D&D 5E How do I 5e?

Trogdor1992

First Post
I'm new to pbp games and I have only played 3.5/pathfinder at all. I've noticed most games here are for 5e and I'm itching to play so I'm eager to learn. What are the main differences between 5e and what I'm used to? Someone please help me in my conversion.

HEEGZ

First Post
You can check it out for yourself for free:

https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules

Essentially it is simpler to play than 3.5 and pathfinder, but still robust and fun to play. There is a starter set you can pick up for cheap on amazon.com for like $12 which I highly recommend. But, have a look at the two sets of basic rules in that link and see for yourself.

Trogdor1992

First Post
I unfortunately am on a mobile device that doesn't read pdfs, im just looking for a short simple explanation of the key differences

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
I unfortunately am on a mobile device that doesn't read pdfs, im just looking for a short simple explanation of the key differences
A simple explanation of the key differences?

Basically everything is different in some way, from the core mechanical assumptions of the game upward - and yet basically everything is pretty similar. It really does take a read-through of the basic rules to list the differences, since they are so many and so subtle in some places.

Here is a web version of the player's basic rules: https://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop/players-basic-rules0
Edit to add: and the DM's basic rules that I hadn't even realized made it to the web version yet: https://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop/dm-basic-rules
Perhaps that can be explored with whatever mobile device you have?

The major differences are classes/races. The rules are fairtly simmilar. The big differences are fewer bonuses and less stacking of bonuses and spells. But the play is simmilar.

PnPgamer

Explorer
how_do_i_shot_web__vector_by_misteralex-d5n6vlu.png

Baumi

Adventurer
It's basically 3E but extremely streamlined (the Starter Set and the PDF have more or less the complete Rules!).

Here a few key changes:
* Bounded accuracy: Your bonuses (attack, stats,..), except HP and Damage increase very slowly. So you can use a far bigger Range of Monsters vs. your Heroes. Even basic Goblins and Orcs can be very dangerous on high level if you send enough of them and even the mightiest of Dragons can be chased away by a small army of peasants. Also magic Items are not assumed, many of them don't even have a modifier (not even most Weapons/Armor) and if there is a modifier, then it is not as high as before (+3 Sword would be an extremely rare weapon).

* Advantage/Disadvantage: Instead of Modifiers you roll 2D20 and keep the higher or lower if the the situation favors or hinders you. A simple but extremely effective change, that makes everything easier and faster for the GM and the Players.

* Concentration: Powerful Spells that have a longer Duration now often need Concentration. You cannot cast two spells with Concentration at the same time! This stops Buff's from becoming too important and Spellusers from becoming too powerful.

* Sub-Classes: Every Class gets several Subclasses to choose from at level 1 to 3 (depending on Class). This helps to make characters with the same class quite different.

* Backgrounds: There is a new layer in the character generation called "Background" which give you 2 Skills and a few other things. This is great for breaking out from the stereotype. You can play a Fighter who was a Soldier or he might been an Entertainer a Sailer, etc. You want a Ranger without Spells? Just take Barbarian or Fighter and take the Outlander Background...

* Feats are optional: Every few levels you get to choose either +2 Attribute Points (max 20) or a Feat. If you don't like feats, then just take Attributes. Feats also much bigger and stronger now, they essentially include a whole 3E Feat-Tree in one Feat. But +2 Attributepoints is very powerful so it is actually quite balanced (there are a few exceptions).

* flexible but weaker Spellcasters: Spells now use Slots, so you don't lose them when you cast a spell, you only use up one of your Spellslots/day and most Castes also have Cantrips that can be cast at will (this includes Utility Spells and weak Attacks). This makes Spellcasters more flexible (and fun) but the Spells itself are weaker and the strongest ones need Concetration, so they are fare more balanced than 1E-3E.

There are of course a great deal of other changes like the individual spells and stuff, but essentially it is still very much DnD 6 Attributes, HP, Damage Dice, +x Weapons,...) and it plays easier than ever. :)

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
Also:

* Proficiency Bonus: Ability Checks, Saving Throws, Attacks, and skills are all calculated the same way now: Ability Score + proficiency bonus (if you're proficient in it). There are very few other modifiers in the game.

Remove ads