• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you handle spells as treasure?

Gnarlo

Gnome Lover
Supporter
I have a decent feel for giving out items and money as players advance, and I think the DMG gives pretty good guidelines as to how a "standard" party should be advancing monetarily.

I've always had a bad feel for how many new spells to give out as treasure, whether as found scrolls or spell books of the villains. The only time my players have complained has been when they felt I wasn't giving them enough new spells to fill up those precious books with, although it has almost always been more of the type of thing you see with Warez file hounds: they wanted lots and lots of spells to fill up the pages with, but they almost never used more than 1 or 2 of the found spells over and above the free ones they chose when they leveled.

So I'd like to ask my fellow DMs: How do you handle giving out spells to wizards? How many and how often do wizards normally get spell treasure in your campaign? And if there is a "typical" wizard in your game, what is his spell load by level look like?

/gnarlo!

thatdarncat

Overlord of Chat
It depends on the level.

Lower level wizards are more likely to have their spell books handy and unguarded (or simply less well guarded) than higher level wizards. Sort of a matter of resources.

Remove ads