• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you handle players that ruins the game for everyone else?

Bad Ape

First Post
How do you handle players that ruins the game for everyone else?

Example:
The players make a plan to sneak up to a fort and kill the guards one by one. In takes about 15 minutes of discussion. But when everyone stealthily approaches, one player just starts screaming "Hello!".

Last edited:

JonnyP71

Explorer
As always - talk to them. Explain the problem they are causing as they might not be aware how annoying they are being. If they are fully aware, and it's just the way they intend to play, then you may have to ask them to leave for the good of the rest of the group.

We had a similar player. He wouldn't (maybe couldn't?) change. He knew his actions were annoying other players, but didn't seem to care. Our DM sent him a very polite e-mail explaining the problem, and asking him to tone his playstyle down a little. The player never came back, but our game is much better for it.

Last edited:

Right. Open and honest communication is always the place to start.

Assuming that the player does not initially realize that its behavior is disruptive, first explain which behaviors are disruptive, and in what way. As always, it is best to address the problematic behavior, rather than the person, "When you do [behavior] it causes [disruption]," instead of, "you are ruining everyone's fun!"

Once the player realizes that its behavior is disruptive, if that behavior does not change, then you move on to politely asking the player to leave and not return. If a polite request is ineffective, then and rude/blunt demand to go away and not return.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
How do you handle players that always ruin the game for everyone else?

Example:
The players make a plan to sneak up to a fort and kill the guards one by one. In takes about 15 minutes of discussion. But when everyone stealthily approaches, one player just starts screaming "Hello!".

Talk to him privately about that not being acceptable and then give him one warning. Another instance of that behavior and he is gone.

S

Sunseeker

Stab the annoying character in the back and claim you saw him trying to break in. Or hamstring him and leave him there till the guards show up.

Sometimes in-character punishment can clear up the problem, when the player realizes people aren't going to put up with their actions just because they're a player at the table, sometimes they stop.

Otherwise as people above have said, tell them their behavior is unappreciated and it needs to stop. If it doesn't, boot.

Bad Ape

First Post
Stab the annoying character in the back and claim you saw him trying to break in. Or hamstring him and leave him there till the guards show up.

Sometimes in-character punishment can clear up the problem, when the player realizes people aren't going to put up with their actions just because they're a player at the table, sometimes they stop.

Otherwise as people above have said, tell them their behavior is unappreciated and it needs to stop. If it doesn't, boot.

I've tried in-character punishment, but the player doesn't seem to care.

I can see that the other players are annoyed, but no one ever says anything. And also, I have this personal rule, not to interfere with how my players play their characters. But maybe I have to change that...

Last edited:

Bad Ape

First Post
As always - talk to them. Explain the problem they are causing as they might not be aware how annoying they are being. If they are fully aware, and it's just the way they intend to play, then you may have to ask them to leave for the good of the rest of the group.

We had a similar player. He wouldn't (maybe couldn't?) change. He knew his actions were annoying other players, but didn't seem to care. Our DM sent him a very polite e-mail explaining the problem, and asking him to tone his playstyle down a little. The player never came back, but our game is much better for it.

When I talk to the player, he says that he "likes when things happens". So I guess he's aware...

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
When I talk to the player, he says that he "likes when things happens". So I guess he's aware...
I see. So most of the group are planners. They see combat as war. They want to only fight when they have rigged things to their advantage, and will gladly avoid combat if it's unneeded or not to their advantage.

The problem player sees combat as a sport. Why waste all that time talking and planning? Just kick open the door and charge! Revel in the glory etc etc.

Because he resents the time spent planning, or just because he's bored, he does :):):):) like this.

I am not sure how to merge these two playing style to be honest...

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using EN World mobile app

cmad1977

Hero
If he knows what he’s doing annoys/frustrates the other players and doesn’t change or care... GTFO. Player are a dime a dozen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove ads