• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you determine hitpoints?

How do you determine hit points for PCs?

• Everybody gets max -- it's a field day for Dwarven barbarians

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • Everybody gets median -- maintains CR balance while avoiding terrible low rolls

Votes: 53 36.1%
  • Random roll, just like in the book. I like chance to be a big part of the game.

Votes: 87 59.2%

Chiaroscuro23

First Post
I've started a new game, and I'm disatisfied with rolling HPs, mainly because it sucks to roll low and it can drastically alter game balance. I'm interested to know how others handle it. If your favorite option isn't represented in the poll, please post about it in more detail.

Thanks!
-C.

Jim Hague

First Post
I tend to use the following method, modified depending on the game:

*Roll standard hit die.
*If the die comes up a 1, you may choose to reroll or take the average.
**If the roll is sub-average, you may choose to reroll or take the average, and you're stuck with the reroll, whatever it is.

Note this works better for high-powered games, not so much so for gritty style ones.

Chiaroscuro23

First Post
One thing I've done in the past was allow rerolls if the first roll came up at 1/4 or less of maximum HPs. So a 4 or lower for barbarians, only on a 1 for wizards. Maybe I should have included "some rerolling allowed" as a poll option.

Thanks!

I just have the players roll twice and take the best result.

I like a bit of randomness, but hit points are forever, and it sucks to blow that roll. With two rolls, there's almost always one of them that's average to good.

Aus_Snow

First Post
I used to have players roll HPs in my campaigns, but these days it's median, rounding up (i.e., if it was d12, it's 7.)

Works well, I find.

am181d

Adventurer
Chiaroscuro23 said:
One thing I've done in the past was allow rerolls if the first roll came up at 1/4 or less of maximum HPs. So a 4 or lower for barbarians, only on a 1 for wizards. Maybe I should have included "some rerolling allowed" as a poll option.

"4" is actually 1/3 HP for a barbarian, not 1/4. Based on your rule, a barbarian should only be able to reroll a 1-3.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
My group likes rolling. The standard house rule is that if you roll a 1, you reroll and subtract 1. And if you get 1 again, you're stuck with it!

thalmin

Retired game store owner
I allow rerolls, but with the next smaller die. (Only even-sided dice used. No d3, d5, d7)
Rerolls may also be rerolled in same fashion.

Chiaroscuro23

First Post
am181d said:
"4" is actually 1/3 HP for a barbarian, not 1/4. Based on your rule, a barbarian should only be able to reroll a 1-3.

You are correct. I typed the wrong number. I used 1/3, round down, for:

1 for d4
2 for d6 & d8
3 for d10
4 for d12

I think. Could be wrong--it's been a while.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads