• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How Do You Feel About Published Adventures as a GM?

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Well, I'm running X1: The Isle of Dread right now for my 5E gaming group. It's probably the 11th or 12th time I've run it, having converted it for multiple games and systems over the years. We've played it in the original B/X, and 3E, 3.5E (twice), Pathfinder, 5E (three times and counting), Call of Cthulhu (at least twice), and of course Dread.

It was originally written as an introductory, "how to run an adventure" tutorial, so it's super easy to adapt to anything.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I love the Paizo adventure paths. I’m not really a great world builder from scratch. I need a foundation to springboard off of. So, I use them as an outline but add many of my own touches.

Another aspect I love is the common reference point for folks online. It’s great to hear what worked and didn’t from fellow GMs. When somebody home brews it’s hard for me to follow along and get interested. YMMV

nyvinter

Adventurer
I do want to run Dracula Dossier sometime and I have stolen ideas and characters from some but other than that, written adventures have two things against them.

(a) I've never learned how to run them as I've at the most done perhaps three or four in total. And running a pre-written adventure seems very much to be a skill that goes against a lot of my natural impulses running a game.

(b) relying on something someone other has written like this isn't what I consider fun as a GM.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I use them as "adventure sites" in and around whatever location the players are in or which Adventure Path I am running.

So for instance, when I ran the Gates of Firestorm Peak adventure as the culmination of a 4E campaign... the party started at a camp outside the Peak in preparation for the Gates to open at a later point (and higher level). I then threaded the area around the mountain with sites that came from various modules I have acquired over the years. So depending on who the PCs ended up being and what they felt like doing, they had a mine, an observatory, a series of psychic crystal caves, a wizard tower, and other random areas for which I had material set up to use. But everything between these sites (and the actions and reactions of NPCs in these areas) was improvised.

Even when I ran Lost Mines of Phandelver and Curse of Strahd I didn't run them as-is. For Phandelver I brought in Dragon of Icespire Peak adventure sites as well as material from the 4E Neverwinter Campaign Setting book. And for CoS I incorporated additional material from Return To Castle Ravenloft, and the 4E adventure Fair Barovia! plus some side trek material from various sources to help fill out the Baratok Mountains and use as connecting material for the different areas.

I find it makes for more interesting campaigns when I have material that has been written by all different types of authors (myself included) and has all different types of styles and motifs. So the entire campaign isn't just one particular thing throughout, but can jump around, and I can foreshadow things much more easily when I know the locations/adventures ahead of time that the party could go to instead of just constantly throwing the train tracks down in front of the PC train.

bloodtide

Legend
I never really liked published adventures much. At first I used them a lot...and over and over and over. The Keep on the Borderlands and the Lost City, too many times.

But they were always so limiting. Nothing that really could be helped as they both had limited space and they have to make things "generic" for everyone.

But they were great for maps and stats and new rules and stuff. But after the first couple, I would just use a module as a vague outline.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
I'm a springboarder/adapter of adventures and have been most of my GMing life. I've run some adventures multiple times in multiple editions, updating from the original each time. I've run adventures in D&D, Mutants and Masterminds, Villains and Vigilantes, Call of Cthulhu, Traveller/MegaTraveller - and I like doing so. I'm content to have people so some heavy lifting for me in drawing maps, coming up with basic items and plots, while I adapt them to work with my groups.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
When I was a kid new to RPGs in 1985, having discovered the Basic Set and then the Expert set, the only premade adventures we ever used were the Basic dungeon, Threshold and environs, and The Isle of Dread. These were sufficient to teach us how to make our own adventures. For the most part, all through the 80s, 90s and early 00s I never used published adventures. I bought and read some, including Dungeon Magazine and adventures for other games (I especially liked reading Champions of DC Heroes adventures) but I used them as inspiration or to steal stats from. I did dabble a little in trying to run the original Dragonlance adventures at some point, but it did not go very well.

Later, in the mid 00s, I started using published adventures more. I ran the 3E "adventure path" modules (Sunken Citadel, Forge of Fury, etc) and Red Hand of SDoom (still th best module WotC has ever published). It was not until the Paizo and Pathfinder era that I really started running pre-written adventures more often. More recently, using Fantasy grounds for most of my gaming, I now run adventures more often than creating my own.

But here is the thing: I really, really don't like running modules and I absolutely hate reading them (especially WotC and Paizo style modules). I still default to modules when learning a new system (Shadowdark, for example) just to get a sense of the design intent. But if I like the game and I "get it" I prefer strongly to just run the game.

Part of it is simply that I am an improv GM and I don't see the value in detailed adventure design even if I am writing it. A loose outline, a handle on the rules, and a list of names are really all I need. That is how I run games in person and at cons. I just find that more difficult on Fantasy grounds than it is in person, so I default to adventures. But, Monday I started a new adventure "my way" even using FG and it went great. Now, I am dreading running my Pathfinder2ER Abomination Vaults campaign tonight because I do not like the adventure as written.

Anyway, enough about me. How do you feel about published/pre-written adventures? Do you run them as is? Strip them for parts? Don't even consider them? When you run an adventure of your own design, do you "write it" before play? If you do use pre-written adventures, what kind of "prep" do you do with them?
I'm pretty much exactly like you - I started in 1985 (though I didn't DM until 1989).

I didn't even read published modules or Dungeon or Dragon for inspiration. I used fantasy novels for inspiration on story structure but I believed strongly that using any details was plagiarism. It annoyed me when some of my players tried adding stuff to our shared world that were from books or published adventures.

The first published adventure that I tried to run was Forge of Fury under the idea that I should give it a try to go with the "new" 3rd edition. (I had looked at Sunless Citadel and rejected it without trying). I hated it. (I have since grown a slight fondness for it). I went back to running 100% my own made-up adventures until 2008 (though I think I might have tried White Plume Mountain and hated it, too.)

When 4e arrived, I changed my ways. Not because my attitude is all that different, but because I became a better businessman (I've owned my FLGS since 1993) and I decided that it was smart to make it at least LOOK like I think published adventures are worth buying! Since then, I have run most adventures that have been published for both 4e and 5e. I honestly think that it's much much more work to run published adventures, but I put the work in so that my players can be involved in that "Shared Experience" with people across the globe and say that they've been to Chult and fought Acererak (or whatever).

That part I guess I like about it.

The way that I get the "Improv DM" that both you and I like out of my system is that I try not to be so attached to the module that it constrains me (or my players). So whenever people complain that "Horde of the Dragon Queen is too railroady" (or whatever) I think "So? Don't let it be."

My advice to people running published adventures is "Ignore it wherever it suits you to. You find something you don't like? Do it differently." Heck, I'd add "Read it the night before. And then don't use it at the table. If you can't remember something, it's probably not worth much. Make something else up instead".

I admit that advice is not for everyone, only a certain sort of DM.

In the end, my attitude has changed about published adventures - I now think that a lot of poorly reviewed adventures are much better than a lot of people say.
It's precisely BECAUSE my expectation is for them to be terrible. Their flaws are expected and therefore don't bother me. Because I don't like ANY adventure, I can enjoy ALL OF THEM. (Or nearly all).

To me, 5e has a very good track record for Adventures, though I don't like their layout. I mean, the 4e ones were often much worse, but at least they were laid out to be run, unlike the 5e ones that are laid out to be read.

TheSword

Legend
I’ve ran a lot. In fact it’s my go to for DMing.

The main reason being time and effort
The second reason being that I hate winging it. I think my players expect substantial elements of the world to be pre-determined and any sense that the rails are laid a few feet in front of the train is anathema. I feel the same way to be honest.
The third reason is I don’t really enjoy making up details but I think details are really important.

I see published adventures as like a good games workshop miniature - inspirational, able to fitted into multiple poses, painted however I like and customizable with the many other miniatures I have. I don’t want a big lump of modeling clay (or a 3d printer and drawing program) and be told to get on with it.

I also think there are awesome writers and DMs out there that share their brilliant ideas and work and they deserve to see the light.

Some highlights

• The Enemy Within
  • Way of the Wicked
  • Curse of Strahd
  • Tomb of Annihilation
  • Skull and Shackles
  • Ubersreik Adventures
  • Kingmaker
  • Doom of Daggerdale
  • The Weave Trilogy
  • Night Below
  • Rise of the Rune Lords

These are just the ones I’ve DMd and loved

Can’t wait to start my Dragon Heist, Golden Vault, Dungeon of the Mad Mage, Curse of the Crimson Throne sandbox mash up!

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The size of the big WotC campaigns makes reading them feel like homework. And unfortunately, the adventure anthologies tend to be of wildly varying quality even within a single volume.

A big part of my frustration with Strixhaven, which I finally sold to Noble Knight a few months ago, was that, if they just gave me a complete setting, I could easily create my own adventures at not-just-wizards school all day, but instead, they stuck a lot of the necessary setting and rules information into a pretty mediocre adventure.

I am probably a 9/10 on the improv confidence scale, though. Other than pregen NPC names, I can pretty much create an adventure on the fly if I need to, and I know that's not true for everyone. (And that those other people have strengths that I do not.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads