• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do the Wealth Guidelines affect your style of play?

Sledge

First Post
My only uses of the wealth guidelines is in character creation and behind the curtain DM stuff. I always try to make sure the characters have sufficient gear to handle their challenges and that I give sufficient cash to allow crafting. No auditing necessary.

4sticks

First Post
Connorsrpg said:
Hoping some of my players may actually jump in here and discuss what they think re the campaigns I have run. :)

Connors

Alright, I'm game. I've played in Connors campaigns for a number of years now... (about 8 years now Connors! Damn, it HAS been a while! :) ) Before playing with Connors, I was never really in a group that had much focus on the 'role' aspect of the game. Treasure and XP was important, and if we played in that same style today, we'd probably sit at or above the recomended treasure levels.

My all-time favourite character in one of Connors' campaigns is a 6th level wemic ranger. At 6th level, his magic items consists of a +1 dagger, a magic battle-axe (that he isn't proficient with and never uses), and a ring of fire resistance. He has just recently picked up a magic spear (his weapon of choice), but doesn't yet know how powerful it is. For a long time, his wealth consisted of the clothing on his back, and a single copper piece. Yep, that's right. No silver or gold. No gems or jewellery. Now I know that rangers aren't geared towards accumulating great wealth, and are only supposed to carry all their worldy possessions with them, but even if this wasn't the case, nothing would have changed for this character. Material possessions just aren't a priority for him.

I can honestly say that if my ranger had magic and money thrown at him, it would cheapen my enjoyment of his adventures. It's probably a pretty dodgy example, but MacGyver wouldn't have been so great if he came equiped with everything he needed to handle a situation. Sometimes the real challenge of the adventure is making the square peg fit into the round hole. :)

cheers

blair

RuminDange

First Post
There are wealth guidelines in the DMG? :D

In all seriousness, I use a modified table for wealth guidelines to set up characters and NPC's initially, but after that, I could care less. I have never had a problem with abuse or characters not challenged even if they have more than the guidelines say they should. We have fun and things make sense for the game world, and that is all that matters. :D

RD

Vamprey

First Post
Connorsrpg said:
Hoping some of my players may actually jump in here and discuss what they think re the campaigns I have run. :)

Connors

As another of Conners long term victims :) , er players, I have to say that this style of GMing has been very rewarding as a player. Thayan Menace is right to say that there would probably be a high body count in Conners campaigns because generally this is the case, though it is generally due to the stubbourness and/or stupidity of the players rather than anything else (eg. fighting hill giants on the edge of a cliff where all they have to do knock you off the edge and you are dead).

The real enjoyment from his campaigns is derived from having a self interest in the character as they progress upwards in level, rather than through what they own, because it is so difficult to get them to really high levels. Rarely do characters get to higher than level 7 (actually I think thats the highest I've ever had) before they either get killed or we retire them for roleplaying reasons. Personally these characters feel more earnt than in campaigns I have played where level 7 or higher is the norm but the characters have heaps of magical items and money.

Like 4sticks, my one of my favorite characters (in the same campaign) lost all his equipment at first level and then progressed to level 5/5 Paladin/Cleric of Horus (2nd Ed) with nothing more than a club, which was just a branch ripped off a tree.

Ok I acknowledge that this sort of playing/GMing style wouldn't be what a lot of people would choose, but it works and I suspect a lot of people who don't play in this manner would actually find it very rewarding themselves.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Ah, Thayan Menace where are you now? Some of my players have finally made an appearance and the thread seems dead. :( Typical. ;)

Anyhow, it was good to see a couple of players post...and a cool point about the 'tools' not being the focus.

Connors

pogre

Legend
I play wrong and have bad fun.

Actually I check the wealth guidelines every five levels or so to see if we're in the neighborhood.

Problem is the PCs own a trading company and while they do have the occasional downturn stripping loot from their opponent's booty to make up for it is not really sporting. My campaign stays fairly balanced by limiting availability of certain items.

IMC PCs are probably a bit overly rich these days. Bring on the bad fun!

I like the Conan Wealth rules

Every week, you waste 50% of your treasure on ale, gambling and wenching. No saving to buy a magic sword here. Also, it is perfectly reasonable for the GM to start the adventure with you naked and locked in a pit. The next adventure can start with you wealthy beyond the greatest of kings.

I love Conan (and now Iron Heros) because the adventures aren't about the gear, not about the accounting, and not about the shopping in the DMG catalog of magic items.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
BardStephenFox said:
So do the wealth guidelines dictate your style of play?

Dictate? Not at all. I choose the rules, the rules do not force themselves upon me. If I follow the guidelines, it is because I want to do so, not because I lack the ability to step away.

I tend to follow the guidelines, insofar as I make a check every now and again to make sure the PCs are generally at or below the stated wealth.

S'mon

Legend
The important guideline IMC is the NPC wealth guideline, since I use this for PCs & for many NPCs. It's a useful guide to the minimum amount a Fighter needs to compete with a Wizard, say.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads