• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you choose Loot?

Cute-Hydra

First Post
I know a lot of people use random methods etc, and it's not really the loot itself that concerns me. But more, if no-one in the team uses flails would you roll a magic weapon, randomise for what weapon it is, get a flail and give it to them. Or would you choose a weapon type, say long sword that someone will use?

Cute-Hydra

Zaran

Adventurer
I pick out weapons for the party. I don't let them have wish lists. I might take a request but I haven't had that. My players are pretty good about using what they find. I do try to hand things out evenly although I've had times when something I meant for one PC to be given to a different one, but that's the players' choice. I also throw in extra items that really have no effect every so often.

I have been trying to keep to the 4 items per level along with their suggested levels. I do this mostly because it's a challenge to find things that not only fit but are interesting.

One thing I do is alter the items by either giving them additional effects or just completely make up an item. I'll also change the name more often than not. For example, I handed out a level 4 sunblade. i gave it the ability to change to any light or heavy blade as well as gave it the ability to be used as a holy symbol for any Sun domain divine class. It fit the Paladin of Pelor that was with the party at the time. I like having interesting items and I've always felt that 4e items are rather bland as they are. I've also added a cursed item or two but don't want to say more because one of the players reads these boards.

the Jester

Legend
I give 'em what I give 'em. They might not have anyone that uses a flail but when they find a kick ass magic flail they might switch weapons for a while. Plus, I am a high-lethality dm, and so maybe by the time the party finds that magic ki focus their monk has died or whatever.

And there's always transfer enchantment, if the pcs really want to move that magic flail's powers onto their greatsword or whatever.

But yeah, maybe I'm just old-skool this way, but magic item distribution is the province of the dm, not the players. Wish lists? Bah! [geezer]Back in my day you were lucky if you had six magic items by the time we were 12th level, and three were potions and one was cursed.[/geezer]

Mengu

First Post
I give them what they need, which is not always what they want. If there is an area coming in with critters that do a lot of cold damage, I might place an armor of cold resistance in the treasure.

But I try to keep the items as optimized as I can. I won't hand out useless stuff. I did this in PHB only days where there wasn't as much choice of magic items, so there was some Darkleaf Armor and the like floating around that nobody wanted. But those have long been turned into dust. I occasionally place a free weak item to see if anyone will go for it. I think the sorcerer kept the Skull Bracers I placed a while ago, because she didn't have many item dailies.

If I place a weapon they can't use (because maybe I want a monster to be able to use it), I'll also put a transfer enchantment scroll in the loot.

I also have "make a +1 weapon into +2" type scrolls for quick and easy upgrades.

by_the_sword

First Post
Wish lists? Bah! [geezer]Back in my day you were lucky if you had six magic items by the time we were 12th level, and three were potions and one was cursed.[/geezer]

12th level? Bah! When I first started playing, 3rd was considered epic level and all magic items were cursed.

babinro

First Post
I get a wishlist from the party. Sprinkle elements of that with items that help fill in obvious gaps. Example: Ranged magical powers that can be used by melee driven characters to keep them active at all times. Burst/Blast items to give single target PC's something different to play with once and a while.

From there it is simply experimental, you know what is overpowered immediately...these items can be given out, but have to be spread out significantly. In my campaign, Iron Armbands of Power could not be purchased, only 2 copies were eventually picked up over 30 levels. One around paragon, the other in epic.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads