• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How Do You Create Custom Magic Items?

Kyrail

First Post
I understand some items add a level bonus to the base item.

+1 scale is level 1-5, add the "Dwarven scale" abilities, its level 2. So "dwarven scale" is a +1 level ability. +2 Dwarven scale is 6, and so on.

But how does that work if you had an item power that was more than +4 level bonus, how do you figure the level of the item out?

It would bump it up and make it a +2 weapon, but it seems like that makes the weapon stronger for free, and if you added in the minimum level of a +2 item, then you have to bump the level higher and it becomes +3 unto infinity.

Same if I stacked abilities and had Flaming Dragonslaying or some such, it would bump it more than another enhancement bonus and keep on going.

Unless I'm just confused that is.

When I make custom magic items do I... just set a level that makes sense?

Honestly there is 19 magic weapons in the PHB and half of those are very high level. I know they're less important now but I will want some custom ones soon.

Zurai

First Post
Kyrail said:
When I make custom magic items do I... just set a level that makes sense?
Yes. WotC, in their infinite wisdom, decided that formulas were for the birds. Just assign a random number to it.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
For now, just pick a level you feel is appropriate, using other items for comparison. Hopefully, we'll get more advanced rules for customizing and creating magic items in a future book.

Zephyrus

First Post
Zurai said:
Yes. WotC, in their infinite wisdom, decided that formulas were for the birds. Just assign a random number to it.

Formula's were one of the semi-flawed design concepts of 3/3.5ed. They had their place and were useful but when used to drive everything the math could be abused and resulted in some things being disproportionally better or worse than something else, or required things to follow formula weather we liked it or not.

4e embraces the idea that formula's have their place but they don't have a place everywhere or at least allows for a more flexibility.

Finding something you feel is of similar power or several items of similar ability or power and price it in a similar range. have a look at the magical wand implements (the table) show's the pricing of wands with custom powers so unless or until they come out with more advanced treasure book with more custom item creation rules this is what we've got for now.

Wormwood

Adventurer
Zurai said:
You're absolutely right---except for the 'random' part.

But I suspect you knew that.

StormCrow42

Explorer
The Dragon article Ashen Covenant has some more magic items. It offers the Disrupting weapon as being +1 at 8th level, topping out at +5 at 28th level. So really powerful effects can reduce the the overall bonus an item can offer.

Remove ads