• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you choose Loot?

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
Our group is starting a new experiment to make this less of an issue: inherent bonuses.

Our party just hit 6th level, and we've wiped out all of the party's magic items to give us a sort of reboot. Everyone gets inherent bonuses as described in DMG2. Then everyone can pick a single item of their level to replace the missing items.

For loot, I'm going to be picking things, but there will be fewer of them (as described in the DMG2 section on inherent bonuses) and they're going to be mostly items that are not the big three (weapon/implement, armor, neck) that are covered by the inherent bonuses.

We are also slowing down our rate of advancement from gaining a level every two sessions to gaining every three -- so they're only going to be finding 1-2 magic items per session now.

At the same time, this game is set in Eberron, so there needs to be a strong sense of magic in the world, so I'm going to be replacing "art objects" with a variety of mundane magical items -- spoons of stirring, everful coffee mill, maybe a diary with a low-grade arcane lock on it, that sort of thing.

We'll see how it goes . . . .

-rg

korjik

First Post
For enhancement bonus items, I give what the party needs, of appropriate level. For the rest, I toss out a bunch of items and consider half of them to be cash-in-waiting. I give out the extra items to see how the party uses them. Most arent particulary powerful, so it is no big deal. I dont lock myself to the L+4,L+3,L+2,L+1 rule for the levels, cause sometimes there isnt an appropriate item of the specific level.

Mengu

First Post
I wanted to add one more thing I do when handing out loot.

I give neck item upgrades first, magic weapons/implements next, armor last (except for my one highly un-optimized player who gets his weapon upgrade first). Neck is first because I feel NAD's are usually pretty low and could use all the help. Armor is last because I prefer lower level monsters to be able to hit PC's, so I don't have to bump up monster levels (increasing monster hit points and defenses, neither of which I want) to make them a credible threat.

The Weregamer

First Post
I use the DMG II Inherent Bonus system so that I don't have to worry about who has a plus what to which. Then I give out magic items that are plot related or that I think the players will find fun. Some are classic D&D items (every good rogue needs a Bag of Holding, IMO) while others are custom items I design for the character or story or both. So far my players seem quite happy with this system.

Remove ads