• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you interpret rules?

How do you rule? ;)

• By. The. Book.

Votes: 14 11.8%
  • What I feel would work.

Votes: 43 36.1%
  • What I think the design intent was.

Votes: 59 49.6%
  • I Don't DM/Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%

Family

First Post
With the advent of a new edition of D&D, comes a large wave of grey areas the DMs end up arbitrating. Misspelling of "keywords", "uber" combinations, interactions with the unspecified physics of the gameworld, exploitable rules, grey (gray?) areas etc.

How do you bring down the hammer?

I voted "what I feel would work," but that's not entirely accurate.

I try to take into account both the RAW and what I believe design intent was. At the end of the day, though, what I feel works best for the game at the time trumps either of those, if and when there's a conflict.

Family

First Post
If it's possible judge what the Groupthink ends up leaning toward.
Otherwise I rule that it is under "other". :D

Family

First Post
I bow. (Also on a second reading it occurs to me that my post may have come across snarky, it was meant with good intent).

LowSpine

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
I voted "what I feel would work," but that's not entirely accurate.

I try to take into account both the RAW and what I believe design intent was. At the end of the day, though, what I feel works best for the game at the time trumps either of those, if and when there's a conflict.

You said it first. The only way that makes sense when you take away personality damage - Example = "The rules are the rules - it doesn't matter if it doesn't work or make sense."

D'karr

Adventurer
Family said:
With the advent of a new edition of D&D, comes a large wave of grey areas the DMs end up arbitrating. Misspelling of "keywords", "uber" combinations, interactions with the unspecified physics of the gameworld, exploitable rules, grey (gray?) areas etc.

How do you bring down the hammer?

Actually I usually try no interpretation, english is my first language so it should require no interpretation. In that case, a strict do what it says is easier. However, there are some gray areas that I'll grant are sketchy. So on those occasions I usually rule using the spirit of the rule rather than the letter.

Remove ads