• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you alter CR for massive numbers of pcs?

Coredump

Explorer
Thanee said:
For tougher fights adjust accordingly. EL 6 is a difficult fight for the 4 PCs, so is EL 8 for the 8 PCs. That would be either four CR 4 opponents or two CR 6 opponents, or four CR 2 and two CR 4 opponents.

Bye
Thanee
While Thanee is mathematically correct, it can lead to TPK if you are not careful. At higher CR's it is assume the characters will have certain abilities or items. There are many things 4 lvl 8 characters can do, that 16 lvl 4 characters cannot.

I currently run a group of 8 players. What I do depends on the creatures involved, and their CR.

Since you are running lvl 4, if the encounter is supposed to be made up of CR 2-3 creatures, bumb the creatures up a bit. More HD, extra HP, tougher race,whatever. Lots and lots of little guys is boring, and still takes forever.

If the encounter is made up of CR 5-6, up the number of creatures, do not up the CR of the creatures involved.

Examples:

The module I am running had a group of Orcs for them to fight. I changed it to a group of Gnolls, with an Ogre on-hand.

The module called for Winter Wolf, I made it 2. And then had another 'show up' after a couple of rounds.

IMO anyway....

Thanee

First Post
Coredump said:
While Thanee is mathematically correct, it can lead to TPK if you are not careful. At higher CR's it is assume the characters will have certain abilities or items. There are many things 4 lvl 8 characters can do, that 16 lvl 4 characters cannot.

That's why I recommend to increase the number of opponents, not the CR of a single opponent, actually. :p

EL =\= CR

Bye
Thanee

Slobber Monster

First Post
Another good option is to raise EL via environment factors such as traps, defensive positioning, and natural terrain. A large group is likely to have a very diverse skill set, so I think it's nice to reward this by throwing in some encounters which become easier to overcome with smart application of skills.

So I like to do things like put a group of normal orcs with crossbows in a guardhouse with arrow slits (i.e. improved cover for a +8 bonus to AC among other things) and make the room accessable in some manner via all of a locked door, a slippery ledge, and climbing. Make every access within the field of fire to eliminate take 20's or 10's, and everyone gets to have some fun rolling skill checks to Balance, Open Lock, smash the door, etc. Once the whole group reaches the orcs they can finish them off easily.

With eight normal orc warriors this setup would be about an EL 5 (vs EL 4 just for the orcs). Add in a CR 2 net trap and a CR 2 seargent and it goes up to about 7 or 8.

Remove ads