• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do "odds" work in betting?

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
In tonight's adventure, my character bet 500gp at "three to one" odds and one. Which of the following is true:

1) He gets back his 500gp plus another 1500gp (total profit 1500 gp)

or

2) He gets back 1500gp (total profit 1000 gp)

I did a search on the web and the best I could find was "you get back three for every one you bet". But is the one I bet part of that three, or in addition to that three? :confused:

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
The_Dood said:
The PC gets back a total of 1500gp for a profit of 1000gp.

With bookkeepers (and most gambling) 3 to 1 means you win 1500 gp - and get the 500 gp bet in addition, so the bookkeeper gives you back 2000 gp.

Compare 1 to 3; where a bet of 1500 gp would win you 500 gp... giving you back 2000 gp in total.

Cheers!

MerricB said:
With bookkeepers (and most gambling) 3 to 1 means you win 1500 gp - and get the 500 gp bet in addition, so the bookkeeper gives you back 2000 gp.

Compare 1 to 3; where a bet of 1500 gp would win you 500 gp... giving you back 2000 gp in total.

Cheers!

I agree with Merric. 3 to 1 means that for every dollar you bet you get back 3 (plus you get your original dollar back). If you bet 500 gp you get 3 times that (1500 gp) plus your original money (500 gp) for a grand total of 2000 gp.

Olaf the Stout

Meds

First Post
I also agree with Merric. And so does Wikipedia:

"The bettor always receives his original stake back, so if the odds are 4/1 you would actually receive a total of £500 in return upon winning a £100 bet (£400 plus the original £100.)"

Jeff Wilder

First Post
You get your original bet back, plus (original bet times odds).

The easiest way to remember this is that with an even-money bet -- i.e., 1 to 1 odds, 50 percent probability, 1 in 2 chance (all different terms for expressing the same thing) -- you're going to double your money if you win.

If all you got back was your original bet times the odds, you'd be breaking even on a 50 percent proposition ... when you win. (And lemme tell you, that's a bad bet to be making.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads