• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do intelligent weapons know?

Astaroth

First Post
My question is, how does an intelligent sword know the alignment of who/what is trying to wield it?

In my current campaign, my PC’s have found a neutral evil intelligent sword (empathic) that hates elves (elfbane). The PC’s are all good, and are currently fighting drow. Though originally intended to be used against surface elves, it will work against the drow. Would it be possible for one of them to cast misdirection on themselves, with the target being the sword. Could a PC then wield it without receiving any negative levels?

Thanks for your help

pontus

First Post
An intelligent weapon doesn't need to know your alignment any more than an unholy blight spell does. Direct exposure will mess you up. In fact, the weapon couldn't let a creature with an opposing alignment use it if it wanted to.

Crothian

First Post
I have it learns from the person who's welding it, through there action. The sword also communicates and wants to do as its own alingment instructs. If the Pcs do differenly, then the sword knows something's up. With a good amount of role playing, I have had PCs fool intelligenct weapons.

Unless, it's of the type that a certain other alignment or somesuch recieves negative levels by touch. Then it's part of the magic of the sword.

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Well... it's not really the Sword deciding to grant the negative levels. It's not an effect it can choose to apply or not. The sword has an aura of evilness about it that weakens any non-evil character picking it up.

Like a weapon with the Unholy enhancement. A goodie picks it up, he acquires negative levels simply through the interaction of auras, or whatever.

-Hyp.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
What else would you do with a broken blade? Seems pretty easy to me. :D

I'd tend to go with the 2nd level Cleric spell, Make Whole (as distinct from the 1st level Barbarian spell, Make Hole)... :)

Of course, either way, the magic's gone...

-Hyp.

How strictly...

How strict is a weapon's alignment? For instance, if a NG wizard makes an intelligent sword, will a LG character have a real hard time using it?

Sword: "Sneak up on him and kill him. You'll save thousands of lives!"

Paladin: "Um, no. Why did I pick you up anyway? You over there! Die for your crimes! CHARGE!"

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Re: How strictly...

How strict is a weapon's alignment? For instance, if a NG wizard makes an intelligent sword, will a LG character have a real hard time using it?

Do you mean as far as the negative levels go?

Extreme alignments or true neutral - very strict. If you're the wrong alignment, it bites you.

The moderate alignments (NG, CN, NE, LN) will accept anyone who corresponds to their "side" of the alignment "square". So a NG sword is fine with a LG, NG, or CG wielder.

-Hyp.

Remove ads