• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do the movies stack up so far...

Balrog said:
Passion of the Christ: 10
LOTR: Return of the King: 8
Shrek 2: 9
Eternal Sunshine of the....: 8
Kill Bill Vol. 2: 8
Dawn of the Dead: 2
The Ladykillers: 4
Chronicles of Riddick: 6
Troy: 7
Van Helsing: 5
Hellboy: 6
Day After Tomorrow: 4

I would have rated LOTR a '10' also, but I feel too many crucial scenes that I think were filmed were left out of the theatre version, namely the confrontation with Saruman; Aragorn challenging Sauron in the Palantir; Gandalf confronting the Witch-King at the Gates of Minas Tirith; and the Mouth of Sauron; and I just felt the end dragged out too long with way too many horrible close-ups and slow-mo shots of Frodo's melancholy face. So that was 2 points off.
RotK was last year. :)

John Crichton

First Post
*sigh*

This has been a terrible year for me and going to the theater! Very depressing considering that I love going to the theater, even if the movie isn't very good. :(

I've only seen ONE movie so far this year: Hellboy. I'll probably be seeing all the above on DVD later this year. *sigh* I gotta get to the movies more often...

So, er, yeah -

Hellboy - 8

;)

Welverin

First Post
John Crichton said:
I've only seen ONE movie so far this year: Hellboy. I'll probably be seeing all the above on DVD later this year. *sigh* I gotta get to the movies more often...

At least it was easy to make your list.

Balrog

First Post
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
RotK was last year. :)
Define THIS year....

just because they got Awards for the year 2003 doesnt mean the movie was 'last year'. many people didnt get a chance to see it until after the new year. After the New Year would be this year, correct?

When did you see it?

John Crichton

First Post
Balrog said:
Define THIS year....
Typically, 'this year' means movies that are first released to the public in the theater on or after January first. So it is not subjective to when an individual has seen it. Easiest way to look at it, really. :)

Balrog

First Post
John Crichton said:
Typically, 'this year' means movies that are first released to the public in the theater on or after January first. So it is not subjective to when an individual has seen it. Easiest way to look at it, really. :)
I wish it were that simple, except there are times that a movie is released right before the New Year in major markets only, typically to get in just in time for Awards. "Monster's Ball" a couple of years ago was a good example. In Des Moines I dont think it came out until well into January.....

Having said all that, I suppose its irrelevant; as the real question was how do recent movies stack up to each other in our own opinions. I was using ROTK as a benchmark, whether it is this year or not can be debated elsewhere...... :)

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I perfer the season starting the beginning of December and ending there, thinks get so confused around the holidays. It is easy to lump a movie out in December as the New Year. :confused: But for this rating, I went with released in 2004, sorry about that. ;)

Last edited:

Balrog said:
I wish it were that simple, except there are times that a movie is released right before the New Year in major markets only, typically to get in just in time for Awards. "Monster's Ball" a couple of years ago was a good example. In Des Moines I dont think it came out until well into January.....

Having said all that, I suppose its irrelevant; as the real question was how do recent movies stack up to each other in our own opinions. I was using ROTK as a benchmark, whether it is this year or not can be debated elsewhere...... :)
Only reason I picked at it is because I feel that Shrek 2 should be the benchmark. ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads