• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you handle rolling for HP?

KingCrab

First Post
Does anyone use the rules exactly as written for rolling hp (past 1st level)? I'm talking bout one roll without rerolls, so if your fighter happens to get two 1s at levels 2 and 3 you got yourself a fighter with 12 hp (plus possibly the con bonus). This seems exceptionally cruel since hp are so important and early low rolls can ruin a character.

I've been doing 75% round up. I've heard of people houseruling all sorts of things. What do you do in your games?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Easy. The player picks up the requisite die and rolls it once.

Result is noted on the character sheet.

Repeat at each level.

Lanefan

niolo

First Post
Same as Lanefan above. You get whachoo got. Ours have come out pretty average over time, it's the CON adjustment that makes scores above or below average for our groups.

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
Generally I do the 4d6 drop the lowest method, though for an upcoming campaign where I hope to build an epic setting, the method I plan to use is to roll 3d4 and add to a base of 8, for scores from 11 to 20.

kaomera

Explorer
DungeonmasterCal said:
Generally I do the 4d6 drop the lowest method, though for an upcoming campaign where I hope to build an epic setting, the method I plan to use is to roll 3d4 and add to a base of 8, for scores from 11 to 20.
:D

Personally I'm leaning towards giving out max hp each level, possibly with an extra bonus "kicker" at 1st level for my next game... But Raise Dead etc. will also be rare / nonexistent.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads