in place. There is no deus ex machina. Unless PCs are willing to stick their necks out, there is only one poorly protected target.

Put the shoe on the other foot: If PCs played the sahuagin with a kraken to aid them, would you rule out attacks against the ship if her crew all ran below decks?

Now if the vessel could be sunk within a single round, that's a balance issue. Two or three, maybe more with the right tricks? That's plenty of time for people who can adapt to circumstances as befits heroes.

I'd have the tentacles break through the sides of the ship in a few rounds and continue the attack. That's what WotC should have done in the writeup.

The adventure was intended to challenge experienced players. That calls for DMs able to figure out the break check for sections of a ship's hull on their own, or how much damage it would take to sink a caravel.

LA 2 had a good premise (better than LA 1), but it's implementation is pretty flawed. You'd think that the designers would run a couple of dozen games with it with uninformed players, just to get rid of pretty obvious questions like "the PCs go below the deck, what does the DM do about it?".

You didn't like the obvious answer. Besides, if it's so obvious, why would an experienced DM need it answered? I'm sure the play testers think we're smart enough to take initiative here.

keterys

First Post
I'm sure the play testers think we're smart enough to take initiative here.
As one of the playtesters, I can assure you my table wouldn't have considered DMs having to handwave results for a competition event a good thing and would have submitted appropriate feedback.

Oddly, the loophole might have been created due to the initial feedback. Clearly, we should have accepted the offer to playtest again (but, time, precious time).

Argh, I hate not having a copy of the final version to see for sure what folks are talking about.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Do you then understand why it was silly to ask someone who knows all about it?

Tony Vargas stated that hiding below decks was the most sensible approach for a first attempt. I disagree, but he did not claim that it was the only option. He did not claim that any other option was suicidal either. After you made it clear that your crew conducted hit-and-run from the hold, I agreed that your team was not, in fact, acting in an entirely suicidal manner. As long as you can keep your enemy focused on you, great.

As far as I am concerned, if players figure out a way to prevent an enemy from attacking them, they shouldn't be punished for it.

DM: "Crap. You found the weakness in the module. Well, I can fix that. You're dead."

Whatever.

Your signature observes that broken rules can be confirmed by the suggestion of readied actions as the counter.

This only works for 3.5 and earlier. It's an old signature that I just like to keep around. It doesn't work for 4E, so maybe it doesn't make sense in your 4E argument.

It's as true for broken encounters as rules. If the best the kraken had were readied actions, exchanging blast attacks for single target strikes, there goes the challenge. Why bother with any powers that could take the tentacles out of the fight for a round or more? Plenty of options force generous movement, and enough at this level daze, immobilize, or slow enemies. That may cost you your focused fire, but it beats turning your ship into the target for focused fire.

Maybe the Kraken was a joke as an encounter. It couldn't be slid or knocked prone or one attack blinds the entire Kraken, at least at our table. It should have been a single creature, but at our table, it was run as 4 different creatures which couldn't be affected by many things.

Just like WotC "broke the rules" by doing teleport damage and dropping the resistance of fire potions in LA 1, they "broke the rules" by creating a creature that really wasn't a creature and for the most part, could only be damaged. Interestingly enough, our table never got a description of the head of the creature, so how exactly did the creature see us above it and on deck if we couldn't see it? For a well designed creature, it should have had to see the targets in order to distinguish friend from foe. The whole thing was not well thought out.

I consider it pretty lame if they have to create quasi-non-creatures in order to challenge experienced players.

As for the readied actions, WotC didn't tell DMs how to handle a pretty obvious situation, so all DMs will do it different. Your solution is no better than any other DM's solution. In fact, I consider your solution subpar because it's a DM entitled whiny solution.

DM: "Well, well, you can't just avoid the Kraken. He's there to hit multiple PCs every round. If you go down below, I'll, I'll, ..., I'll destroy the ship. That's what I'll do."

Your solution sounds like Trelane in Squire of Gothos.

Rules for attacking vehicles are listed in the Adventurer's Vault. The kraken is already on the scene, holding the boat in place. There is no deus ex machina. Unless PCs are willing to stick their necks out, there is only one poorly protected target.

Put the shoe on the other foot: If PCs played the sahuagin with a kraken to aid them, would you rule out attacks against the ship if her crew all ran below decks?

Now if the vessel could be sunk within a single round, that's a balance issue. Two or three, maybe more with the right tricks? That's plenty of time for people who can adapt to circumstances as befits heroes.

Still lame, no matter how you attempt to rationalize it.

The adventure was intended to challenge experienced players. That calls for DMs able to figure out the break check for sections of a ship's hull on their own, or how much damage it would take to sink a caravel.

If your answer here is so obvious, why didn't WotC put the break checks or damage numbers in for DMs so that they wouldn't have to try to look it up?

Maybe it's because WotC didn't think to kill the players outright like you did.

You didn't like the obvious answer. Besides, if it's so obvious, why would an experienced DM need it answered? I'm sure the play testers think we're smart enough to take initiative here.

Or, maybe you didn't think of the better answer and neither did WotC. Maybe your answer sucks, but you are unwilling to see that.

I think your answer sucks. It's death without dice rolls.

In reality, I think the module's "fall in the water and die" rule is lame as well. It's save or die. After telling us for years how awful save or die is, WotC has to resort to it to challenge the players.

snort

I also consider the concept of Intimidating the BBEG into submission to be so stupid that it's nonsensical.

Last edited:

talok55

First Post
I think they dropped the ball on the second lair assault. We beat it easily with little knowledge of what to expect. We may have been a bit lucky in picking the right strategies, but I still think it was too easy. The first one was hard. It TPK'd us twice before we beat after designing a party that could deal specifically with the challenges of the assault while also being able to do a ton of auto damage. The 2nd one was lame.

Last edited:

Zuche

First Post
As far as I am concerned, if players figure out a way to prevent an enemy from attacking them, they shouldn't be punished for it.

If a party's method of avoiding attacks leaves their ship inadequately protected, they should face the consequences of their actions. This isn't day care. You're old enough to be aware of what happens to ships caught in the tentacles of a sea monster.

In movies, what keeps that sort of thing from happening? Characters engage the sea monster. If they don't, it's nearly always all hands lost at sea. Now either you play action hero, or you live with the consequences.

DM: "Crap. You found the weakness in the module. Well, I can fix that. You're dead."

Please stop attacking the straw man; my argument is over here.

If you posted one or two players below decks, or running back and forth across the hold to fight, great! If they keep switching off with people above the deck, even better. That's a fine use of the terrain, that is. On the other hand, if you try to do this with your entire crew, the ship becomes the obvious target for the kraken.

If one round of hearing the sea monster (and possibly the sahuagin) tear into your ship doesn't clue your party into the danger they're facing, and they do nothing to counter this in the next round, congratulate them on a well-earned TPK.

This only works for 3.5 and earlier. It's an old signature that I just like to keep around. It doesn't work for 4E, so maybe it doesn't make sense in your 4E argument.

No? As a 3.5 argument, the readied action severely limited the options open to the one preparing it, while leaving the other party free to take other actions. Turning an enemy's blast into a single target attack with a 50% chance of not even having that target (assuming tentacles guarding both sets of stairs) sounds exactly like what you described for 3.5.

Maybe the Kraken was a joke as an encounter. It couldn't be slid or knocked prone or one attack blinds the entire Kraken, at least at our table. It should have been a single creature, but at our table, it was run as 4 different creatures which couldn't be affected by many things.

It's a bit like one of Dark Sun's silt horrors, only without a theoretically endless supply of minion tentacles. Playing those tentacles as monsters in an encounter that don't feature the silt horror itself has been on the book two and a half years now. It's nothing new. Both Star Wars and Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea featured this sort of fight.

Just like WotC "broke the rules" by doing teleport damage and dropping the resistance of fire potions in LA 1, they "broke the rules" by creating a creature that really wasn't a creature and for the most part, could only be damaged.

I've already addressed the precedent for tentacles as separate monsters. Your claim that they could only be damaged is incorrect. You couldn't pull them onto the ship, and you couldn't blind them. That's it as far as limitations go.

As for "breaking the rules" in LA1, good! Where a primordial is concerned, the rules should break down. Both of the changes you described were consistent with what I'd expect from dealing with something like that, something that should have the player characters wetting their pants in terror. Something that can warp space between planes like that sounds just right. As for the reduction in fire immunity, you can already build something similar into PCs.

The designers could have accomplished the same result by having a random PC spontaneously combust every few rounds. That would also have been consistent with the terms of the scenario. Unfair, sure, but it's good to show some perspective about these things.

Interestingly enough, our table never got a description of the head of the creature, so how exactly did the creature see us above it and on deck if we couldn't see it?

You've read the mechanics for blindsight, a feature I'd expect to find in a creature from the depths of the ocean. The ability has always allowed its possessors to distinguish between enemies and allies.

As for the readied actions, WotC didn't tell DMs how to handle a pretty obvious situation, so all DMs will do it different.

Maybe so. We're not machines, and neither game designers nor players should expect us to act as such.

Your solution is no better than any other DM's solution. In fact, I consider your solution subpar because it's a DM entitled whiny solution.

I'm not here to hold players' hands. I'm here to challenge them.

Falling into the water was instant death, but the possibility of losing your ship in two to three rounds because you stubbornly clung to a single tactic is unfair? It's hard to take that argument seriously.

If your answer here is so obvious, why didn't WotC put the break checks or damage numbers in for DMs so that they wouldn't have to try to look it up?

Because an experienced DM, after reviewing the adventure, would either have looked them up or already had them memorized. There's a reason that getting the DM to consult the rulebooks was listed as a glory award this time.

This low standard you have for DMs makes me suspect the one you set for strong players.

Maybe it's because WotC didn't think to kill the players outright like you did.

Again, falling in the water was instant death. It's even written on your glory awards card.

Maybe your answer sucks, but you are unwilling to see that.

Not at all. Thirty years of experience with players tells me they'd try the exact same thing if they were the sahuagin. I notice you didn't address that point.

I'm perfectly willing to see that cowering in the hold was not the only method of holding your own on deck. I have agreed that access to the hold was a useful resource.

I have pointed out the flaw in your strategy when applied to the point of putting all your eggs in one basket, and you've all but called me a petty cheater for using the resources available. Why should I be impressed?

I think your answer sucks. It's death without dice rolls.

Oh, no. I'll happily roll the attacks and damage against the ship out in the open, just as I've done for attacks against the players. On average, it's enough to last two to three rounds. If I happen to roll nothing but ones on the first round of attacks, so be it.

In reality, I think the module's "fall in the water and die" rule is lame as well. It's save or die. After telling us for years how awful save or die is, WotC has to resort to it to challenge the players.

And in a campaign, they're right. In a campaign, I'd gladly settle for poking holes in the ship and having the sahuagin focus more on trying to find the Talon than on trying to kill those holding onto it. In a campaign, falling into the water would not mean instant death. In a campaign, I'd be happy to make a lot of changes, especially for players willing to take real chances, regardless of the odds.

At a Lair Assault table, however, I'm more than happy with save or die. I know players who continue to strive for that sort of thing against their opponents, so a little turnabout is a good thing. It's not that hard to avoid forced movement.

When characters in a movie or book fight a sea monster, those that get knocked into the water die. That's part of the fun of seeing a sea monster on the screen. I want to see that played for all it's worth in a one shot, because that's what a perilous adventure is all about.

I also consider the concept of Intimidating the BBEG into submission to be so stupid that it's nonsensical.

This also shows a remarkable lack of vision.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
It's a bit like one of Dark Sun's silt horrors, only without a theoretically endless supply of minion tentacles. Playing those tentacles as monsters in an encounter that don't feature the silt horror itself has been on the book two and a half years now. It's nothing new. Both Star Wars and Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea featured this sort of fight.

I've already addressed the precedent for tentacles as separate monsters. Your claim that they could only be damaged is incorrect. You couldn't pull them onto the ship, and you couldn't blind them. That's it as far as limitations go.

The precedent is a monster with hit points, AC, etc. that can be attacked, stunned, conditioned, and the tentacles are minions. The new mechanic is a monster without hit points, AC, etc., cannot be attacked directly, autokills any PC that tries, and the tentacles are full blown monsters of their own. Also, the Slit Horror has only been in 4E for a little over a year (just to be precise about it).

There's a difference between a theme precedence (which you are quoting) and a mechanics precedence (which you are not).

Like I said, "at our table". I wanted to slide the tentacles and the DM said "don't bother" or something to that effect. I didn't know whether they could not be slid, or whether it was because they could move wherever they wanted. All I know is that attempting to take out tentacles without simple boring hack and slash did not appear to be an option.

Hardly what I'd call an exciting feature to the encounter.

You've read the mechanics for blindsight, a feature I'd expect to find in a creature from the depths of the ocean. The ability has always allowed its possessors to distinguish between enemies and allies.

I think the ability you are looking for is Tremorsense. Blindsight requires perception checks and is stopped by things like blocking terrain. Blindsight does not give line of sight where it would normally be stopped. And if a perception check is failed with Blindsight, its impossible to distinguish friend from foe.

Tremorsense does give the required abilities.

As for "breaking the rules" in LA1, good! Where a primordial is concerned, the rules should break down. Both of the changes you described were consistent with what I'd expect from dealing with something like that, something that should have the player characters wetting their pants in terror.

Ha.

For both LA1 and LA2, our players didn't break much of a sweat. In LA2, one PC died in round one, but that's just because the DM immediately threw 5 attacks at the party Leader cause he knew that the Leader with resist 5 all attacks and heal 20 per round was going to crash his party. Another PC died due to the save or die, but again, WotC had to break a rule that they told everyone was one a terrible rule to break to kill that second PC. zzzzz

Wetting our pants?

Please. WotC doesn't know how to write a module that does that.

People don't care about losing PCs rolled up for a one shot event like this. There is no terror or nail biting here.

That comes from a player desire to see his PC live and that comes from playing the PC for a while and having that concept of missing the PC if the PC dies. That doesn't come from a bunch of surprise changing of the rules because WotC cannot figure out how to challenge players without doing that.

3.5 and earlier had built in mechanics to make players sweat. Energy Drain. Stat lowering. Ways to take things away from the PCs that were hard to get back. That's what results in nail biting.

A good earlier adventure to make players sweat was to have burrow mounds with undead with level draining. Players were super cautious and concerned in those situations.

4E doesn't have that anymore. It's a game designed with so MANY safety nets that it's hard to take stuff away from PCs. Your Strength cannot be lowered. You cannot lose your level. The only thing that can happen is that you die and even then, there are rituals to bring you back and now, even class abilities to bring you back after an extended rest.

There is no terror in 4E. The designers went out of their to remove it all and make the game vanilla where players are entitled to have their PCs survive. When you do that, you make it extremely difficult to introduce terror into a killer dungeon setting. They have to go back to save and die, and other things and even then, it's pretty lame.

This also shows a remarkable lack of vision.

No. It shows that not everyone is a zombie who loves any stupid scenario idea that WotC shovels at them.

Maybe you should try thinking outside the box and understanding the difference between good module design and inferior module design.

The LA modules so far have been mediocre at best. When a module has to hamper class abilities in order to challenge PCs, it shows a "remarkable lack of vision".

Remove ads