• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you fix Crappy Spine Syndrome?

Dr. Awkward said:
The covers were made of something indestructible too. Nowadays the corners get crumpled and the front and back get scratched, but those old 1e covers were reinforced with something powerful.

I want to know where you guys got your 1e books? How much did you use them? Most of mine look liek they went through a war. Smashed, fraying corners, covers that look like they were hit with a belt sander, and broken bindings on the ones that saw the most use (PH, MM, DMG, UA, FF). You also have to remember that most of the books were about 1/2 the page count of the books that are coming out now.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. All my 1E books are held together with duct tape, and that was the case in 1988 and well before. I don't have any serious problems with any books in the 3E generation of products.

Teflon Billy

Explorer
Hjorimir said:
This reminds me of how AWESOME the AD&D 1E books were. My PHB was used and abused (thrown and stomped on) and never showed the slightest indication that it was coming apart.

I would have paid far more for my 3e books if they had the same characteristics. I can't help but say, "they don't make them like they used to!"

I'm getting old.

Damn.

I'm with you on all counts man (including getting old :))

My 1E Players handbook is still fine, 20-something years later. I shudder to think what condition any book I currently own would be in if it had been subjected to my treatment of my 1E PH.

Dawnforge just crapped out on me in this fashion not an hour ago.

Teflon Billy

Explorer
Cthulhu's Librarian said:
I want to know where you guys got your 1e books? How much did you use them? Most of mine look liek they went through a war. Smashed, fraying corners, covers that look like they were hit with a belt sander, and broken bindings on the ones that saw the most use (PH, MM, DMG, UA, FF). You also have to remember that most of the books were about 1/2 the page count of the books that are coming out now.

Chilliwack, British Columbia.

diaglo

Adventurer
Cthulhu's Librarian said:

Hobby World Laurel, Maryland.

mine has been thru several wars and back. and is still in one piece. that thing could live with the cockroaches after WW3.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
You might want to look into going to a restorationist that works with older books; he should have the materials and expertise to put the book back together good as new. As to what that would cost you, I can only guess but I'm betting more than you paid for the book new :) Still you might want to check it out. Archivists or your public library may know where such a person can be found. Or if you actually have a eral bookseller in town, he can probably know such a person.

daBooj

First Post
Btw, if you go to your local library, they probably have a page in the back room mending books. I know, cause I was once one such page. And I mended thousands of books.

We used elmers glue. We had tongue depressers which we would use to coat the guts of the spine with glue. Then we would clamp it all together, or just weight everything down with more books (always in surpluss).

But if you go to the local library and talk sweet to the old lady behind the desk, she may take you into the back and give you a full lesson on how to properly repair your books. Or loan you a video on repairing books. Decline watching the video unless feel up to a battle against sleep!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads