• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you heal outside a fight?

Zanderfax

First Post
My group played 4e for the first time Sunday, we had a lovely fight against some pesky kobolds that took two of our party down to unconsiousness.

Party:

Wizard
Fighter
Warlord
Rouge
Ranger

Our Warlord and Ranger were the two out of commission. The Wizard and the Fighter have the Healing skill. The wizard stabilized the Ranger during combat and the Warlord went down late.

My question is this: How do you use healing surges outside combat? Can the Healing skill bring HP's up to >0? Or are we doomed as a party because we have no cleric or healing potions?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Z

Tony Vargas

Legend
At the end of a Short rest you can spend as many healing surges as you like.

It's been pointed out to me, and I'm not sure if it's legal or intended, but you can take a short rest, then expend encounter healing powers, like Healing Word that give a bonus to surges, then take another short rest. This makes your healing surges more effective, but gets into the kind of fussy timekeeping that 4e is trying to get away from.

DemonLord57

First Post

It's been pointed out to me, and I'm not sure if it's legal or intended, but you can take a short rest, then expend encounter healing powers, like Healing Word that give a bonus to surges, then take another short rest. This makes your healing surges more effective, but gets into the kind of fussy timekeeping that 4e is trying to get away from.

Yes, this is perfectly legal. If not intended... well then the designers were rather thick to not notice something like this... In any case, if you couldn't use powers outside of combat and then take a short rest, then what would be the point of powers like spider climb? You can climb, but then you need to get into a combat and then rest before you can use it again?

coisinha verde

First Post

yes, that's a question I want to ask!!
Can you expend healing powers when you take a short rest???

coisinha verde

First Post
Yes, this is perfectly legal. If not intended... well then the designers were rather thick to not notice something like this... In any case, if you couldn't use powers outside of combat and then take a short rest, then what would be the point of powers like spider climb? You can climb, but then you need to get into a combat and then rest before you can use it again?

ok... so... everyone always gets an extra 1d6 when spend healing surges in short rests... is that right?

DemonLord57

First Post
ok... so... everyone always gets an extra 1d6 when spend healing surges in short rests... is that right?

Not entirely. First of all, it's 1d6+Wis mod if you have a cleric. :D Second, you still have to take a short rest to bring back the Healing Word. So, you may have to take a short rest after a short rest to get Healing Word back so that you can use it again (if you needed a lot of healing). Then you should spend a short rest getting it back for the next encounter.

coisinha verde

First Post
Not entirely. First of all, it's 1d6+Wis mod if you have a cleric. :D Second, you still have to take a short rest to bring back the Healing Word. So, you may have to take a short rest after a short rest to get Healing Word back so that you can use it again (if you needed a lot of healing). Then you should spend a short rest getting it back for the next encounter.

ok... so... 1 hour rest and the party is ready for more combats!! and of course, roling dices after dices... (I know it won't take so much time, but i'm melodramatic... hehe)

Remove ads