• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E How do I make skeletons?

Puxido

First Post
Hello, I'm dming a group of friends and I wanted to know about how to make skeletons. Is there an easy way to change their AC and hit dice by giving them armor and weapons? I wanted to make each one different in that regard. Can I make a skeleton too powerful? Can they use intimidate combat maneuver?

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Ideally you use a monster template to alter any existing monster - all standard templates exist in the back of the bestiaries. For example, if you want a slightly weaker version of an existing monster, you add the "young template" which lowers its HD, saves, etc. Many templates add something to an existing monster and in some cases you can include more than one template. Rite Publishing offers 101 Not So Simple Monster Templates and 101 Variant Monsters, the former includes 101 new monster templates, while the second is simply switching abilities from other monsters - both good ways to tweak your existing monsters.

Puxido

First Post
Ideally you use a monster template to alter any existing monster - all standard templates exist in the back of the bestiaries. For example, if you want a slightly weaker version of an existing monster, you add the "young template" which lowers its HD, saves, etc. Many templates add something to an existing monster and in some cases you can include more than one template. Rite Publishing offers 101 Not So Simple Monster Templates and 101 Variant Monsters, the former includes 101 new monster templates, while the second is simply switching abilities from other monsters - both good ways to tweak your existing monsters.

What about switching their weapons and armor around? Is that reasonable?

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
What about switching their weapons and armor around? Is that reasonable?

Skeletons aren't alive nor sentient, so its not like giving an orc better weapons and armor. A skeleton is a skeleton, and its stats listed in the Bestiary is how they are in combat, no matter how they are equipped. If you want options in skeleton design, you either need to give it a template, pick other skeleton like monsters or make it a variant monster. I'm not saying you can't adjust AC with better armor, but the skeleton is hardly different.

Skeleton is actually a template unto itself. If you want tougher skeletons, you make it a skeleton of a tougher creature when it was alive. A Skeleton of an ogre would be tougher than one of a human. I don't think non-sentient undead, can intimidate anyone. A vampire could use intimidate, a skeleton, not so much.

Last edited:

el_stiko

Explorer
I don't think it's that simple.

I_DO.jpg

Last edited:

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Skeletons aren't alive nor sentient, so its not like giving an orc better weapons and armor. A skeleton is a skeleton, and its stats listed in the Bestiary is how they are in combat, no matter how they are equipped. If you want options in skeleton design, you either need to give it a template, pick other skeleton like monsters or make it a variant monster. I'm not saying you can't adjust AC with better armor, but the skeleton is hardly different.

Skeleton is actually a template unto itself. If you want tougher skeletons, you make it a skeleton of a tougher creature when it was alive. A Skeleton of an ogre would be tougher than one of a human. I don't think non-sentient undead, can intimidate anyone. A vampire could use intimidate, a skeleton, not so much.

While I agree that you can make tougher skeletons by applying the template to tougher creatures and that skeletons (and other mindless creatures), I disagree about the weapons and armor. Typical skeletons as listed in the Bestiary/PRD have broken chain and a broken scimitar, but there's no reason you can't swap those out for unbroken armor and weapons or armor and weapons of other types. Just remember to adjust the stats. And remember that skeletons would only be proficient with simple weapons and light armor.

Regarding Intimidate, skeletons are mindless and can't have skill points in it, but they could use the skill untrained. They won't be amazing at it with Cha 10, but I don't see why they can't use it. It would have to be instinctive, though, as they're incapable of strategy.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Well, I even stated better armor might mean better AC. Really the difference in using untrained skills and better equipment is almost negligible, but there is a difference to a book standard skeleton, just barely different though. If you want skeletal variety, adding another template does a lot more.

Remove ads