• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you handle in-game travel time?

Do you play out the travel from Point A to Point B?

• 10 - We play every minute of game time equals real time.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9 - We give each day some lengthy play time.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 2.4%

Votes: 5 6.1%

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • 5 - We at least mention each day; the DM probably rolls for random encounters for each day.

Votes: 27 32.9%

Votes: 15 18.3%

Votes: 16 19.5%

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • 1 - The overall journey is described in a sentence or two, but no play time is invested.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • 0 - The PCs disappear from Point A and appear at Point B, instantaneously (Real Time).

Votes: 2 2.4%

shilsen

Adventurer
It depends on the length of the trip, but generally I use at least part of the Indiana Jones approach: the map appears, theme music plays, and a little red line moves from the point where the PCs left. I'll usually mention a couple of things that occur as the days pass and we'll play out important encounters and events.

PK

First Post
It depends...if they are on a boat taking a long sea voyage, then I'm going to "red line" it. But if they are stranded in the wilderness, lost with no idea of where they are, then we are going to do every day, set watches at night, roll survival for direction and food, etc.

I've only done the second version once in the current game and it is a nice change of pace. But if they wander into the Mournlands (Eberron game) then we will be doing much more of that.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
As usual - it depends.

Sometimes, I have good ideas of how to enhance the story that can be implemented during that trip. Sometimes, I don't - in this case, I tend to skip over the time to get to the interesting stuff.

lukelightning

First Post
They get on the machine which whirls around and sends them through a time-hole to the past, where they accidently kill their great-great-grandmother, thereby causing a paradox which destroys the universe.

Oh, you said travel time, not time travel. Nevermind.

Mycanid

First Post
I also agree with Umbran ... it really depends on the situation being described and the module being used. Sometimes there is agonizing detail, other times it's a "Bam! You are standing on the shore of the remote island." kind of thing....

Gold Roger

First Post
Depends.

I either "red line", bring on a montage, a string of significant encounters or a full day by day playout.

A insignificant sidetravel through save and known territory would be "redlined" (go back to "Heaven City" for supplies), while a travel critical to the story through dangerous territory is either a string of encounters if drawn out (long overland track through the skull desert to reach the fabled ruins of Ath Naem) or, if it's rather short, but intense, a full playout (get behind the lines of the orcish lines to contact "Redwolf").

It's all about the pacing.

Hjorimir

Adventurer
It varies and, as others have mentioned, pacing is everything. If I plan on having some encounters, which does not necessarily mean combat encounters, I tend to detail more of the travel. Otherwise, it's POOF - roll calendar - you're there.

Crothian

First Post
Early in the campaign over land travel is dealt with more, but as we establish it and the campaign styarts to focus on other things we spend less time with it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads