• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do Iron Armbands work?

Skallgrim

First Post
I thought that I understood how Iron Armbands of Power work. They (I thought) added damage to Melee Damage Rolls. This meant that they didn't add damage to fixed damage effects (like the secondary target of Cleave) and that they didn't add damage to Close Burst attacks which used a weapon.

The initial Character Builder seemed to follow this, as it didn't add damage to the Sweeping Blow power (a close burst), although it screwed up and didn't add my Weapon Focus damage, or my Enhancement bonus either. However, when I picked up the next Close Burst power, it DID add Iron Armband damage (as well as WF and Enhancement).

Then they updated Character Builder. Now ALL of the fighter exploits which do Close Burst attacks with a weapon add the bonus from Iron Armbands. Thus, this was corrected to add damage.

Am I misunderstanding Iron Armbands?

Did the update un-correct the ONE use of Close Burst which was correct?

Was there an update on the Iron Armbands I missed?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for them to work this way (and so would my Dragonborn Fullblade Fighter who wants to learn all of the Burst attacks).

I don't expect Character Builder to always be correct. I know that mistakes can happen, but to "correct" things to make them wrong seems totally insane. Plus, on top of this, I have yet to be able to use the "report a bug" feature sucessfullly. I ALWAYS get "An Error has Occurred". Has ANYONE been able to report bugs using the actual bug reporting feature? And, on that topic, has ANYONE, ever, been able to emal customer service using that feature? And furthermor, has anyone been able to log onto the D&D forums at WOTC in the last 48 hours? Maybe my computer is slowly crashing?

Shadowsmith

Explorer
Well, I didn't have trouble logging in yesterday or just now.

Regarding the Iron Armbands, as far as I know they add to the damage roll of any power with the Weapon keyword. So they should be adding to the Close Burst powers but not to fixed damage targets such as Cleave or Reaping Blow.

Edit: Blast it! Now I reread the description of the iron armbands and it could mean that they don't apply to Close Burst powers. Oh well, I'm the DM so in my games they apply to Close Burst powers.

Digression: What I dislike is the concept that Weapon Focus (Heavy Blades) applies to a Swordmage's Implement powers. That ruling would make Weapon Focus (Staff) very useful for a Wizard.

Last edited:

Eldorian

First Post
Well, I didn't have trouble logging in yesterday or just now.

Regarding the Iron Armbands, as far as I know they add to the damage roll of any power with the Weapon keyword. So they should be adding to the Close Burst powers but not to fixed damage targets such as Cleave or Reaping Blow.

Edit: Blast it! Now I reread the description of the iron armbands and it could mean that they don't apply to Close Burst powers. Oh well, I'm the DM so in my games they apply to Close Burst powers.

Digression: What I dislike is the concept that Weapon Focus (Heavy Blades) applies to a Swordmage's Implement powers. That ruling would make Weapon Focus (Staff) very useful for a Wizard.

Seems players handbook 2 has implement focus which does the same thing as weapon focus, but for wands or whatever. So no worries. May as well implement (heh) these changes now.

Mengu

First Post
Seems players handbook 2 has implement focus which does the same thing as weapon focus, but for wands or whatever. So no worries. May as well implement (heh) these changes now.

Where is this information from? I know about weapon and implement expertise (which are bad enough), but implement focus would step on some serious toes for all the elemental damage feats from PHB.

Prism

Explorer
In addition the bonus does not apply to immediate actions on one of my characters even though they are melee attacks. I think its safe to say the character builder is a bit confused about armbands of power - i'd ignore it

chitzk0i

Explorer
Do not trust the character builder! There are a number of bonuses (especially situational ones) that the character builder does not count properly. Always check the texts of your powers, feats, and items and calculate your bonuses yourself.

Bolongo

Herr Doktor
Where is this information from? I know about weapon and implement expertise (which are bad enough), but implement focus would step on some serious toes for all the elemental damage feats from PHB.
I'd say he's probably got expertise and focus confused.

Having said that, in my game I've houseruled in an Implement Focus feat.
What about the elemental damage ones? No great loss, since they're probably the worst designed feats in the game right now. Should any player in my game actually bother to get the stats for one, I'd change their bonus to untyped so it would stack. Seriously, if you invest in suboptimal ability scores just to get a crappy feat, you deserve a cookie.

Eldorian

First Post
I'd say he's probably got expertise and focus confused.

Yeah, probably.

Having said that, in my game I've houseruled in an Implement Focus feat.
What about the elemental damage ones? No great loss, since they're probably the worst designed feats in the game right now. Should any player in my game actually bother to get the stats for one, I'd change their bonus to untyped so it would stack. Seriously, if you invest in suboptimal ability scores just to get a crappy feat, you deserve a cookie.

I still believe that Implement Focus will be in PHB 2, considering the official ruling is that light blade weapon focus, Staff weapon focus, and such all work for classes that use implements that are also weapons. And I agree, the damage type feats are some of the worst feats in the game.

Fluxx

First Post
hello,

I have another question about the Iron armbands. Do you really think Lvl 6 is appropiate for them. When I compare tem to the Bracers of Mighty Striking I'm in doubt.
The Bracers give the bonus to each melee basic attack (mba). The armband to each melee attack (ma). But unless you are an extrem charger-build or you have a Warlord who regularly gives you an mba you will do much more ma than mba. I would guess the average char has about twice as much ma as mba. Plus the fact that the bracers will make you think At-Will with nice effect or mba with more damage - the armbands justfunction whatever you do (little boring).
As first guess I would say the Iron Armbands are about Lvl 10 - 12 somewhere (at Lvl 12 the BoMS give double the bonus to mba as the IAoP give at Lvl 6 to all ma).

What do you say? Is there s.th. I don't see? Or are IAoP highly overpowered for Lvl 6?

Greetings

Fluxx

Mengu

First Post
I have another question about the Iron armbands. Do you really think Lvl 6 is appropiate for them.

No. No level is appropriate for them. +2 damage on melee weapon attacks? Or its friend that gives +2 damage on all range weapon attacks? For any build geared for high damage, there is no reason to look for any other arm slot item. I took a black marker to these two items.

They are also an extremely boring item that adds no interest or tactics to a character. They can do more damage all day every day. Pretty unfortunate design if you ask me.

Remove ads