• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do I deal with a cheating player?

Nyaricus

First Post
Download this Dungeons Masters Sheet to reference every players Character Sheet. It's really helpful and I personally use it in all my D&D games. If they roll say they got a 29 but only have a +2 mod and a d20, I'll know somethings up.

Link

Chimera

First Post
First session of my new game last week. First time GMing in 4.5 years.

First thing I did was to copy all relevant PC information and stats onto 3x5 cards so that I would know what they had, what they could do, what their rolls were, etc.

For the most part, this is for when they're not present (so I don't have to have their character "mysteriously" absent for that part of the game) or for making rolls for them when called for - such as a Spot roll that I don't necessarily want them to know about, etc.

You know, we need a simple FAQ. The Question here is "How do I deal with a cheating player?"

The simple answer is;

1> Have a copy of their character sheet.
2> Everyone rolls easily readable dice in the open.
3> When in doubt about how a result was achieved, ask.

Secondary answers:

1> If it's not that big of a deal to you or the other players, ignore it.
2> If it IS a big deal, then speak directly to the player. Don't do it by e-mail, don't do it in front of other people. Be firm and honest, without rankor.
3> If all else fails and the player refuses to stop cheating, you may have to consider not playing with them anymore. If they are a friend, this may end that relationship. Some people might not want to confront a friend for fear of losing said relationship, while others may not wish to continue a relationship with someone whose Integrity is subject to debate.

Harmon

First Post
ThoughtBubble said:
So, I take it that I'm the only one who'd start with "Over the last few sessions it's seemed to me that you're tending to roll a little too well. Could you do me a favor and double check the numbers you're coming up with for accuracy? We can go over your sheet some time if it'd help."

Nah, actually I was thinking like that too, but the idea of saying that at the session seems a little to confrontational for Box as he wants a certain end result. You are correct, it is a good appprouch and a good way to go about it.

FWIW- our group has a person that has a couple of characters with +4 Intitive and she always seems to roll in the high teens or twenties. She generally rolls two dice or multiple dice for her rolls, though she is consistent with her dice usage we tend not to worry about her cheating as she rolls so bad most of the time anyways.

While I have a character that rolls single digit Initive- I kid you not, I roll for Brottor and this d20 hits a 1 to 9 more times then not, its funny. :)

ShadowRaven

First Post
What Chimera mentioned about haveing the basic information on small cards is something that our DM has tried a couple of times. Playing at a large table the way we do, he would set them out in order of inititive (with cards with basic monster data on) that way he had all the info he needed to know right there. Such as hitpoints, attack bonuses, weapon damage. He also made us each fill out the card for our character. It seemed to make combat easier for him, and it gave him the numbers right there to know if one of us (me generally :eek: ) was doing faulty math. Should work well against cheaters too.

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
How do you deal with a cheating player?

Take him out back and put 2 .22 caliber slugs in the back of his head at close range.
Make sure your other players see this as well. Don't spare the cheater even if he loses control of his bowels and begs for mercy.

For good measure shoot his dog too. You dont want that mutt going off to train at shaolin Temple and coming back for two pawed vengence years from now.

godawful

First Post
boxstop7 said:
Anyway, I know this topic has likely been done to death, so if you would be so kind as to either chime in or direct me to past threads on the topic, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

- Jason

Post: One final note: this needs to be dealt with in a tactful manner. I have both a strong social and professional relationship with this guy...I don't want bad feelings to come...

first off, as a DM, trust none of those squirmy little wastes of life called 'players'
constantly check their sheet. even the nicest little dm butt-kissers screw up. and OOPSIE it always seems to be in their favor. grab his sheet. take 2 minutes to see how messed up it is and recalculate everything. you probably know ten times more than they do about their own characters anyway. do this every 2 or 3 times they level. because they are out to cheat and lie and whine and you shouldn't put up with any of it. kill his character and make it so that the only available rezzer is a druid and make him come back as a goblin. then kill him again. if he thinks it is unfair, kill everyone's characters. it's a game. if someone is especially attached to their character, kill it first. if you think being harsh is inappropriate, think again. i have 10 or twelve players begging to game with me cuz they have all tried those sissified versions of d&d with other DMs.

and if you have a 'strong social and professional relationship' with this guy, that's an even better reason to turn him into a smudge.

DM like you are Kyzer Soze, not Oprah.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
ShinHakkaider said:
How do you deal with a cheating player?

I don't see any smileys there, and I'm missing the signs that you think you are making an 'ironic' or 'humourous' statement...

So you're not being helpful, nor are you being funny. I'd suggest rethinking your posting strategy in this thread.

godawful said:
first off, as a DM, trust none of those squirmy little wastes of life called 'players'

Similarly, you are basically threadcrapping here. Take it elsewhere please.

If you don't understand what the problem is, do email me using the link below.

Thanks

TheAuldGrump

First Post
You may want to start using a dice tower. Basically a wooden, plaster, or cardstock tower that you drop dice into the top of, they rattle their way to the bottom, and come out into a tray at the bottom.

The first one I saw was on this site using the Hirst Molds, since then I have made some from cardstock for friends (I don't use them myself, since I walk to the game with my gaming stuff in my back pack), and have seen some made out of Lego Blocks (the world's best toy!). But Becker's remains the most impressive that I have seen. :) And the dice hit the bells making a pleasant tinkling noise!

World Works Games makes a rather simpler one for printing out, cutting out, and putting together.The ones I made from cardstock use pieces of another World Works building, form Castle Works Classic. The animation that is used to advertise it is... campy. :p

The main point is that it gives an excuse to have the players roll in a single, easily visible, location. And since you have all the players doing it then the cheater cannot complain.

The Auld Grump, and yes, do get him to go over his 'math' when you distrust his numbers.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
EDITED because my post was obviated while I was writing it. But, if some would like a more rough-and-tumble posting style, Circus Maximus and/or Nothingland/Nutkinland might be the venues to check out.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads