• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you feel about 3e's art style?

What are your opinions of 3rd Edition's artwork?

• 3e artwork rocks! Easily the best out of any D&D edition.

Votes: 59 15.6%
  • I generally like the artwork in the 3e books.

Votes: 182 48.1%
  • I'm neither for nor against 3e artwork.

Votes: 43 11.4%
  • I dislike most of the 3e artwork I've seen.

Votes: 60 15.9%
  • 3e artwork sucks! The artwork in previous editions was clearly superior.

Votes: 34 9.0%

Sado

First Post
DragonLancer said:
I don't really like the so called "DungeonPunk" look of the corebooks. I'd much rather have something that looks a little more realistic.

Great description. I'll second that. So much of the new stuff looks like some freak hybrid of Medieval Europe meets the Road Warrior.

Last edited:

mkletch

First Post
Sado said:
Great description. I'll second that. So much of the new stuff looks like some freak hybrid of Medieval Europe meets the Road Warrior.

This seems to be the most common opinion expressed, and one I agree with. Dungeonpunk is a good descriptor. In general, the art is excellent, whether from a technique standpoint or "production values" as someone put it earlier in the thread. However, I voted "generally good", mostly because of Hennett, Soveliss and their ilk. The creatures are generally excellent. The only general failures are attempts to really make "action scenes". They wind up looking busy, not frenetic.

If I had to pick one thing that the current batch of artists is missing: subtlety. The picture of Lidda having picked the lock is the only picture that comes to mind that get's that 1st ed. feel with 3rd ed. production.

-Fletch!

Gez

First Post
Although there are few artists I don't like (Kev Walker, Baxa, Kaluta, Crabapple...), and a few bad design choices (Mialee, Hennet), the art of 3e is overall, the best of any D&D edition.

Ourph

First Post
The only reason I didn't vote "3e artwork sucks! The artwork in previous editions was clearly superior" is that the artwork in at least one previous edition was clearly just as bad.

Pants

First Post
Dark Jezter said:
In the "Should the Iconics die" thread, the subject has recently switched to 3rd Edition's artwork in comparison to the artwork of previous editions. So, now's your chance to vote on your feelings regarding 3e artwork.
Haven't we done this before? ;)

I like 3e art better than the old stuff, that is when I say '3e art' I refer specifically to the following people: Lockwood, Sam Wood, Wayne Reynolds, Raven Mimura, Ron Spencer, Steve Tappin, and Marc Sasso. Since those guys have only been getting bit parts in the latest books, my opinion of the art quality has gone down.

I do miss DiTerlizzi sometimes, as he could draw some things EXTREMELY well, but other things... not at all.

Aside from that, most of the old art was terrible stuff. However, while the technical aspects of the old art were usually laughable, the scenes and ideas they conveyed were usually pretty inspiring. Usually.

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
I already gave my views on 3e art vs. prior edition art (covers and full-page color pieces: 2e; overall interiors: 3e) in the Iconics thread, but one thing did leap out at me in this one.

The design, as opposed to the art, of most of the 3e and also 3rd-party d20 books is gorgeous - far, far surpassing that of prior editions.

I flip through some of the newer material, especially the Eberron and Dragonlance campaign books, and oh it's easy on the eyes. Compare that to TSR's pairing of black and blue. Except for the gorgeous full-page art, 2e books looked like a bruise!

But this is really about WotC-only art, so leave Dragonlance and Sovereign Press out of it.

Dark Jezter

First Post
This thread says a lot about the nature of the internet. The poll shows that (at the current time) the number of people who approve of 3e's art style vastly outnumber the people who don't like it, yet a disproportionately high number of posts in this thread are complaints about 3e's art.

I guess it's far easier to complain than it is to praise.:)

s/LaSH

First Post
Generally good. Not as much generic Elmore cheesecake as there could have been, no Brom or diTerlizzi, but otherwise I can't complain. I'll even forgive the occasional uninspired picture that could belong in other editions.

diaglo

Adventurer
francisca said:
Next thing you know, we'll be talking about how the Ranger got the shaft from the PokeMount. Film at Eleven.....

the ranger got the shaft but it wasn't the PokeMount that did it to him. to stay on topic with this thread it was the depiction of him with 2 weapons and being an elf.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads