• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do I move 4 islands set on turtle shells?

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
There's a spell in Spell Compendium that does something like that - there's even a full-page picture of a tower being moved along by a huge wave. I can't remember the name though...

Pell-Mell

First Post
At the heart of each of the great turtle shells is a permanent gate to the elemental plane of fire. Sea water is constantly pumped near the gate, resulting in a huge amount of steam. The stream turns massive propellers or paddlewheels, providing a degree of locomotion to the city. The city is controlled from the central tower, which issues commands through tubes to the engine rooms below. In addition, some of the stream is channeled through to the city above, where it powers all manner of gnomish apparatuses.

SoulsFury

Explorer
Geesh, post like this remind why I have mainly been a lurker for 6 years. Its gives me a headache reading all the uber-intelligent post by some of you guys I can barely comprehend (or want to)...HAHA :)

I love the info this board presents and the in-depthness I receive in what I'm asking. I'm probably gonna go with the water elemental thought though. I don't really want gnomes to be mechanical like in so many other worlds, I just want them to be innovative. Kinda like a mix between alot of different cultures. A good mix of traveling merchants, wizards of high standards, solid dwarven defenders, etc... if that makes sense. Something that gives them flavor but without making them a common race to encounter.

shilsen

Adventurer
Olgar Shiverstone said:
The turtles ride on the backs of elephants. The elephants? Well, it's elephants all the way down ...
You beat me to it. Damn you, Olgar Shiverstone, damn you to heck!

Mishihari Lord

First Post
The turtle shells are still inhabited by living turtles. Each of the four faces a different direction. When they want to go somewhere they put a big 'ol carrot on a stick in front of the one pointed closest to the right direction.

DM-Rocco

Explorer
SoulsFury said:
Having undead would mean there is probably an evil cleric powerful enough to do such a thing, and I don't see the gnomes being that way.
I do like the idea of the Elemental Water Monolith though, the backstory could be a powerful gnome wizard is at the helm of the center tower and used an orb to control the elemental to take the city wherever.
I don't think undead means evil.

Yes, undead usually is associated with evil, but look at the Fire Sea, the third book in the Death Gate Cycle. In that book they use undead as servants and that act of creating undead is no different than organ donation in our world.

Then you can really cool epic adventures as a 100th level necromancer gains control of the turtles in hope to one day rule the world!!! :] :] :]

If you are really againt undead, you can have lots of water elementals move it or a special prestiege class that has the ability to effect the moons push and pull of the seas or you can have a bender like class from Avatar the Last Airbender and a group of them could move it in a ritual.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads