• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you go about making PC like enemies now?

Kyrail

First Post
Say I want a human rogue, or an Elven Paladin, whatever.

You don't make a PC character anymore right?

Not that they need to be "Rogues" per say in this case... human skirmisher would do, but it would be good to know if I had to make an NPC wizard for example.

NPC PC classes still just use PC progression?

mattdm

First Post
Kyrail said:

You can if you want, but are encouraged not to unless there's a specific reason to go to all that work. For the typical case, instead use the Class Templates in the DMG — take a base monster of the race you want, bump up the level using the quick rules for increasing everything, and then throw the rogue or paladin template on top. Presto.

Kyrail said:

Not that they need to be "Rogues" per say in this case... human skirmisher would do, but it would be good to know if I had to make an NPC wizard for example.

Make an appropriate level NPC with the appropriate class template.

Vorpal Sword

First Post
Check the DMG, page 187. It presents a nice set of rules for generating combat NPCs.

:1: NPCs get a few extra hit points, to bring their life expectancy up to regular monsters. They get far fewer healing surges, though.
:2: They get noticeably fewer powers than PCs--they won't live long enough to use the full menu of options.
:3: They don't get feats; instead, they get an abstracted "level bonus" to defenses, attack rolls, and damage.
:4: They don't need magic items unless you're handing out a specific piece of treasure to your players. See the "level bonus" again.

The end result is that NPCs are a lot easier and quicker to generate than in 3.x, and I don't think players will notice the difference.

EDIT: ninja'ed. Happens every time... :)

Kyrail

First Post
Thanks. I've read all through books cover to cover but its a bit hard to remember everything.

I knew there had to be an easy way, this is 4E after all.

:D

Vael

Legend
The NPC generation system is pretty darn sweet. I built an Orc Wizard and then added the Devastator Template, and it didn't take too long, and his numbers match up with most of the monsters at his level.

Jack Colby

First Post
Kyrail said:

Are you a DM or aren't you? Make whatever you want! Why do you need permission from someone in Seattle?

Kyrail

First Post
Jack Colby said:
Are you a DM or aren't you? Make whatever you want! Why do you need permission from someone in Seattle?

So I don't accidentally make an encounter that inadvertently kills everyone? I'm not honestly sure the difference between a rogue and "rogue" since I'm played twice now.

Anyway the intended ways have been tested for at least a year now , I'm sure they're the simplest way to get what I want. Rules are no hurdle for me, but I bought these books for a reason.

Ashenboychild

First Post
The problem i found with this was the xp value. According to the rules an NPC seems to just be a standard level monster, meaning that 'a fair challenge' is fighting 1 on 1 with near-identical enemies. Admittedly the PC's get second wind and action points, but the NPC's don't have to worry about wasting their dailies.

Just seems a bit strange coming from a game where a single NPC was supposed to be a fair challenge for 4 at-level enemies

Remove ads