• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How Do You Deal With Splatbooks?

How Do You Handle Splatbooks?

• Anything goes!

Votes: 19 6.2%
  • Anything published by Wotc goes!

Votes: 75 24.5%
  • Approval/disapproval on a case-by-case basis.

Votes: 205 67.0%
  • Some things restricted at campaign start, everything else allowed.

Votes: 42 13.7%
  • Limited number of options (e.g. based on character level).

Votes: 16 5.2%
  • Core rules only!

Votes: 29 9.5%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 17 5.6%

Li Shenron

Legend
Voted a mix of things. Usually:

- I allow a set of books by default, but possibly with setting restrictions/additions/modifications
- I consider something from any other source on a case-by-case basis

Stormborn

Explorer
Right now Anything Goes; but thats because I play with the same people I have for years and none of them either a) really know about all the choices available or b) are super munchkins that will take things just because they are broken and overpowered. Basically I still have a lot of control even saying I allow everything. On the other hand, if I were to play with people I didn't know well I would probablly start a campaign with a list of allowable stuff/books and then approve or disapprove on a case by case basis.

smootrk

First Post
I will generally allow anything that a Player buys and brings to the table. As I see it, if the player is going out and supporting the industry with his purchases, then I am going to do my utmost to try to include the material that they are interested in. It is silly for me (on a personal level) to ban stuff that the players are interested in enough to go out and spend their money on, just because the material has not sparked my interest enough (yet).

I may, after reading/reviewing the material, ban small portions or specific feats/items/spells etc. but that is on a case by case basis, and usually only after the specific items is requested. No time to fully review each and every book completely. If I had that kind of time, then I would be a 'paid' full time reviewer.

Mr. Beef

First Post
I voted for the third choice, although I would easily allow the second choice as well.

I just find some of the 3rd party PrC's either not good enough, or too overpowered for for my tastes. Granted some of the WotC PrC's are no better than the third party stuff power wise. Most of the stuff I've seen is from Mongoose and I'm not that impressed with them, so I may be a bit biased.

I just find that the PrC's that are offered in the WotC books are a bit more blanced and fit in well with the world I'm creating.

That's my 1/4 lb.

Mr. Beef

Gilladian

Adventurer
I really haven't read any of the splatbooks, just culled off the web some random things like feats. I have a few campaign books that I happily use, but I have some strict limits on how PCs get access to the prestige classes/feats/spells in them.

Mostly this is campaign flavor, not me trying to be mean. I've tossed paladins for a range of knightly prestige classes, banned monks because I just can't like them, modified rangers, etc... because I am trying for a particular type campaign.

In the game at the local shop I'm going to be running soon, the game is core only and will stay core only. This is because it's an "open play" game with "first six at the table" being the ones who get to play (regular players get first dibs on spots after a couple of weeks to prove they're regular and absent/late regular players will get return dibs over new arrivals). If I let "anything go" I already know I'd have one Drow clone nut and one "I gotta play a not-evil hexblade" guy insisting on their particular fetishes. If I say "core only", there's a hope they'll behave...or just not play.

Vuron

First Post
When I used to be more of a completist I was generally ok with most splatbooks as I generally could read them ahead of time.

As I've gotten better about picking and choosing I pretty much limit to WotC materials that I currently own and are part of the setting. Thus no using FR specific materials in the greyhawk setting (although I have been known to be flexible to a degree).

For the most part this generally means Core + parts of the Races(not eberron and dragon) and complete books (not psion ) + DM2 + PHBII + Spell Compendium. Being that this is currently is 13 hardcover books that's already intimidating to be conversant with all the rules.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
Generally, I have two methods.

First, in my larger scope campaign, if the RPGA has approved it for campaign use, I use it. That's kind of a modified "If WotC makes it..." except not all of WotC's books are approved for use in the RPGA campaigns.

Second, I run an experimental campaign—on an isolated, small, yet diverse island—that has started with a limited set of even the Core rules, and as the campaign moved around and the PCs discover new things they get access to them.

KB9JMQ

First Post
In my group if it is WoTC then it is ok. A third party book is on an approval basis.
Haven't had any issues so far.

DrNilesCrane

First Post
WotC only. Too much junk in various splatbooks to be worth the effort to sift through. If a player brings me something specific to look over, I might allow it with the condition that if it proves to be a problem, we drop it. Has worked well so far (my players don't look at 3rd party stuff much at all anyway).

Aaron L

Hero
In general, I have a list of things specifically allowed, and anything else I allow on a case by case basis. I have a strict flavor for my home setting, and certain things just don't fit.

Now, for a published setting I allow anything published for it, and anything else requires a look-see and approval by me, but I generally allow most things. I'm pretty easy going, andnless I really dislike something I'll try to accommodate anything a player wants to do.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads