• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How Do Metamagic Rods Work For Preparation Spellcasters?

When Does a Preparation Spellcaster Need To Use a Metamagic Rod?

• When casting the spell.

Votes: 72 75.0%
  • When preparing the spell.

Votes: 22 22.9%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 2 2.1%

takasi

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Remember, there are two restrictions.

1. You can use the feat a specified number of times per day. (And when wizards etc use a metamagic feat, they do it at preparation time.)

2. The wielder can cast up to three spells per day that are [Metamagic]ed.

So if he prepares 3 spells each day for a month using the Enlarge feat from the rod, say, it doesn't change that he can only cast three per day that are Enlarged.

-Hyp.

Then is this possible, and if not why not?

A high level wizard acquires a greater maximize metamagic rod. He spends a month preparing all of his spells as maximized spells.

The wizard loses the rod for 10 years. He never casts any of the spells he prepared. If he recovered the rod could he still cast the maximized spells?

Also, if the wizard finds a few dozen of these rods, could he use them to cast all of the prepared maximized spells he's been saving up all these years on the same day he finds the rods?

delericho

Legend
IMC, metamagic rods allow a caster to apply the feat to a suitable spell spontaneously at casting with no increase in the casting time.

However, per the RAW, it would appear that the rod merely lets the caster use the feat 3 times per day as though he had the feat normally. For Wizards, this means the 3 spells have to be chosen when the spells are prepared. For a Sorcerer, the feat is applied on the fly, but increases the casting time.

In either case, I disagree with the FAQ.

wildstarsreach

First Post
delericho said:
IMC, metamagic rods allow a caster to apply the feat to a suitable spell spontaneously at casting with no increase in the casting time.

However, per the RAW, it would appear that the rod merely lets the caster use the feat 3 times per day as though he had the feat normally. For Wizards, this means the 3 spells have to be chosen when the spells are prepared. For a Sorcerer, the feat is applied on the fly, but increases the casting time.

In either case, I disagree with the FAQ.

Why?

wildstarsreach

First Post
Thanee said:
Well, that's not true. I have a problem with anything bypassing rules without saying so. ;)

And I actually do have a problem with the higher spell level slot, despite the description clearly saying how it works, and have said on other occasions, that I would prefer them to be usable only on spell levels, so that the modified spell level, using the modifier from the regular metamagic feat, does not exceed the highest level one can cast (i.e. like the Incantatrix Instant Metamagic works).

It is absolutely not odd, because that is what most consider the easiest (though I fail to see what's really easier there in practice), and it is also somewhat intuitive when you look at the rod's descriptions.

But that doesn't make it the best-working solution, and it still breaks rules, despite the non-spontaneous use for prepared casters.

It only requires a minor clarification, that you cannot use a rod to metamagic more than 3 spell slots at a time, which does not really limit them further, but only removes issues to deal with metamagicked slots, that cannot be used to cast anymore, once the 3/day uses are used up.

OTOH, the spontaneous use errata creates even more imbalances between spontaneous and prepared casters (as if pearls of power weren't enough), and makes the metamagic rods even more powerful, than they already are. Not the most sensitive ruling, if you ask me. :)

Bye
Thanee

This magic item isn't violating the rules. Reading the rod it states that use still provokes an attack of oppurtunity. This rod's special power is to be used at casting. A sorcerer doesn't have to spend a higher level spell slot but must still spend a full round to apply metamagic feats. If a cleric spontaneously casts a healing spell, he can apply the metamagic feat with extending to a full round. I would state that from the item description, it is at the time of casting and because of other precidents, even a wizard spell becomes a full round spell with the metamagic feat applied. This doesn't make the rod so rediculas. It doesn't give the rods so much power and they are worth what the DMG has for them. Applying them at the point of casting is the best of problems. Applying them at the point of memorization leads to the worst abuse IMO.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Who can? The wielder can!
What wielder?

a/ The wielder who prepared the spells.
b/ The current wielder of the rod.

I presume your answer is (b). Thus, if two wizards prepares spells with a rod (on different days), can they both cast those spells with the rod on the same day if they appropriately hand over the rod? I mean, the wielder is limited, but what happens when you change wielders?

Arg-ha Lardgoa

Half-Ogre King
Preparing spells

<srd>
Rest

To prepare her daily spells, a wizard must first sleep for 8 hours. The wizard does not have to slumber for every minute of the time, but she must refrain from movement, combat, spellcasting, skill use, conversation, or any other fairly demanding physical or mental task during the rest period. If her rest is interrupted, each interruption adds 1 hour to the total amount of time she has to rest in order to clear her mind, and she must have at least 1 hour of uninterrupted rest immediately prior to preparing her spells. If the character does not need to sleep for some reason, she still must have 8 hours of restful calm before preparing any spells.
Preparation Environment

To prepare any spell, a wizard must have enough peace, quiet, and comfort to allow for proper concentration. The wizard’s surroundings need not be luxurious, but they must be free from overt distractions. Exposure to inclement weather prevents the necessary concentration, as does any injury or failed saving throw the character might experience while studying.
</srd>
So therefore no casting/use of magic during preparation. Using a rod breaks concentration during prep!

wildstarsreach

First Post
If we are to assume that Thanee and others thinking at the point of memorization is right, then x wizard prepares a fireball with a maximize rod. Later he decides to scribe that spell to scroll. It is at the 3rd level for purposes of xp and monetary costs. But he gets a maximized scroll. This is abusive. At the time of casting is the only way to proceed.

wildstarsreach

First Post
Arg-ha Lardgoa said:
<srd>
Rest

To prepare her daily spells, a wizard must first sleep for 8 hours. The wizard does not have to slumber for every minute of the time, but she must refrain from movement, combat, spellcasting, skill use, conversation, or any other fairly demanding physical or mental task during the rest period. If her rest is interrupted, each interruption adds 1 hour to the total amount of time she has to rest in order to clear her mind, and she must have at least 1 hour of uninterrupted rest immediately prior to preparing her spells. If the character does not need to sleep for some reason, she still must have 8 hours of restful calm before preparing any spells.
Preparation Environment

To prepare any spell, a wizard must have enough peace, quiet, and comfort to allow for proper concentration. The wizard’s surroundings need not be luxurious, but they must be free from overt distractions. Exposure to inclement weather prevents the necessary concentration, as does any injury or failed saving throw the character might experience while studying.
</srd>
So therefore no casting/use of magic during preparation. Using a rod breaks concentration during prep!

Interesting conclusion but I would disagree with this. Once you have the rested, spell memorization would not be interrupted by use of the rod on specific spells.

Remove ads