How do you adjudicate the spells, polymorph self and polymorph other?

How do you adjudicate the spells, polymorph self and polymorph other?

• I let my players pick any monster. The only restrictions that I use are in the spell description as

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • I let my players pick any monster that their characters have heard about.

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • I let my players pick any monster that their characters have studied.

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • I let my players pick any monster that their characters have encountered and studied intensely.

Votes: 12 26.7%

Metalsmith

First Post
pendril said:
Another way to limit any of the polymorph spells without changing the rules outright is to require careful study of the new form. This might include the capture and study of a live subject, dissection, library research, etc.

Because of the paperwork hassle, I'd also like to drop the "buff" spells altogether (Cat's Grace, Bull's Strength, and Endurance). These are cast so often, they've become a standard "cocktail" which the player invoke before every adventure.

Maks shure they study Fire so they can cast fireballs. Make them fly a kite with a key on a string during a Lightning Storm before they can start casting Lightning Bolts. A couple of Lessons in Contortion before they can cast Reduce. :rolleyes:

Might as well Outlaw Sorcerers too, their limited spell selection means obiously they have a standard spell "cocktail" that they will be using every adventure. :rolleyes:

Metalsmith

Bonedagger

First Post
Metalsmith said:

Maks shure they study Fire so they can cast fireballs. Make them fly a kite with a key on a string during a Lightning Storm before they can start casting Lightning Bolts. A couple of Lessons in Contortion before they can cast Reduce. :rolleyes:

Might as well Outlaw Sorcerers too, their limited spell selection means obiously they have a standard spell "cocktail" that they will be using every adventure. :rolleyes:

Metalsmith

If that works for you. ;) (I wouldn't do any of those things though)

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
Restricting the menue of forms would reduce the potential for unpredictable abuse as new monsters get introduced - but the spell's'd still be 'broken,' unless you picked a very restricted list of critters...

...the biggest hole in polymorph is the bit that lets you retain your equipment while assuming butch forms with huge STR and/or Natural Armor. That's one reason why Wildshape is basicly OK, even though it's more potent than polymorph in some ways.

Another biggy is the use of PolyOther as a 'buff' spell.

A simple fix might be to limmit how big a bonus in any one category (stat, natural armor, etc) you can get based on caster level.

For PolyOther, a good fix, IMHO, is to bring back the 1E "loss of personality/mentality" bit, presumably based on a periodic WILL save, making it back into a primarily offensive spell.

Someone

Adventurer
Tony Vargas said:
...the biggest hole in polymorph is the bit that lets you retain your equipment while assuming butch forms with huge STR and/or Natural Armor.

We have house ruled that. Polymorph doesn´t change equipment, period. It burst or fall inofensively when the spell is cast. Believe me, a marvelous way to avoid problems.

DeBhaal

First Post
(it wouldnt let me vote :( )

The way I figure you should adjust both spells are:

PolySelf
There is always a chance for you to loose your control, and become the creature that you Polyed yourself to, permenently, adjusted by Int, Wis, and Con(maybe not Con, but it could come in handy on occascion ;)) Adjusted up or down by your modifier.

PolyOther
A greater chance of becoming what you were Polyed to permenently. Also adjusted by Int, Wis, and Con.

Base chance whould be something like 20% or <20 on a d100.

Laslo Tremaine

Explorer
We have ruled that mages can turn into anything they have encountered or studied first hand.

This does reduce the options a bit, but mages can still polymorph into anything they can summon...

Grundle

First Post
mikebr99 said:

[OT] heh... what if your Incantatrix empowers some of the above... 7 times!!!

Nothing that one dispel can't handle. It your players have come to rely on these spells as a standard part of their characters, a dispel every now and then can really get'em to think outside of the box - or wind up inside one permanently.

on to the topic of discussion...

My gnome illusionist just made 8th level and I was considering taking polymorph self, but IMHO, its a pretty weak spell compared to other 4th level spells (Phantasmal Killer, Shadow Well, Shadow Conjuration, etc.).

Good points:
:) gives you the healing of a full day's rest (but only once)
:) possible flying, swimming, or waterbreathing abiltiy(within speed constraints of the spell)
:) Some forms may provide a slightly better attack bonus (like I WANT to be swinging at things when I could be casting spells).
:) +10 to disguise checks (Look I really am a badass - better take me out first!)

Limiting factors:
:mad: Mage armor, shield, and haste provide the spellcaster with plenty of AC (Don't need no stinking polymorph)
:mad: Most forms assummed will not have speech and/or access to equipment - No spell casting, scrolls, potions, wands, etc.
:mad: without (Su) or (Ex) abilities the forms (at least that a small-size caster can take) just seem pretty lame. Why would I want to be a completely neutered small-to-young-adult sized dragon without any equipment? So I can stand there with my meager pool of hp and get my little spellcasting ass kicked?
:mad: No gaseous form - gaseous form would actually be useful enough to justify choosing this spell as one of the two you get when leveling up.
:mad: No multi-attack. Who wants to be a Maralith with 3 broken arms?

I agree there was room for abuse with this spell, but in its current form its little more than a fancy disguise self spell - rarely worth a 4th level spell slot in my opinion. It has some roleplay usefulness, but ain't that great in combat situations.

Last edited:

Tiberius

Explorer
pendril said:
Because of the paperwork hassle, I'd also like to drop the "buff" spells altogether (Cat's Grace, Bull's Strength, and Endurance). These are cast so often, they've become a standard "cocktail" which the player invoke before every adventure.

<thread hijack>
This is totally off-topic, but the above quote reminds me. I see a lot of discussion on these boards about the joys/pains of the stat-buffing spells. My group has been playing 3e since it came out, and not once have these spells been prepared, let alone cast. Out of curiosity, is my group the only one that seems to avoid the buffing spells?
</thread hijack>

-Tiberius

Macbrea

First Post
We cast them all the time. To the point of making wands of them. When it comes to the range of 10th plus level they expect the fighter types to be buffed.

Remove ads